Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
So, hands up who's heard of chatbots?

Hmm, not many of you, though those who have may know what it's all about already.

If you haven't, then you might want to check this out. In a nutshell, chatbots are AI programs designed to simulate human conversation - to deal with anything humans can throw at them. Conversationally that is - they won't cook you dinner or mow your lawn (and humans can come up with some very weird conversational gambits - trust me, I've read the transcripts, so I know they can!) They can be coded for fun, or for serious applications (eg: AOL's Chloe.)
From Eliza to Jabberwacky, the ultimate goal of most chatbot writers would be to eventually code a bot that could pass itself off as human in any IM-type exchange (a goal which hasn't yet been realized,) but in the meantime, and while they're not perfect, they are an awful lot of fun ;)

So, the Chatterbox Challenge is one of the longest established contests (this is its 11th year,) there are medals and $1000 cash for the winners, and the public get to vote for their favourites. And we're sponsoring it. And if last year was anything to go by, there's a very real chance of an entertaining flamewar to liven things up in the aftermath (I hope it doesn't come to that this time, but I'm bringing marshmallows and a toasting fork - just in case :))

My own bot (Brother Jerome -he's a slightly bonkers cyber-monk on a mission,) won't be entering this year (hey, we've got to give the others a chance ;)) but we have 14 entrants already, and there are still several weeks to go before the deadline, so I'm hoping for a good turnout.

Anyway, if you fancy getting involved, click on over to http://www.chatterboxchallenge.com/ and check out some of the bots who've already entered.

Arsing about on the net when you should be working - you know it makes sense :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread