Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

jlazarus

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Ok, so trying to understand how this will affect juice shops.

Why would stop a shop from this:

1.) Selling vials of premade concentrated flavor. Say their current number one juice is grandmas's cookies (proprietary recipe). Couldn't they still, under these regs, just sell vials of that flavor (comprised of whatever flavors their recipe calls for to make that flavor)?

2.) Selling bottles of PG and VG (can't see how this could be a problem)

3.) Selling bottles of Nic Base - (presumably bought from a manufacturer that jumped through the FDA hurdles - this is just a pass through sale then).

Consumers purchase and then just have to mix together. Shake and Vape.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    When I first started vaping there were maybe two or three mods on the market and variable voltage wasn't even thought of yet. I learned to make my own box mods. Over the last year or so I've gotten into making diy eliquid. I can make my own coils and get batteries from several different places. I haven't learned how to extract nicotine yet so my main concern for my personal use is if unflavored nic concentrate will be available. I can buy wire for coils all day. I am concerned though about the medium and small business people that have invested their time and money in this industry that may be driven out of business do to this regulation.

sos2001

ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2014
    South Carolina
    Sorry :- ) But Sherrod Brown has been at the forefront along with the other Dem Senators pushing for the Deeming from the start and urging to quickly pass it.

Brown Calls for Finalization of Long Overdue Oversight of E-Cigarettes | Press Releases | United States Senator Sherrod Brown

“Every day that we wait further imperils the health and wellbeing of our nation’s children,” said the Senators in the letter. “Such a long review period may inadvertently serve the interests of big tobacco companies, which have a history of using product design and marketing tactics to attract children to harmful and addictive products.”

The letter also strongly urged FDA not to exempt products or weaken the draft regulations, and called upon OMB to submit a final rule that protects against marketing to minors, the use of flavors, or online sales of e-cigarettes and other nicotine delivery devices to minors."

Every time I hear a big government politician talk about the "children"...I think of those poor kids stuck in crappy schools so the teachers union doesn't get upset.

I've yet to see a child vaping, in a vape shop, or crying to mommy to please buy me some cotton candy eliquid.

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 14, 2012
    Orlando
    When I first started vaping there were maybe two or three mods on the market and variable voltage wasn't even thought of yet. I learned to make my own box mods. Over the last year or so I've gotten into making diy eliquid. I can make my own coils and get batteries from several different places. I haven't learned how to extract nicotine yet so my main concern for my personal use is if unflavored nic concentrate will be available. I can buy wire for coils all day. I am concerned though about the medium and small business people that have invested their time and money in this industry that may be driven out of business do to this regulation.
    Can you make a youtube video of how to make a simple mod. I think I am going to need it. Otherwise Ill be vaping over a pot of boiling water with nicotine in it.

Endor

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 31, 2012
    Southern California

1.) Selling vials of premade concentrated flavor. Say their current number one juice is grandmas's cookies (proprietary recipe). Couldn't they still, under these regs, just sell vials of that flavor (comprised of whatever flavors their recipe calls for to make that flavor)?

3.) Selling bottles of Nic Base - (presumably bought from a manufacturer that jumped through the FDA hurdles - this is just a pass through sale then).

In my previous post, on page 222 of the doc, the FDA has considered zero-nic e-liquid to be part of the scope. It's been a busy forum today, so reposting for reference:

"Also, as stated earlier, nicotine-free e-liquid that is intended or reasonably expected to be used with or for the human consumption of tobacco products in most cases would be a component or part of a tobacco product and,therefore, within the scope of this rule. These products will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis."

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe the highlighted/bolded section is intended to stop exactly what you're talking about. In this case, the premade base (which would be zero-nic eliquid in essence) would be "inteded or reasonably expected to be used" for consumption of a tobacco product (the nicotine you add and shake).

Otherwise, zero-nic could NEVER be considered a tobacco product as it contains nothing that is made or derived from tobacco. There has to be some reason it was even included to begin with.

Kent C

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US

GutWrench

Verified Member
    Apr 27, 2015
    The consumer will pay for this. Not the juice makers. Just like cigarettes and booze. People are still going to vape; no matter how much it cost. Again, just like with cigs and booze. When the gov't raises or ads an additional tax. The cig and beverage makers just tack the cost on top of the profit. They don't even feel a sting.

I suspect we will see the same thing with this.

It's ... bull....!

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 13, 2012
    Batavia, IL
    The only good news is, this is 2016, not 2010 or even 2012. The vaping scene is big now. Too big to fail right?

If there is one thing I know about the US government, it's that there are loop holes everywhere. Why do you think our tax code is so complex? It's all about special interest and money, never (shall I say rarely) about public good.

I can totally see someone calling the vaporizers portable variable voltage lighters instead.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
    May 8, 2014
    Ypsilanti mi

Zero nic juice is covered too, and the regs don't just cover juice. They include "Delivery devices, as well

Users who are viewing this thread