DID Genesis Atomisers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Well it's done.. ended up at 0.77 so thats ok for the first build on it.

Tight airflow after using the ErlK and the Origen v2mk2, but i will persevere with it for a while and see if i can get used to it, or i may need to open it up a just a small amount. Flavour is excellent though, and i have to say that i really like it. Its rock solid and fairly simple to build on, and even with the first try on it, I can see how it could be with a better build!. Can i ask what you run yours at, power wise? I am now at 13.7 watts, or 3.25 volts, and its vaping fine but may need a bit more power though i think! By the way i used a piece of mesh 50mm X50 mm and just cut it to length after i inserted it into the wick.

Thanks you for the help, its been much appreciated.
My dog is pestering me now, wants his walk, so will take this with me!

Tightened everything up, and its now dead on at 0.7ohms.. happy with that!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Well it's done.. ended up at 0.77 so thats ok for the first build on it.

Tight airflow after using the ErlK and the Origen v2mk2, but i will persevere with it for a while and see if i can get used to it, or i may need to open it up a just a small amount. Flavour is excellent though, and i have to say that i really like it. Its rock solid and fairly simple to build on, and even with the first try on it, I can see how it could be with a better build!. Can i ask what you run yours at, power wise? I am now at 13.7 watts, or 3.25 volts, and its vaping fine but may need a bit more power though i think! By the way i used a piece of mesh 50mm X50 mm and just cut it to length after i inserted it into the wick.

Thanks you for the help, its been much appreciated.
My dog is pestering me now, wants his walk, so will take this with me!

Tightened everything up, and its now dead on at 0.7ohms.. happy with that!

Cheers.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Congrats Taff! I'm so glad to hear you have it going! Well, I drill out the air holes on my DID's to 5/64ths, and that airflow suits me just fine. I'm not surprised you find the draw a bit tight, it certainly is with the stock air hole. .7 ohm is what I vape it at too, and that works fine for me. I use Sony VTC4's with that .7 ohm coil and they are a dandy battery. According to charts I'm vaping at 25.2 watts.

What mod are you using it on?

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
I am running this at the moment on my RX200. the calvert with its 18350 battery is a bit small, but i have a SMPL 18650 mod on its way, so that should suit it well. I have a fair few Lg HG2 batteries so they will work well on the SMPl.

Just had my ohms running all over the place, but found the top wire loose..so tightened it up properly and now it seems to have settled at 0.71 .

One problem though, I cant seem to tighten up the tank enough to stop it spinning, both tank ends are tight but the tank still spins easily.. does your's spin on the o'rings?

Anyway, will keep this build tonight and may try something different tomorrow! Vaping ok now, but i think my wick is a little too tightly rolled, turn up the power a little to say 20 watts, and it gets a tad dry, mind you that's with no tilt, so running it at the moment on 3. 37 volts or 16 watts, and that's fine....these gennys are all different aren't they!

Thanks a lot, good to have sound advice with a new atty!

Cheers
Taff

Reactions: Vaslovik

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I am running this at the moment on my RX200. the calvert with its 18350 battery is a bit small, but i have a SMPL 18650 mod on its way, so that should suit it well. I have a fair few Lg HG2 batteries so they will work well on the SMPl.

Just had my ohms running all over the place, but found the top wire loose..so tightened it up properly and now it seems to have settled at 0.71 .

One problem though, I cant seem to tighten up the tank enough to stop it spinning, both tank ends are tight but the tank still spins easily.. does your's spin on the o'rings?

Do you have the glass tank or the metal one? It comes with the metal tank so I'll assume that's it. I've encountered that spinning on the O rings before, and what fixes that for me is to take it apart and clean the whole thing in hot soapy water, especially the O rings, dry it all well, and reassemble. If you got juice on the O rings at some point it will do that because they have become lubricated. It should not happen with clean dry O rings.

I've always used solid rolled wicks, and have yet to see a problem with dry hits, and if your build is right you should never have to tilt. See PBusardo on this:

It might be that your coil is not making full and even contact with the wick on each loop. This is one of the advantages of the Petar K method over wrapping it directly onto the wick. You just got this genny, and it's a new thing for you so play with it for a while and work out the build that works best for you.

I use my DID's on Poldiacs only, and have never used anything but mechs, so I can't speak to how it will perform on your regulated mod, but I'm happy for you getting it going :)

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
I should have thought of that... Must be getting old! Will give it a good scrubbing when i take it apart tomorrow..that should sort it then.

Could well be the coil not making great contact, but it does all look ok? will be taking it apart tomorrow anyway, so will make sure that i get it a tad tighter, and see if that helps. Its certainly easier to coil using that method rather than wrapping on the wick directly, so will stick with that for a while

I do prefer tight wicks, but i think maybe 300 mesh isnt the right one for this.. i use 70/30 ejuice so I will try a little 400 tomorrow, and i have some 500 on the way, and i think a tight coil of that could work really well also.

Yes its new to me and it always takes me a while to get things right on a new genny, so will see what tomorrows build does!

You are a lifesaver! Thanks again.

Taff

Last edited:

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Just finished the coil and inserted the wick like you suggested... not fired it yet, but all looks fine so far.. came out at 0.74 ohms so not too far off the 0.7!!:D

Just fired it and adjusted a few of the coils, and its looking good so far.! Here is a very bad image of it!

Glowing nicely although its very blurred. sorry about that, pictures arent my strong point!

Will fiddle with it a while and make sure its all ok. Thats 5 wraps of 26 guage one a 3 mm screwdriver

Well I get that, I can't take a picture with one hand while holding a mod in the other either :D
Still, it looks like you are getting your coil sorted out. I'd just tweak it a bit with a dental pick, which is my preferred tool for adjusting coils. I pulse the coil while very gently adjusting the coil loops with this.

