Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I have had to cut those white plastic caps off of bottles of BRAND NEW liquids.

I just received some flavoring bottles that have a hard black plastic "squish and turn" type top
They are an absolute :censored: to open and will be getting put into different bottles.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

1. What is a child-resistant package?

A child-resistant package is one that is designed or constructed to be significantly difficult for children under 5 to open or obtain a harmful amount of the contents within a reasonable time. In addition, the package must not be difficult for normal adults to use properly.

For a package to be child resistant, a total of 80 percent of the children tested according to the procedure summarized below must not open the package during a full 10 minutes of testing. Please check below for more information about the level of child resistance required during the first 5 minutes of testing.

To make sure that adults are able to use a child-resistant package properly, 90 percent of adults tested have up to 5 minutes, and then another minute in a second test, to open and close the package so that it is child resistant again.

Is that from Section 1700.20 of title 16, Code of Federal Regulations?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Is that from Section 1700.20 of title 16, Code of Federal Regulations?
it's from the CPSC website detailing the Poison Prevention Packaging Act
Poison Prevention Packaging Act Business Guidance

here is the disclaimer at the bottom of the page:
This document is a general summary of the child-resistant packaging standards and does not replace the requirements published in 16 C.F.R. Part 1700. This summary does not include all of the details included in those requirements, particularly those involved in conducting tests on packages for child resistance. For those details, please refer to the regulation, or contact the Office of Compliance.

Downgraded286

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2015
Ohio
That's the point I'm making. If a child somehow gets his hands on a nice bottle of e-juice, which he/she isn't able to legally purchase (and with what money, anyway), there's already been a significant failure somewhere, a failure not the fault of the manufacturer or vendor. If you're planning on having children you must understand that children require a lot of your time and attention because children do dumb things and children get into things they shouldn't be getting into. They don't come into the world already prepared for it, that's why they call it RAISING children.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
With my arthritic hands, I have to have the wife open some things for me.

I had to literally cut the child proof cap off of the last 2 liters of nic I bought from RTS. Just one more of the many "freedom of choice" we have lost :facepalm: In some cultures older folks are revered. Here we get thrown away "for the kids". :(

I have had to cut those white plastic caps off of bottles of BRAND NEW liquids.

I just received some flavoring bottles that have a hard black plastic "squish and turn" type top
They are an absolute :censored: to open and will be getting put into different bottles.

This won't work with a domed (e-liquid) cap, but anything flat from 1 to 3.5 inches. It is FABULOUS, and worth every penny. If you struggle with screw tops, as I do.
Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Deluxe Gripper Jar Opener, Graphite: Can Openers: Kitchen & Dining

This one is a little different, but show the other side.
Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Jar Bottle Opener, Red: Manual Can Openers: Kitchen & Dining

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
it's from the CPSC website detailing the Poison Prevention Packaging Act
Poison Prevention Packaging Act Business Guidance

here is the disclaimer at the bottom of the page:
This document is a general summary of the child-resistant packaging standards and does not replace the requirements published in 16 C.F.R. Part 1700. This summary does not include all of the details included in those requirements, particularly those involved in conducting tests on packages for child resistance. For those details, please refer to the regulation, or contact the Office of Compliance.

The Reason I asked is that there are other Definitions/Standards for what CRP can mean. And a Different Product may have a Different associated CRP Requirements.

And NONE of them Matter. The ONLY Definition that matters to e-Liquid Retailers is what is Specifically called out by that Poison Prevention Packaging Act.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This won't work with a domed (e-liquid) cap, but anything flat from 1 to 3.5 inches. It is FABULOUS, and worth every penny. If you struggle with screw tops, as I do.
Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Deluxe Gripper Jar Opener, Graphite: Can Openers: Kitchen & Dining

This one is a little different, but show the other side.
Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Jar Bottle Opener, Red: Manual Can Openers: Kitchen & Dining
My wife uses a similar contraption.
And that similar contraption would be me.
:laugh:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The Reason I asked is that there are other Definitions/Standards for what CRP can mean. And a Different Product may have a Different associated CRP Requirements.

And NONE of them Matter. The ONLY Definition that matters to e-Liquid Retailers is what is Specifically called out by that Poison Prevention Packaging Act.
Right, that is the correct act though, just not the text of the act itself.

I posted it to give an understanding that it's not child proof, it's child resistant, and that has a very specific definition. They're also okay with it taking an adult 5 minutes to open something. It's really meant to slow down children with low levels of dexterity, likely the ones too young to have been taught what they should and should not be playing with.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If you have to press the entire time you're twisting, this clamps and gives you a larger area to hold onto.
I don't think even something like that would have helped on the 2 I had to cut the lid off of though. I think they must have been put on by machine because even after I cut off the outer cap I still had to cut the inner part of it. The outer part had little teeth but They were stripped so no matter what I did I could not get them open. I guess I really should have contacted RTS about it but I was so stressed out all I wanted to do was get the nic transferred and then put it behind me. Fortunately I have a jar opener that works for everything else and I managed to get it done without cutting myself.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't think even something like that would have helped on the 2 I had to cut the lid off of though. I think they must have been put on by machine because even after I cut off the outer cap I still had to cut the inner part of it. The outer part had little teeth but They were stripped so no matter what I did I could not get them open. I guess I really should have contacted RTS about it but I was so stressed out all I wanted to do was get the nic transferred and then put it behind me. Fortunately I have a jar opener that works for everything else and I managed to get it done without cutting myself.
Oh wow. :(

Reactions: mattiem

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I posted it to give an understanding that it's not child proof, it's child resistant, and that has a very specific definition. They're also okay with it taking an adult 5 minutes to open something. It's really meant to slow down children with low levels of dexterity, likely the ones too young to have been taught what they should and should not be playing with.

You are Pretty Much Right on the Money Les.

CRP stands for Child Resistant Packaging. Not Child Proof Packaging. As is so Many Times mis-stated.

There is an Old Joke among people who Make/Design CRP. The Only way to make something Child Proof is to make it Adult Proof.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

BTW - Much of the CRP that e-Liquid Retailers package with Isn't going to be Allowed anyway.

Because if you Don't Hold a Cert for a given CRP Standard you are Required to use, your CRP Packaging is Not very meaningful in the Eyes of who will Ensure CRP Compliance.

Users who are viewing this thread