Did you cut down Analogs Gradually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staceylt40

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2012
East Texas
I was challenged to buy a Cig2O starter kit for $15 when me and a friend went to buy cigs after work on a Friday. I took the challenge. I had 4 cigs left in my pack and had my Cig2O. I started the e-cig and actually liked it. On Sunday I still had the 4 cigs in my pack. I decided I was gonna smoke one. Lit it, took a drag, put it out and have not touched another since. That was 2 weeks ago. I still have my Cig2O waiting on my Volt to get here. I was a PAD smoker for 30 years and I have tried everything possible to quit. I personally have to have all or nothing. I cannot do the limit myself to this amount a day stuff. I always felt like I was stressing over it and then depriving myself of something I didn't even want. I actually feel like I quit on accident and I love it!

kren

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2012
PA
I just got my Echo on Monday so I'm not talking from a lot of experience here. Smoked 1 pack a day since I was 13, Camel Menthols/Turkish Jade for the last decade or so, so strong cigs. I didn't get the e-cig to quit - still am not at all convinced I could actually quit completely. Every time i've tried to quit, I've white-knuckled it. Tried the gum, Nicotrol, hypnosis, and last time, I tried Chantix. After three months my family begged me to start smoking again - no joke - I was thisclose to being homicidal.

So I view the e-cig as a way to cut down - and so far I've smoked five or fewer every day. Last two days it's been two a day. And no white knuckles. If I smoke two a day the rest of my life, I will be thrilled. But there's this outside possibility tickling my mind - that I could actually quit completely - and right now, I'm afraid to jinx it, or give it any weight. I'm such a perfectionist, and most perfectionists don't do things because they're too afraid of failing, of not living up to their own standards...

I'll settle for my li'l old goal of cutting back right now. Everything after that is a gift.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
One thing I have noticed about cigs vs ecigs is that once you start the day with one, the other does not have much effect. As you cut down, try vaping first thing, before you have an analog...keep vaping that day until you really want an analog rather than any more vaping. Each day try and smoke later....you'll be surprised at how long it can take, if you are vaping sufficiently, before you actually miss the analog.

Cheers!

ChinMullet

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2012
Outer Space
I weened myself. I did not give myself a deadline, as I did not want to fail. This went on for weeks, smoking less and less. I was down to a few cigs per day, after meals and before sleeping. I did not know how/if i could go to zero.

Then one Friday, I ended up in meetings all day, so no cig after lunch. After dinner, I decided to see if I could skip an after meal cig again. I did, while vaping madly. Next thing I knew, it was bed time, and I realized that I was one step from my first smokeless day in 30 years. All I had to was get in bed instead of going outside and lighting up. I was exhausted, my brain fried from the all day meetings. I got in bed without giving myself a chance to debate myself.

I woke up the next morning with proof that I COULD MAKE IT FOR AN ENTIRE DAY WITHOUT CIGS. It was a huge surprise for me. I took each day step by step from there. I've come close, but have not had a cig since that first smokeless day.

I also bought about a hundred little sample bottles from our sponsors, and try 1 or 2 new flavors every day so I have something to look forward to every day (positive), vs facing a day without cigs (negative)

underice

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2012
United States
I was amazed, I tried a cheap e-cig and only went back to regular cigs when the battery broke. Once I got a replacement the change went very easy. And with better equipment (relatively speaking) and new flavors I don't have the slightest temptation to go back. My advice would be to make sure you get a good setup for the first attempt...makes it much easier.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
No - I have one cigarette while I figured out how to use the e-cigarette and that was it. I did start with a crappy model but I upgraded to 2 better models before the end of the first most. And over times I added some bigger models.

I did carry my cigarettes as a security blanket the first 2 weeks when I didn't trust the ecig equipment and didn't have spares. Twice I screwed up and got caught with no charged battery and did smoke 1/2 a cig while I waited for one battery to charge enough to vape on it. But then I bought chargers for work and spares for everything and moved the cigs and lighter to a zip lock bag in the trunk of the car (and I never needed them). And by the end of the first month I was carrying 2 models, each with a spare charged battery, a PCC for one, and had chargers at work and spares for everything at home. At around 6 months I added a charged 3.7v 650 mah battery to what I carry.

vid

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Wolverine Lake, MI
Today was good, I only smoked 1 analog, got thru half of it and put it out. Vaped all day, tried a new PV (not even gunna mention). I think I can get thru this (with some new cartos and juice). I wouldnt have done it but my new pos pv caught me between battery charges and i was drinkin. so its all good, cause tomorrow will be easy as pie and no analogs!

kren

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2012
PA
One thing I have noticed about cigs vs ecigs is that once you start the day with one, the other does not have much effect. As you cut down, try vaping first thing, before you have an analog...keep vaping that day until you really want an analog rather than any more vaping. Each day try and smoke later....you'll be surprised at how long it can take, if you are vaping sufficiently, before you actually miss the analog.

Cheers!

I think there's a lot to this - I've started every day with an analog since getting my PV, but today I started with my Vermillion River Menthol (yum!) and didn't light up until just before coming in to work at 1 p.m., and that was pretty much a "reward" I granted myself and definitely not due to a craving.

I will concede that there was some satisfaction from the smoke (damn you, tar and CO2!!!), but the taste was ewwwww in every way. Now I'm vaping away in the office and glad I'm enjoying the taste of something other than a cancer stick.

No - I have one cigarette while I figured out how to use the e-cigarette and that was it. I did start with a crappy model but I upgraded to 2 better models before the end of the first most. And over times I added some bigger models.

I did carry my cigarettes as a security blanket the first 2 weeks when I didn't trust the ecig equipment and didn't have spares. Twice I screwed up and got caught with no charged battery and did smoke 1/2 a cig while I waited for one battery to charge enough to vape on it. But then I bought chargers for work and spares for everything and moved the cigs and lighter to a zip lock bag in the trunk of the car (and I never needed them). And by the end of the first month I was carrying 2 models, each with a spare charged battery, a PCC for one, and had chargers at work and spares for everything at home. At around 6 months I added a charged 3.7v 650 mah battery to what I carry.

Wow, I can totally see getting to this point. I only have one PV with one charger and it really scares me. I always bought cigs by the carton because I never wanted to run out, and I get the feeling I'll be like that with PVs. I'm impressed with your devotion to security!!! :)

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
Wow, I can totally see getting to this point. I only have one PV with one charger and it really scares me. I always bought cigs by the carton because I never wanted to run out, and I get the feeling I'll be like that with PVs. I'm impressed with your devotion to security!!! :)

oh dear, you better get some backups right this minute! you are making me nervous :ohmy:. I read the forum for about a month before I bought anything and I bought 2 kits as my first purchase. now I have backups for my backups for my backups....you get the idea
in my cig days I never had less than 2 cartons and in the winter I had 3 or 4 in case I got snowed in :vapor:

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I started vaping about 4 months ago. Cut my analogs in half or better almost immediately. The rest I worked for. After about a month (approximately) I got down to about 3 - 5 a day. Later I got down to 2 - 3. Slipped once when I was camping in the boonies and could not keep my PV charged, but got back on the vaping quickly. Still do 2 - 3 a day so a pack lasts about a week and every time I empty one I try not to buy the next one. Tomorrow is my next try.

To get down to 2 - 3 I had to change my routine some and increased my nic (switched to DIY to make it easier) - I found the urge for the analogs was more tied to habitual routines than actually wanting the analog. They did not taste as good and many times I would catch myself taking a vape while I was smoking the analog and in most cases did not finish it. I have made it to the late morning / early afternoon on earlier trials at stopping the analogs and mostly it is tied to me stopping for gas or picking up some milk. Tomorrow I am staying inside and going to try to avoid my habitual drives that make me look for the analogs. If I fail again I will try again. Kezygirl gave the idea a couple of months ago and I have been following it. I get closer each time..., but I am not pushing it - it will happen when it happens and I am not giving up...

Neither should you...

I started vaping back in March on a mall-bought 808 with 16mg juice. I thought I'd use it as a way to cut back a bit from my (relatively mild) 1/2 pack/day American Spirit menthol analog habit. That didn't go so well. In less than a week I had switched completely back to the Spirits because no matter how hard or often I vaped I still wanted to light up right afterward (in case you don't know menthol Spirits are to Marlboro Reds as linebackers are to figure skaters).

Fast forward to late September...I rediscover my dusty e-cig and decide to give it another shot. At this point I was getting tired of the tight feeling in my chest that I was slowly developing and was a bit more motivated. So I started trying to vape as much as possible rather than smoking and hit this forum to see if there was something I was missing.

A week later i had two 3.7v egos and a boatload of 24-30mg juice with me on a coast to coast move along with the last half of a pack of smokes I had been whittling off at a rate ofmone or two per day. By the time I hit LA I had two left. Smoked the last one Jan 6. Haven't had a drag since, but I think I'm going to have a mild craving for analogs until I run through this high test juice and get down to a more reasonable mg level. Damn, long post.

lap1026

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Massachusetts
For about 3 months I would wait until my daughter came over then would either get a cig from her or atleast share one with her. It got to the point that I couldn't stand the taste of a real cig. There are times when I think that maybe this is worse for me than cigarettes, ie no long term studies, ect. but I hate the taste of smoke and the smell! I've been off of cigs since May 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread