Did you start vaping as a stepping stone to quit or a permanent replacement to cigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Do you plan to wean yourself off vaping as well or are you using it as a permanent replacement to smoking cigarettes?

Personally, I got into vaping as a baby step plan to quitting smoking/vaping all together, it's enjoyable but I still view it as a habit. I figure in the next 12 months I'll wean myself off nicotine and then I'll just have to overcome the oral fixation.

Given my history, I doubt I'll ever be able to quit nicotine. Quitting the 3,999 other chemicals will likely have to be enough as I suspect my nic addiction is permanent.

(There are studies that suggest there are those of us with a genetic predisposition to nic addiction so strong, we are unlikely to ever be able to quit. Also that long term nicotine use damages the ability of the brain to do natural dopamine production at normal levels and in ways that may not be reversible. I am probably stuck. My best option was, "Don't start". But unless they invent time travel, can't do much about that.)

HDVaper

Ultra Super Senior Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
www.oktom.com
As Rico said smoking was my only vice. I never thought I'd quit that but now that I've started vaping I doubt that ill ever quit. I enjoy it & plan to continue.

I wish you much luck & success with your plan to quit all together!!:toast:

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    As long as Vaping is a thing we do, I will be vaping. I see no reason to quit. It doesnt make me smell, it doesnt gross people out, I dont burn my clothes, women dont gag after kissing me, food tastes 10 times more flavorful...

AND I get to have my nicotine.

I NEVER used to look down at other smokers, because, being a smoker myself, 1, its hypocritical, but more importantly, Number 2... WE get it.. Take the very large group of people in the world, who dont smoke, barely drink, and dont touch drugs... What kind of release do they have? Whatever it is, its not as enjoyable as a cigarette, or a couple beers, or certainly not as stress free as certain herbs.. No, WE got it. We KNEW it was bad for us, but honestly, in the moment, having the ability to say, .... man, I need to have a cig and work this .... out real quick.. That was wonderful. Of course, back to the herbs, it also helps with such things..

So, now with vaping, I get ALL those things I listed up above, AND I get the satisfaction of having a cigarette, all the while, not having a single drag?

Why the hell would I want to quit!? Honestly if I didnt smoke, and someone told me about vaping, id be all over 0nic vaping.

V2 HeX

Aug 5, 2013
    Central TX
    Well i didnt really have a plan. I had to quit smoking because my son was going to be born soon. Now honestly i look at vaping as a hobby, so i may not stop but i could very well if i felt i needed to. I am starting to lower my nic levels, i started at 36mg and am now at 24. Though i just enjoy this too much to quit all together any time soon.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I started with the intention of quitting and keeping ecigs around for when I failed at quitting.
    Then I found out smoking and nicotine were protecting me from Ulcerative Colitis. Now vaping nicotine is a replacement because nicotine makes the drugs I'm on more effective.

If I should ever have to switch drugs or have a complete colectomy then I'll probably go back to getting rid of nicotine. If I should ever have heart problems I'll get rid of nicotine.

So someone doesn't ask,
    Nicotine treatment for ulcerative colitis

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Austin, TX
    www.thesmilingwolf.com
    No one wants me off nicotine, NO ONE.

Okay, this would be one time using "LOL" would be absolutely honest. I bust out laughing.

I remember more than one time, "Oh good, you're quitting! That's so great!" turning into, "I'll buy you a pack! Right now! PLEASE SMOKE!!!!"

:D

fatttymagoo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 28, 2013
    Rice Lake WI
    I actually didn't want to quit smoking. I loved it (well really liked it at least), but I didn't want my daughter to grow up with a smoking father. I knewif she's anything like me she'll try it because her parents do it. I don't want that for her so I tried ecigs. Gives me the same feeling so I haven't lost anything.

I just didn't expect to pick up a new hobby lol

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 5, 2013
    In the Mountains
    I did it to quit smoking, plain and simple. I smoked for a very long time and for me it wasn't as easy as, "Oh, I picked up an ecig one day and never looked back." It was very hard to make the transition. I've only been off cigarettes for a little over five months and being OFF them is what I really care about. For now I'm not going to worry about how long I vape, just as long as I don't smoke. I tried everything but the pills to stop and nothing worked, except being hospitalized with pneumonia, but then for some reason I started again about six months later. Could have shot myself. I’ll venture a guess that once I’ve been off nicotine, at 16mg right now from 24mg, for a year or so I might lose interest in vaping. Unless vaping is found to be harmful, ultimately I only care about keeping off the poison sticks.

seashells

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 5, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas, United States
    I smoke a lot when I'm tipsy. I don't smoke much more often because the smell on my clothes and hair is repugnant, and my husband hates it. I love vaping because it gives me the freedom to inhale nicotine in front of the computer, after meals, with coffee- and when I'm tipsy. All of the times I want a cigarette but don't want that smoke all around me.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
    May 6, 2013
    United States
    I started vaping to get off the cigarettes. How that would develop wasn't really on the table at that time. Now that I've been vaping about 160 days, I am starting to think about where to go from here. So far, I've dropped my nicotine from 24mg to 18mg and just a few days ago to 12mg. I plan on continuing to slowly drop the nicotine and see what happens. For now, I don't plan on quitting vaping, just making sure I never smoke again. Once I get the nicotine down to 6mg, I may try vaping at 0mg and at that point, I might consider stopping vaping altogether.

If I find I just can't quit the nicotine, then well, I'll vape; I'm clearly convinced it is far, far less dangerous than smoking.

I take this all one day at a time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread