Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I know credit card statements are not income lol :) My point is you know you have charged this money ( on personal expenditures ). Would you not assume that at some point the bill would come, and you would have to pay for them ?

Not defending, but if you look at a number of those charges, stuff like airline tickets might be in the realm of "Oh, I though this was campaign related", or dinner out as wining and dining a donor, even Barnes & Noble of books relevant to being an elected official. And that stuff does add up to a good portion of those expenses. The rest though....................o_O

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Not defending, but if you look at a number of those charges, stuff like airline tickets might be in the realm of "Oh, I though this was campaign related", or dinner out as wining and dining a donor, even Barnes & Noble of books relevant to being an elected official. And that stuff does add up to a good portion of those expenses. The rest though....................o_O
This is also assuming that Hunter, or anyone, is actually looking at the credit card statements before paying them.

I know I look at mine, but I don't have anyone handling my finances, and I would rarely have a balance of more than a few hundred dollars.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
"All 2015-2016 Nail Spa Plus totaling $111.00"

It is very possible that he never even sees the bills so wouldn't know which account things were charged to. I know that is hard to accept by those of us that have a regular job but there are those that don't have to worry about such things. They pay others to take care of those kinds of things.

I don't know the man but at this point I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt. I can see recurring charges going on for 2 years. It could very well be that the mistake was made the first time a charge was made and thereafter the charges were just charged to the card on file.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Again, me, 60K at once, I'd notice. However, a couple hundred here, a couple hundred there, over the course of 2 years? It's not unfeasible that it went unnoticed.

I'm also not a politician who is used to having my expenses paid.

Not saying he didn't do something wrong, just pointing out that it is possible it wasn't intentional.
Wait politicians have their personal expenses ( family vacations etc.. ) paid by others ? Who ?

$ 60,000 of personal expenses ( mistakenly !? ) paid with a campaign credit card over two years. Dozens of individual charges made in dentists offices, spas, nail salons, Italian hotels, ice cream parlors, gift shops etc .... The charges never show up in your personal credit card bill. No one notices for two years !?

Well, if Duncan somehow manages to get twelve of you in the jury, he might have a shot :)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Wait politicians have their personal expenses ( family vacations etc.. ) paid by others ? Who ?

$ 60,000 of personal expenses ( mistakenly !? ) paid with a campaign credit card over two years. Dozens of individual charges made in dentists offices, spas, nail salons, Italian hotels, ice cream parlors, gift shops etc .... The charges never show up in your personal credit card bill. No one notices for two years !?

Well, if Duncan somehow manages to get twelve of you in the jury, he might have a shot :)
If I ever get charged with anything, I hope you're not on my jury, as you seem perfectly okay with jumping to a verdict without even hearing the full story.

ETA: I didn't mean that someone provides the money, I meant that they may not be the ones actually physically paying the bill. An assistant, or office staff could very well be doing it.

ETA2: politicians, like business owners, likely have some complicated expenses. If you take your family to disneyland, that's a personal expense, but if you also have a meeting with someone in anaheim, your plane ticket might be consider a business/campaign expense.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Hold on now. The dentist can easily be a necessary expense to maintain a quality smile while campaigning, and gift shops can be gifts for donors or campaign workers. Spas are good for relaxation with a good massage after working the crowds. But I'm not sure how the guy thought a nail salon was a necessary expense, but I don't live in CA and know how guys handle their nails there.:lol:

If I ever get charged with anything, I hope you're not on my jury, as you seem perfectly okay with jumping to a verdict without even hearing the full story.

ETA: I didn't mean that someone provides the money, I meant that they may not be the ones actually physically paying the bill. An assistant, or office staff could very well be doing it.

Not to worry, I'm sure your attorney will get him tossed off after maybe 3 questions.:D

Oh, and if it's a campaign credit card, the campaign finance bookkeeper would be the one who pays that stuff. Their job should be to spot stuff like that and bring it to his attention. Again, not an excuse, but something that can easily slide right by without being noticed.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I haven't judged him, just saying based on the facts ( undisputed by Team Duncan ) i find it highly doubtful that 1-every single one of those charges were made mistakenly, and
2- eighteen straight credit card bills ( the personal ones, not campaign ) are reviewed and paid without once wondering what happened to all those charges we made in our Italian trip for example.

As a betting man, i am willing to lay 5000 to 1 odds that this is not the case, but yeah, i would love to hear Duncan on the stand justifying all those charges :)

Last edited:

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Oh, and if it's a campaign credit card, the campaign finance bookkeeper would be the one who pays that stuff. Their job should be to spot stuff like that and bring it to his attention. Again, not an excuse, but something that can easily slide right by without being noticed.
I don't think i am making myself clear. I am not disputing that it's not possible for campaign staff to pay some of those charges mistakenly.

I am talking about his personal credit card statement which i assume he receives every month, not his campaign. How likely is it that Duncan or his wife didn't notice once in two years that none of those personal charges showed up in their statements ?

Reactions: Eskie

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It is very possible that he never even sees the bills so wouldn't know which account things were charged to. I know that is hard to accept by those of us that have a regular job but there are those that don't have to worry about such things. They pay others to take care of those kinds of things.

I don't know the man but at this point I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt. I can see recurring charges going on for 2 years. It could very well be that the mistake was made the first time a charge was made and thereafter the charges were just charged to the card on file.

Maybe I'm Old School.

But it would seem like if you Collect Money for the purpose of a Campaign, that you would have the Responsibility as to Ensuring that the Money Collect was Only used for a Campaign.

And if there are Laws that Prohibit you from Spending these Monies for Personal Use, that it would be Your Responsibility to make sure you Used the right CC when Buying Groceries at Albertsons.

Or when Paying for Your Cable Bill
Or when Paying for Your Water/Gas Bill
Or when You are Vacationing in Italy
Or when Your Wife is having Her Nails Done
Or when Your Kid buys a Video Game
Or when ....

This Isn't the 1st Time Duncan Hunter has been to a Political Rodeo. And was Raised in a Family where the In's and Out's of Campaign Spending weren't something New.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
I don't think i am making myself clear. I am not disputing that it's not possible for campaign staff to pay some of those charges mistakenly.

I am talking about his personal credit card statement which i assume he receives every month, not his campaign. How likely is it that Duncan or his wife didn't notice once in two years that none of those personal charges showed up in their statements ?
You would be surprised by the amount of people that don't read a statement, they just see amount due and pay.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's not like there's any real deeming regulation stuff going on. At least we're keeping the thread on the first page.:D

Yeah... This thread Hasn't really been about Deeming for awhile. Cause there just Hasn't been much Deeming news in awhile

But Bronze is probably correct. A Separate Thread probably would have been Better.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
But if he Wasn't, why would an Out Of State Company have given him $18,000 to sell their Boat for them?

:lol:

The whole boat and Coast Guard/Maritime business might explain the Aberchrombie & Fitch receipts for deck shoes and other nautical clothing to fit in.:lol:

OK, I'll stop now.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Looking at that whole list, it is possible (OK not likely but sorta stretching for it possible) to consider all that travel, dining and entertainment as legitimate business/campaign expense. However, the

"All 2015-2016 Nail Spa Plus totaling $111.00"

is a tough sell.:lol:

If legit, don't pay it back.

My mistake, see response to Mazinny below.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread