Description of varieties of tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milazinha

Moved On
Sep 19, 2013
Seattle, USA
Hi guys, I get quite confused while choosing tobacco flavors, because I don't know the difference between all the varieties. i.e. What is the difference between Virginia, Turkish, Cavendish, Perique, Burley, Fire-Cured, Latakia...? Does anyone care to describe their flavor profile? Do any particular types mix well together, and also with fruits, caramel, menthol...?

Also, if a vendor uses terms like USA Mix, oriental, pipe tobacco, cigar... what type of flavor can I expect?

Dustmight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Detroit, MI USA
As far as disseminating types of tobacco, this is a good starting point: Types of tobacco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most are ways of treating a few different varieties of tobacco leaves (usually virginia and burley) for different flavor profiles, that then would be blended to certain specs mostly intended for pipe smoking. There's thousands of ways of blending each kind some more as a seasoning than others. Virginias tend to be sweet and grassy, burley is nutty and earthy, Latakia is smokey and spicy and perique just downright spicy. Cavendish typically starts out as a virginia or burley and then is sweetened in one way or another and has flavor added. Think about Grandpas pipe smell and that's likely a cavendish mix. This exact terminology applies more to NET tobacco juices as they are derived from actual tobacco sources and can be expected to taste somewhat like the originals. There's a huge and well documented thread here that covers just about everything you could possibly want to know. Personally, I think Mountain Oak Vapors "Full Virginia Flake RY4" is/was one of the best uses of virginia extract in an e-juice. the sweet/grassy tobacco blends very well with a strong caramel and hints of vanilla. They are currently having some trouble with their caramel flavoring and the juice is not available. When/if it comes back around I highly recommend you try it.

Dustmight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Detroit, MI USA
can anyone tell me what tobacco types these all are?

To my knowledge, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, GoodLife does not use Naturally Extracted Tobaccos in their juices but rather tobacco flavorings. These would be synthesized flavors that may not necessarily mimic a specific tobacco type per se, but rather a general toasty tobacco essence. I've recently heard these types of juices referred to as "tobacco in name only" as the flavoring hints towards tobacco but can't really be identified as one specific type. Kind of like the difference between grape juice and grape drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread