Diabetes and E cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydesteppa

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
Hey everyone,

I have a mate that is very interested in getting his own e cig but he is concerned about his diabetes and any sugar that is in the flavouring.

I would like to hear from any diabetics that know about this particularly with the sweeter fruit flavours.

And if anyone else can give advise that too would be most welcome.

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
As a diabetic I've researched this. I agree with Wesk, you don't consume the liquid per se and it's more the smell and slight taste of the flavors I get. So I wouldn't think this would affect blood sugar at all! And I think vaping is waaaay better for me than smoking, however there is a link between nicotine and insulin.

From what I've read, nicotine inhibits the release of insulin and can leave a smoker slightly hyperglycemic (more sugar in the blood than normal). High blood sugar can also act as an appetite suppressant, which is why some smokers think smoking reduces appetite. If you google nicotine and blood sugar or nicotine and insulin you should get a lot of hits if you want to research.

Now, I'm happy I quit smoking. I am looking to get off the nicotine eventually tho. But I LOVE having all the tasty flavors to vape! Especially the chocolate! I try not to even eat the sugar free chocolate that much, so vaping my sweets is absolutely wonderful!

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I have Diabetes and just started insulin. I test my blood sugar all the time. I'm fine! Of course I vape between 11mg to 0nic. I have cut and added glycerin, Lorann's and Pg. to my 11mg so often, I am problaby getting 2 mg of nic by now..lol
Once in a while I take a hit of hubby's P.V., 24 nic marlboro and it doesn't make a difference.
You guys do know Lorann's is mostly sugar free. I imagine it's the same for the flavoring the Chinese use. The sugar is in the metabolizing of the glycol in the body. Don't injest it.:rolleyes:
The problem is Nicotine as stated before..just go as low as possible and it should be fine. It's better (with lower nic) then cigs anyday! My Blood pressure has gone way down since I stopped smoking and started vaping.
Added benifit: I don't snack as often, I vape my snacks instead.
From the Lorann site about the candy oils:
Gluten Free
Sugar Free*
*Except Maple Flavor

TheWrathOfSanity

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2009
Travis AFB, CA
www.myspace.com
I'm also a diabetic.
I'm only diet and exercise, but it means I have to check my sugar like crazy.
Since I've started vaping I noticed my sugar has actually gone down.
I think it's because I get me "sweet fix" by using sweeter flavors and eat more veggies during the day.
Did I mention I'm a horrible diabetic?
"Hmm.. if I have a Mt Dew now, then I'll just have a piece of cheese for snack... if I eat a candy bar then I'll drink 3 bottles of water"
:lol:

Safira

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Plainfield,IL
DH is a type 1 diabetic and is on the pump. He would really be able to see any differences in his BS when vaping and he hasn't. He vapes an 18 mg juice and has vaped all PG base liquid and all VG base liquid, and neither effects his BS.

I make his juice for him with LorAnn's and/or Bickfords, neither has an effect, plus he loves the juic'y jolly rancher type of flavors. I would really say he shouldn't see an effect on his BS.

hth

My blood sugars have increased from 75-120 to 180-230 since I started 1 1/2 yrs ago.
I did not know why until this week.
The last few months I have not been vaping as much (did not exactly quit but the output and amount I vaped with drastically decreased) and my atomizers were not putting out.
I recently purchased new LR atomizers and new liquid this past weekend and started vaping on Monday a.m.
My sugars immediately increased but I do not know if it is the PG/VG mixture or the nicotine.
I dont suspect its just the nicotine as I smoked 1.5 to 2 packs of cigs each day and had better bg control. I have also dipped on rare occasions, and noticed no increase in bg levels the last 1.5 yrs.
I am using 12mg with a 60/40 mix PG/ VG
My fastings have increased as well./ I check my bg 3-4 times daily and this increase is not because I just recently quit smoking as I stopped 1.5 yrs ago.
I 1st noticed the increase 1.5 yrs ago but was puzzled- now feel there is a definite connection. The common denominators are the liquid and increased usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread