The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Deeming regs claim a major victim.

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Ca Ike, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ca Ike

Ca Ike Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2014
    Cali
    For those that haven heard yet the biggest US manufacturer of vape gear has been claimed by the regs.

As of yesterday Provape has closed up shop.
    ProVape Closing. That leaves HOH as the only US manufacturer left.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ed_C

Ed_C Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2013
    Seligman, MO
    It's sad to see them go, for sure. There's still a few US companies around. Evolv is still putting out new products.

I'm not sure if their demise is 100% caused by the regs. They made the decision, for better or worse, to not follow market trends and I have to wonder if this may have been a contributing factor.

• Like Like x 7
  3. WillyZee

WillyZee Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Toronto
    I doubt it ... ProVape was not lacking for customers.

Some of us bought multiples of them when we really only needed one ... 40 unnecessary backups later and I'm still vaping the first one I bought used.

This is 100% FDA triggered.

Sent via iPhone

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ed_C

Oct 11, 2013
    Seligman, MO
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. While they certainly had their fans and they did make a well built product and had great customer service, it's been quite some time since the name ProVari has been on everyone's lips. You very rarely see Provape mentioned in non-Provari forums.

• Like Like x 7
  5. turbocad6

turbocad6 Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

Jan 17, 2011
    brooklyn ny
    I kinda agree with ed, they were just so yesterdays news, very few vapors will want to buy a regulated mod that is not temperature controlled and limited to only 20 watts now a days... yes old school fans still exist but the masses have now shifted to the latest greatest which lets face it, they just weren't interested in catering to. don't mean to say they weren't great devices, they were great for what they were, but what they were was just old stagnant technology. vaping has grown at a huge rate and vape technology has too... no matter how much you love them that doesn't change these facts really...

I am also nevertheless sorry to see them go....

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ca Ike

Jan 20, 2014
    Cali
    True to a small degree ed but the regs won't alllow then to stick to their core mission. I know they had a lot more planned and did rush to get a few things finalized. Their temp control is not as polished as they wanted it to be but it works. It is still sad to see them go.

Btw there is a difference between actual trends and forced trends. Sub ohm high watt is still a very small trend no matter how many nuclear mods are pushed out.

• Like Like x 10
  7. Ed_C

Oct 11, 2013
    Seligman, MO
    Yep, absolutely sad to see them go.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  8. Myrany

Myrany Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    So very sad to see ProVape go. I am so very happy to have the 3 I do. I consider them and my REOs to be the cornerstones of my Vapocalypse supplies. Nearly indestructible and wonderful devices.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Rossum

Rossum Squonk Mod Junkie Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Regs alone don't explain why they'd close now, with a year and a half left before they would actually have pull their products from the market in the US.

• Like Like x 5
  10. englishmick

englishmick Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Who knows. Maybe they would have dropped out anyway. Maybe they had a 2 year lease renewal coming up in March. And don't vendors have to submit the application by some earlier date in order to continue through to the 2018 date?

Anyway, I'm sorry they are gone. I was lucky and got a handful of 2.5's when they were on sale. They're just the job for how I vape. They have all the power I need. Plus a high likelihood of lasting for a long time, which is important right now. To me. Maybe there just aren't enough people like me around. Which I've often thought was the problem with the world in general.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Ca Ike

Jan 20, 2014
    Cali
    List of products and tobacco manufacturer registration is due in June I think

• Like Like x 2
  12. WillyZee

WillyZee Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Toronto
    nobody outside of ProVape knows the answer to this ... it could be related to honouring the one year warranty, maybe they did not want to be selling devices that may need to be repaired 12 months after they sold the last ProVari (the ProVaris from Provarifuel only have a 30 day warranty).

it could also hinge on giving employees a solid head start on finding alternative employment.

It's kind of hard to retain full staff and operate business as usual when they know there is no future.

• Like Like x 9
  13. KODIAK (TM)

KODIAK (TM) Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Dead Moose, AK
    Underpowered and overpriced. If I had to pick a real reason for their demise in this cloud-belching market, that would be it. That and cheap Chinese labor never helps the U.S.

But when all is said and done... should the "big one" come there won't be anything left but cockroaches and Provari's. That's how well-built they are. Got 5 myself and am thankful to have 'em.

• Like Like x 6
  14. randyith

randyith Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    North Carolina, USA
    We were a dealer of Provari and feel no other device meets their standards.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Ca Ike

Jan 20, 2014
    Cali
    I'm honestly hoping that David is considering the possibility of reopening if the current battles over the regs change things for the better. I know there was more on the drawing board than what was released and one project I know for sure was scrapped due to the regs. It's obvious coil control was in its infancy and rushed out to beat the deadline as well as the 60 watt board. I think they compromised some on their usual routine and that bothered them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  16. LaraC

LaraC Senior Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 6, 2013
    Tennessee
    I have a lot of ProVari's and a lot of ProVape Radius's, too. I'm very glad I do.

Love them!

I'm not optimistic that the FDA will really be brought to heel over the deeming regs; but if so, I hope along with you, Ike, that ProVape will reopen some day.

• Like Like x 6
  17. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hey! We don't attack each other on ECF.

• Like Like x 4
  18. KODIAK (TM)

KODIAK (TM) Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Dead Moose, AK
    And I still insist the output voltage signal in their devices is so damn "smooth" you can actually feel it in the vape.

• Like Like x 7
  19. 440BB

440BB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    That smooth signal allowed me to use regulated devices without throat irritation and remains the closest thing to direct battery power. No other regulated mod I've tried could match it.

• Like Like x 6
  20. JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 24, 2012
    BELLE VERNON PA.
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.