Did my batteries just go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDreamer

Jun 25, 2015
I have 2x HE4 in cuboid. Yesterday cuboid got really hot while charging so I disconnected it to cool down (~65C). I know it's not really vise to charge them in the mod but I don't have a charger yet. In the morning I connected cuboid back again and it showed "charge error" so I checked the batteries and they were at 2.1v and 2.2v. Later I managed to get them charging again with external charger I borrowed from a friend and then I put them back in the cuboid (batteries were at 3.34v at this point). Few hours later it has consumed ~7000mah although batteries together are only 5000mah and the cuboid was pretty hot again. They now read 3.8v each.

Are the batteries dead and not safe to use?
Should I get the old Nitecore i2 for 15€?

TheDreamer

Jun 25, 2015
Ok, so I got Nitecore i2(old version) because I could only get new i4 and it was almost 2x expensive and I dont really need a 4 bay charger...Also got some new HE4s because theyre cheap. So far I am charging new HE4s in charger.

I think that the mod could be damaged because I had new HE4s already in the mod so I connected it to the PC to update the firmware. I forgot to unplug it and I let it sit there connected for about 20mins and then when I finally remembered to unplug it, it was pretty hot(63C) and the batteries obviously were hot too. Then the batteries cooled off and now theyre charging in i2 and theyre pretty cool now. Tomorrow I'll try to charge the old HE4s.

Also the reason I tried to update my mod was because it started throwing atomizer short although it definitely wasnt shorting out - when it threw that error you could hear something similiar to spark and when I replaced the batteries, the error went away(make a few puffs and the error comes back with the spark/click sound). It also gets hot rather quickly, wasn't that bad before. Few months ago I already had resoldered the wires going to the 510 because they had come loose and everything was working well till this week. I took it apart again, resoldered the wires but the same thing is happening. I think it ....ed up the last time I tried to charge batteries because it got really hot and yeah - something probably went wrong and got fried. Also noticed that it is warm all the time even when im not using it

Any suggestions on what should I get as the next mod? I would like something new, but I liked Cuboid due to aluminum body and how it felt in the hand and its also quite cheap(30e on gearbeast). Should I get another cuboid or theres something new and good and not expensive thats a pretty awesome mod?

Also the i2 is a bit annoying, I kind of like quietly beeps while charging :D

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Get a Smok Alien mod. Dual 18650, great hand feel and they come in a variety of colors. There are better options out there at equally inexpensive prices.

Sparking and charge errors sound like the regulator circuit or the toroidal inductor have been shorted. I would stop using that Cuboid as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread