Not open for further replies.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Hi Folks,

I have been looking at the DID Genesis and have found some at :-
http://www.mmvapors.com/product-category/atomizers/did/

Not too bad a price I think... so i want to ask those that are using them, what they think of them, and is the Brass post worth adding to an order? Presumable the one to get would be the full size one?

They look like they are tough, well made and I think my type of atty.

So what do you chaps and chapesses think of the DID?

Cheers..

Reactions: Vaslovik

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Hi Folks,

I have been looking at the DID Genesis and have found some at :-
DID

Not too bad a price I think... so i want to ask those that are using them, what they think of them, and is the Brass post worth adding to an order? Presumable the one to get would be the full size one?

They look like they are tough, well made and I think my type of atty.

So what do you chaps and chapesses think of the DID?

Cheers..

Ah, the DID.... my very favorite genny, and I have 3 of them with a 4th on the way. Vaya can tell you I'm about the biggest DID freak around. You are wise to get the authentic DID, and I think you will be pleased with it. Yes, the price is quite fair considering what some of the other authentic gennies cost, not to mention those re-invention-of-the-wheel gennies.

I do use the brass center posts on mine, and found that it does indeed conduct better than the SS post. In the past someone told me that it warps easily and the brass jam nuts are too easily damaged, but I've not seen any of that at all. Perhaps that person is just too hard on them with tools, IDK, but I've had no such problems.

I will advise you to get all the spare parts you can because the DID is no longer made, and when those at MMV and the parts are gone that's it, aside from what you can find used online. If you want glass tanks for it I'd recommend Bedazzled rather than ordering them from MMV, as they are cheaper and get to you faster.

00. DID - Regular

I build mine with 325 mesh coiled with 26 kanthal in a 6/5 wrap on a 2.5mm wick for .7 ohm and I'm totally happy with that. I'd been using DID's for quite a while when I ran into an issue with the ohms jumping all over the place, and taking it apart and cleaning everything well I found that under heat the juice can just occasionally get past the insulator on the top of the center post, and down into the center tube and onto your center post and that can mess up your resistance pretty good. This has only very recently happened to one of mine after longtime DID use and is not a chronic thing.

So if that happens tear it down and clean out that center tube good and get the center post good and clean too. Clean every part in hot soapy water and dry. Spare top insulators would be a good idea, and I left some for the next vaper at MMV when I grabbed a bunch of them last week, maybe they are still there.

As with any genny there are those who will bash it and claim one of theirs is better citing all sorts of nit-picky nonsense. I do understand why they say this, and of course, it's because they are wrong. Properly built and maintained the DID will serve you very well indeed. Those who have issues with it just can't build it right.

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Hi, and thanks for the excellent reply.

I do have a few clones but always prefer an authentic atty if i can afford it! Busy trying to get the Origen v2 Mkii right now, but the DID is next on my list and then i am done purchasing rta's....maybe!

When i do order it, I will keep in mind what you said about spares, and get what i can while they are still there. At least o'rings, center posts, nuts, and a spare steel tank. They do seem to have lots of spares at the moment, apart from the top insulators..none listed..

I will look for a glass tank when it arrives here, and certainly take your word about Bedazzled, and see what they have.

Genny always respond to a careful, sympathetic build, and i prefer to use mesh myself, although I am going to attempt my first SS Rope wicks in the next day or two.

Thanks again for the excellent reply, giving me confidence in these attys, I hope to order one as soon as i can.

Will let you know how i get on!

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
I have never been very good at waiting for anything...and i have to say that I liked the look of the DID, so I just ordered the Did standard, in brushed finish, plus a whole lot of spares, managed to get everything except the Top Insulators, so i guess i will have to hope it doesn't mess up on me!. Will keep looking for some. Must be some out there somewhere!

Being shipped by Fed-Ex so shouldn't take too long to get here!

Hopefully!

Will let you know how i find it when i have my first play..

Cheers

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Hey Taff, just caught your posts and I'm glad to hear you are getting your DID. I'm sorry though, to hear that someone else snatched up those top insulators. You might want to try writing them and see if they have any more stashed away, that's how I got the ones I did. I wrote Miriam and asked when they had none in stock, and they dug some up for me and put them on the site.

About Bedazzled, they have some pretty nice glass tanks, look around on their DID tanks, some of them are metal looking but you can still see the juice in there. I got by on the metal tanks that came with my DID's for a while, but I just like seeing the juice in there and knowing what's in the tank still. I'll be interested to know how it works out for you with building it, so let me know how it goes, okay? Any help I can offer, let me know.

I liked the look of the DID too, and my gut was not wrong on this :)

It's the grand-daddy of gennies, and about as old school as they come. I'm all about old school :D

Reactions: Taff Evans

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I got a clone, don't do that.
I got a mini clone, really don't do that!
WHEN I could get it to work, it was AWESOME!!!! But I couldn't keep it going very well. First it was a clone, second it was a mini and my chubby fingers didn't like it!
With any genny, you plan to fiddle with it, but the flavor is unbeatable! Always wished I could have afforded a real one, but with my wicking skills it would have been a waste. I'm awful with them, I understand that! But for the true patient ones, the ones willing to put in the work, it's a worthy reward!
(See, I didn't bash it at all!)

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
WHEN I could get it to work, it was AWESOME!!!! But I couldn't keep it going very well. First it was a clone, second it was a mini and my chubby fingers didn't like it!

Ummmmm.... yeah, don't do the clone thing. Really! Just don't go there. If you are going to do a genny do it right.

Reactions: sawlight

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Ummmmm.... yeah, don't do the clone thing. Really! Just don't go there. If you are going to do a genny do it right.
Yeah, I think I mentioned something like that?:pervy:
I am thinking more now, that I may have to break out some gennies and try them on the newer regulated mods, is that sacrilege? I mean I did use a ZAP on a Provari, how bad would an AGA-T on an Istic Pico be?

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Perfect, I was trying to resist. Thanks :)

Resistance is futile.. young Lord.. go with the flow!:D

Not many of these left now. Was tempted to get two of them, but her who must be obeyed said NO! maybe when she has forgotten that, i can sneak one in!

Last edited:
Reactions: anavidfan

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016

I have a few clones of different attys, mainly Genesis types, as i have to say that i prefer the gennys of all that i have tried. Apart from the ErlKonigen, which is awsome!

The ones i like I then try and get an authentic one of, so i treat it as a kind of trial period, for a lot less money! Doesn't always work out though, as some clones are just as you say and truly awful, and put you off buying an authentic one that is perfectly ok!

Anyway, delivery is scheduled for Tuesday, so am looking forward to that a lot!

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
You might want to try writing them and see if they have any more stashed away, that's how I got the ones I did. I wrote Miriam and asked when they had none in stock, and they dug some up for me and put them on the site.

I have just done so, and hopefully she can scare a few up for me..!

I prefer to see the juice also, don't like having to keep taking stuff apart to see how much juice i have left, especially on a new atty, where i don't know how fast it goes through the juice!

Just to add that i have just ordered two tanks, from there Vaslovik, a clear and that good looking Platinum one!
Thank you for the help, its appreciated.

Edited to say that they have just let me know that they are finished with the platinum metallic tanks, which is a shame..

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Just going to start a build rolling a wick for this one, but have a question for you DID experts out there..

First, using 3 nuts on a brass center post doesn't really make sense to me, leaving a gap and having to screw the top two together feels awkward, so would it make any difference to anything if i actually use 4 nuts so i can screw the bottom 3 tightly together, and trap the wire between the top one and the other 3 which are now solid on there. Cant see how it would but thought i would ask. Hope you understand what i mean by this..

The Did looks and more importantly feels excellent, very good quality, well built, great threads, and although its now the longest atty I have, (even longer than the Ubertoot and the Erlkonigin), looks great on my Calvert..cant wait to get it firing!

Thanks folks,
Taff

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Just going to start a build rolling a wick for this one, but have a question for you DID experts out there..

First, using 3 nuts on a brass center post doesn't really make sense to me, leaving a gap and having to screw the top two together feels awkward,

Well this is the way I've always done it and it works just fine for me:

http://postimage.org/

I lock down the top lead under the bottom brass jam nut, test the resistance, then add the top brass jam nut and tighten that down to keep the bottom locked in place. The top lead is wrapped just above the SS nut on the center post.

I agree, having to screw both nuts together on the centerpost is indeed an awkward way to go about it, but some do that. Everyone has their preferred build methods though. I'm just sharing my own :)

So are you wrapping the coil right onto the wick, or using the Petar K method with a drill bit?

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Thanks for that Vaslovik, Wasn't sure about using the ss spacer on the brass center post, but I can do that, better than trying to wind two nuts together..

I usually wrap directly onto the wick, but may try that peter k method for a change.

Will let you know how i get on, just cutting some 300 mesh to what i hope is the right size now for my wick,...not got any 325 only 2,3, and 400.
Figured 300 would be a good compromise.

Thanks,
taff

Last edited:

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
300 mesh eh? Well I've never used that, but I can tell you that a 325 mesh wick to be rolled to 2.5mm uses a piece 35mm x 40mm. 400 mesh is different, I used 35mm x 65mm for that. I'd like to recommend the Petar K method of coiling, it gives you a nice clean build and well wrapped coil. I use a 2.5mm drill bit to wind it on, put the drill bit in the wick hole after reversing the bit in the coil, lock down the bottom (negative) lead, then pull the coil tight on the shank of the bit with hemostats before locking it down on the center post.

I find that a well rolled 2.5mm wick slips nicely into a coil wound in this way and it makes for a cleaner build overall.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Just finished the coil and inserted the wick like you suggested... not fired it yet, but all looks fine so far.. came out at 0.74 ohms so not too far off the 0.7!!:D

Just fired it and adjusted a few of the coils, and its looking good so far.! Here is a very bad image of it!
kxXiAZE.jpg

Glowing nicely although its very blurred. sorry about that, pictures arent my strong point!

Will fiddle with it a while and make sure its all ok. Thats 5 wraps of 26 guage one a 3 mm screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread