deleted title-not e-cig related.

Discussion in 'Day of Action' started by Gabe1291, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe1291

Gabe1291 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just found this one out. but the new highway bill working it's way through congress at the moment has a nice 900% tax aimed at e-cigs hidden in it. They are not the only ones seeing a tax hike, but the one on e-cigs is the highest of the proposed hikes thrown in as a rider on the bill. Detailed tax info: Smokeless (electronic) cigarettes (a 900% increase) RYO (Roll Your Own) tobacco (a 250% increase) Little cigars (a 720% increase) Cigarettes (a 429% increase) just Cigarettes in general (a 429% increase)

Thought this is something that the community should be made aware of. The link to a petition against it on change.org is below. Looks like they are changing tactics on us, since they can't get their FDA pets to kill the e-cig, they're just going to try and tax it to death.

Economic Justice Petition: HUGE Tobacco increase hidden in Highway Bill | Change.org

Also found the bill itself, trying to sift through the lingo to find it specifically, but I'm an engineer not a lawyer >.< So here it is for the more legal lingo savvy.
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.1813.ES:/

2. vapordraggin101

vapordraggin101 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

thanks, just went and signed it.

3. skizif

skizif Senior Member ECF Veteran

Signed...so tired of shady, back handed politics...but I guess that's just how it goes so I'll keep signing.

4. Luisa

Luisa Super Member ECF Veteran

What is the bill number and which legislators inserted a tax on ecigs into this bill? When is it scheduled to come up for a vote?

5. Scottinboca

Scottinboca Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just signed the petition. This crap doesn't surprise me at all. Standard non-transparent politics!!!

6. Shining Wit

Shining Wit Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Does anyone have a link or a copy of the text that backs up this claim, because at the moment that is all it is.
    I checked the petition page and there is no evidence offered there. Once I see it in writing I might believe it, but until then it's just another rumour with a headline designed to cause knee-jerk reactions.

Like the virus warnings that tell you a monster will wipe your hard drive and eat your children, does no-one bother to check the legitimacy of such claims before posting 'panic' messages or emailing them to all of their contacts?

I await the truth....

John

7. Katatonik

Katatonik Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Where exactly is all of this coming from in the bill?
    There is nothing about a 900% tax increase on e-cigs that I can find, even cross referencing the Internal Revenue code (which is what the portion of the bill is supposed to ammend).

That is the only part that talks about tobacco or cigarettes. It doesn't even specify e-cigarettes.
    And the only thing that part is talking about is removing a tax haven for people who make machines for people to make a tobacco product.

8. AutumnWolf

AutumnWolf Absinthe Minded Diva! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Guess that just goes to show that we should do research before blindly signing something...dang it - I shared it on FB too...

9. Katatonik

Katatonik Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Where do people come up with this stuff?

I kind of laughed when the writer of the petition said:
    It's the Big Tobacco companies' way of eliminating competition and making billions and billions of more cash.

10. mgomez

mgomez Senior Member

I just read the legislation. There is no provision that increases taxes on any of the above-mentioned products. In all sincerity, I think people should read legislation before determining that it is in any way going to affect them negatively. The legislation is available in PDF form at this URL address.

Here is the only part that mentions anything about cigarettes or tobacco:

After reading through the document carefully, there is no other mention of tax increases on the above-mentioned products. Take care and have a wonderful day!

11. SlimXero

SlimXero Super Member ECF Veteran

Smokeless doesn't mean e-cigarettes, it means dip, snus and chewing tobacco...

12. SDOrganicChemist

SDOrganicChemist Moved On

how do you sign and submit?

13. Trick

Trick Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

There's definitely nothing in this bill related to e-cigarettes. All it does is add makers of roll-your-own cigarette machines to include them an existing list of "manufacturer of tobacco products."

See subsection D of IRS Code 5702 here: 26 USC § 5702 - Definitions | LII / Legal Information Institute for the section being amended. It will simply add this to the end of that section (it's already added at that link, because this act has already been signed into law):

‘‘Such term shall include any person who for commercial purposes makes available for consumer use (including such consumer’s personal consumption or use under paragraph (1)) a machine capable of making cigarettes, cigars, or other tobacco products. A person making such a machine available for consumer use shall be deemed the person making the removal as defined by subsection (j) with respect to any tobacco products manufactured by such machine.’’

If does not increase taxes, and does not even remotely pertain to e-cigarettes, only rolling machines. Further, this was signed into law back in July -- it's already been on the books for months.

This petition is either a joke, or someone's really misinformed.

[Edit: Didn't realize this was a 6-month-old necro. Moving on.]

14. inanitydefined

inanitydefined Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

15. Koman

Koman Moved On ECF Veteran

Check the OP's post.

16. pkj

pkj Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Read the first few messages and you will find the op's post is not quite correct.
    Too bad the OP did not delete this thread and start over.

17. juicefreak

juicefreak Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

lol not to mention 900% of zero would be zero ;-) Been reading this crazy claims on ECF for about 4 yrs. when there is something substantial we'll hear about it and not before

18. sawalke4

sawalke4 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

This, 900% of 0 = 0 lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.