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Well I get that, I can't take a picture with one hand while holding a mod in the other either :D
Still, it looks like you are getting your coil sorted out. I'd just tweak it a bit with a dental pick, which is my preferred tool for adjusting coils. I pulse the coil while very gently adjusting the coil loops with this.

Looks like a handy tool for that sort of work...I usually use either a toothpick or a set of ceramic tweezers, as i am always afraid that I could scratch the oxidation off the wick with something metal.. probably not, but us old gimmers, don't always think logically!
Anyway, i haven't got one of those! :D yet..might have to get one though, looks useful, and while i know you don't use cotton, i do in a couple of attys, the non-genesis types!, and that would be great for teasing the cotton into place..
Been using the DID all evening and its actually running quite well..still going to stick another build in it tomorrow though..

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Been using the DID all evening and its actually running quite well..still going to stick another build in it tomorrow though..

Well of course, play with it, put builds on it until you get it where you want it and enjoy it. It's a solid atty, well made and durable. It will serve you very well for years. I'm not surprised it's running well all evening. Badinfluence357 is using a ceramic wick apparently wrapped with mesh and coiled with ribbon wire. A complex build and very individual. I tried ribbon wire long ago, and didn't care for it. It was just too hard to hit an ohms target with and there was no clear analog to round kanthal that I'd always used. Went right back to round kanthal. Ceramic wicks are extremely brittle and break with remarkable ease. Mesh does not.

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Absolutely...gotta take Mrs Taff shopping right now, but looking forward to a nice long play when we get back..

So you dont use variable wattage devices at all then? So I presume then that you fire your DIDs with 4.2 volts fully charged.. and at 0.7 ohms that = around the 25 watts region if i have got that right!

Oh and Miriam with the Hat! just sent me an email to say that they are going to replace one of the brass nuts that wont screw onto the shaft, so is sending me a new pack of them, and is sending the mesh and wire that should have arrived with the Atty. She is really good, as I offered to send back the nut so she could see it was faulty, and she just took my word for it. Great service from this company!. When the 325 arrives will try that also and see how that does for me.

Fun times...I love playing about with builds!:D

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Nope, never use VW, just mechs, and just Poldiacs. Have 5 of them now, and 4 DID's. Miriam is the greatest, and yes the service from MMV is marvelous. I'm playing with builds this morning too, just got a BMG22, made in Israel, and I'm having fun with that. Miriam tells me my newest Poldiac is a Hoey Sleek.

I'm still working on that very old original DID I just got. It needs the SS spacer for the center post, which I have 4 of on order. I think you will be happy with the 325, it's been working well for me.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
I do like my RX200 though, lots of power and 3 X HG2 18650's mean 2 days or so before i need to swap out the batteries. Looking forward to my SMPL coming though, be great for out and about instead of carting the Rx around, as its quite heavy!

Can i ask where you got the original DID? has there been many changes for the up-to-date ones?

I do like old things, they seem to have been build better than the newer, (change them every two months and sell another one), items.

They no longer make the Poldiac do they? shame that, by all reports they are excellent. I always seem to find out about things just as they stop producing them!

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Ah, well the original DID I got from Vaya on here, and the Poldiac too, and the BMG22 as well. Now the original DID was not serial numbered, nor did it have the black delrin drip tip, and it was shorter than the standard DID that I have 3 of. The drip tip on that original was metal, and looked like this:

I don't blame you for liking your RX200, seems to suit your preferences well. I just love my Poldiacs cuz I'm old and stubborn and old school, and set in my ways :)

Then too, the Poldiacs are very well made with outstanding build quality and simplicity, and they are very nice looking. Pretty much like the DID, also from MMV.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Nice purchase that original DID.. you are building up quite a collection!
Those Poldiacs look excellent...those Satin finished Mods would be a great addition to the satin DIDs! You have set me on a quest now...will see if i can find one somewhere!

And as far as being old goes, I am 69 June 13th, and still have all (well most!!) of my own teeth!

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Nice purchase that original DID.. you are building up quite a collection!
Those Poldiacs look excellent...those Satin finished Mods would be a great addition to the satin DIDs! You have set me on a quest now...will see if i can find one somewhere!

Ya know I had the same thought, getting a satin finished DID for my Miriam WTH. So are you going to go looking for a Poldiac? It's a mech ya know, and if you have not used one there are things to know about it before you start using one. Battery safety is the big one.

Poldiacs are getting hard to find too. I think there are some vendors online that still have one or two but the they are becoming scarce. Parts for them are also scarce, especially switch parts.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Yes, i do know about mech mods, i have had a couple.. in fact i started vaping on a hammer mod, (since long sold as it was not too good) and still have one or two around here. I like them for when i am out and about, but the rx is ideal for all day at home. If a Poldiac pops up, I may get it, but scarcity of parts would put me off a bit.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Yes, i do know about mech mods, i have had a couple.. in fact i started vaping on a hammer mod, (since long sold as it was not too good) and still have one or two around here. I like them for when i am out and about, but the rx is ideal for all day at home. If a Poldiac pops up, I may get it, but scarcity of parts would put me off a bit.

Ah! So you do have mechs, very good.

Well you can still get some parts from MMV, but they will run out at some point. Bottom springs are a must, and switch parts too, but those are drying up fast. I'm looking for used Poldiacs just for parts now, with 5 of them to maintain. You cannot get the double screws for the switch any more and I'm trying to source those elsewhere, but so far no luck. You might want to try VaporAuthority for a Poldiac:

Genuine Poldiac Classic™ by MMVapors - Mechanical Mod

I believe they might have an Aname Sleek still, and it's my favorite of my Poldis, the most heavily used. I have been thinking of getting a second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread