Different Cottons for different wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrelwood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Finland, Europe.
^ You should be able to replace just the wick no problem. I've had a Genesis clone (a cheap DID-clone) only for a week, but so far the best wick I have is a hybrid: An SS wick with a layer of cotton batting rolled tight all the way to the bottom. I wrapped the coil tight on the wick. Working quite nicely, going on third tankful. On the next one I'll make the SS thinner to reduce the coil diameter and speed up the warmup even more.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Nice to see you guys experimenting with the cotton rounds. I have been using them exclusively for quite awhile now especially for my vivi novas. What I really like is how repeatable and perfectly consistent they have been. Four wraps on my medium gauge sewing needle, perfect 1.8ohm coil everytime. With all other cotton wool types (gauze, balls ect.) they fell apart so easily but these cotton rounds are very tough.

Also how long your wick lasts has more to do with what juice you are vaping. The darker the juice the faster it creates sludge. I have some really dark juices that need wick changing twice a week, but with lighter colored juices they last a lot longer. The lightest color juice I have is Double Ry4 and have been vaping on for over 2 weeks and it's still clean and fresh tasting.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Oh and if you guys want to make really long wicks you can cut the rounds in a spiral. After you roll it into a wick everythng comes out nice and straight.

Also don't be afraid to roll the wick nice and tight, it will expand. Just make sure you let it soak for at least a half hour (longer is better). Takes 24-48 hours for cotton to expand completely (even though it can be vaped on sooner).

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
A picture of my vulcan wicked with a sliver of cotton makeup remover round. I rolled my coil, installed and tested it before I threaded the cotton through it. I've been working with ss mesh for awhile with not much luck.. always a metallic taste. Finally I'm getting intense flavor and rich vapor from this thing :D As for how long this setup will last I don't know.. my hopes are I can replace the wick without having to replace the coil each time. Time will tell.

Glad you finally got it going, Donnah. I also think that looks replaceable, easy enough. My only suggestion would be to experiment with a little cotton plug between the coil and the post, reaching up to the top wire going to the post. Even if you're not getting a hot spot, it's still heating there, so might as well put a little cotton against it. Once wet, hopefully the wick should keep the plug moist.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I just love using the rounds! So cheap! and much (IMO) better than messing with the SS mesh. Wrapping the coil separate from the wick is much easier than trying to wrap the coil around the wick. My mistake early on was my wick was way too thick. I couldn't imagine trying to thread it through the coil but then I figured out that thin wicks work better anyway. The vulcan isn't very portable though, I can't imagine it lying in the bottom of my purse the way my carto tank does... but I do most of my vaping here at home so it's super nice to use here at home and maybe on the road. I don't trust the top cap to not come off... to get my air hole inline with my wick, I have to unscrew it half way around, it's not exactly loose but it's not real stable either. It would be nice to find a setup like the vulcan where the top cap screws on easily and the air hole lines up with the wick without having to loosen it.

Another thing I like about the cotton as opposed to SS mesh, I don't have to tilt it upwards to vape (so much) the cotton round wicks really well without much help.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Oh and if you guys want to make really long wicks you can cut the rounds in a spiral. After you roll it into a wick everythng comes out nice and straight.

Also don't be afraid to roll the wick nice and tight, it will expand. Just make sure you let it soak for at least a half hour (longer is better). Takes 24-48 hours for cotton to expand completely (even though it can be vaped on sooner).

Mack, would you have time to post a pic please. I've ran this through my pea brain a few, and I'm just not getting it lol.

Thanks, JD

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
... but I do most of my vaping here at home so it's super nice to use here at home and maybe on the road. I don't trust the top cap to not come off...

When you go to replace the wick you have in there, be sure and test the spin-E method if you haven't already. If you decide to set it up that way for a while, I recommend using a needle to wrap a really close wrapped coil with 10 to 12 wraps. Wrapping it as close as you can get it, the coils probably still won't touch, but don't worry if they do. As Mack pointed out, they won't short for some reason.

If you mount the coil to the left of the ground screw instead of over the fill hole, you'll be able to tighten the cap a little more to line up the air hole.

It'll deliver out enough for at least a half hour to 45 minuets of vaping, so it's not like you're constantly dripping. I'm amazed at how clean the cotton and coil stays. Gunk buildup is very slow for some reason, and of course, clean up is a breeze.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Cut the cotton round in a spiral, along the dotted line in the pic. After cut roll it tightly like normal and you have a nice straight long as you want wick.
roundcutspiral_zps17441522.jpg

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
How to make really long durable wicks with cotton rounds.

This method wastes less cotton, also some coil/wick designs require longer wicks (like the spin-e).

0_zps9895eb11.jpg

Already boiled and dried cotton round.
05_zps29da7634.jpg

Take your scissors and start cutting from the outside moving inward in a spiral direction. I cut this one a lot thicker than usual (the thinner you cut the longer the wick will be).
08_zpsf73e3738.jpg

Now straighten it out and roll into a nice even long wick.

BigLungs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2012
Champaign, Illinois
How to make really long durable wicks with cotton rounds.

This method wastes less cotton, also some coil/wick designs require longer wicks (like the spin-e).

0_zps9895eb11.jpg

Already boiled and dried cotton round.
05_zps29da7634.jpg

Take your scissors and start cutting from the outside moving inward in a spiral direction. I cut this one a lot thicker than usual (the thinner you cut the longer the wick will be).
08_zpsf73e3738.jpg

Now straighten it out and roll into a nice even long wick.

Thanks for the pics to illustrate. As soon as my kanthal comes in tomorrow or the next day I will be rebuilding my vivi nova with this technique. I will post up my review on it after I have had a day or two with the cotton. I also have some peaches and cream cotton to test out.
For everyone who has tried both techniques, which did you like better and why?

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
On my vulcan (did clone) I've been wrapping my coil and installing and then I thread the wick through it. I cut really (REALLY) thin slivers off of my "round" and twist (and twist and twist) to get it thin enough to slide through the coil. I ordered the drunker RBA from surevapes and I can't wait to get it! I don't know why, but this one really caught my eye. Maybe because it looks like a vivi nova that is supposed to be recoilable.

I thought that using the cotton, I wouldn't have to "tip" as much but I still do. I must be using my voltage too high because after a day or two, I'm already feeling the need for a new wick. Also, I have to install a new coil along with my wick because the cotton swells up and I can't get it out of the coil without messing up the coil. My carto in a tank is still my "work horse" but this gives such a clean, pure, intense flavor that it's worth the fiddling. It's perfect for lying back in my recliner LOL

Last edited:

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
04_zpse84838a7.jpg

Wrapped 33 awg kanthal 4 wraps on medium size thick sewing needle and mounted.
02_zps26cee836.jpg

Side view so you can see how small the coil is.
014_zps6ca4a63c.jpg

Wrapping coil wraps side by side so they're close together as possible (will not short). Twist your wick until you can easily thread it through the coil without resistance. (it will expand)
024_zpsbde2ead0.jpg

Extra piece of cotton on each side to fill the gap (not overwicking). This Prevents leaks and allows for a concentration of juice on both sides of the wick. (something you don't have to do)
029_zps545661f7.jpg

Trimm everything up, now let juice soak into the cotton for a half hour to an hour before vaping. I have already stressed the importance of the soak time.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
^^^i like that method, Mack. looks like a real winner. could you expand on what you mean by the extra piece of cotton on each side to fill the gap? are you placing two separate pieces to hang off of each side or is it one piece that extends across both sides?

Two seperate pieces on each side (neither piece touching or over lapping the coil). I mainly did this at first because i modified the slots larger for cheese cloth, but it preformed so well I kept doing so.

Also when rolling your wick between your fingers until it slides easily through the coil don't be afraid of compressing it too much as it will swell back up (makes the wick much stronger and adds to its longevity).

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Two seperate pieces on each side (neither piece touching or over lapping the coil). I mainly did this at first because i modified the slots larger for cheese cloth, but it preformed so well I kept doing so.

Also when rolling your wick between your fingers until it slides easily through the coil don't be afraid of compressing it too much as it will swell back up (makes the wick much stronger and adds to its longevity).

thanks mack. ive got this for wick, havent used it yet.
Organic Cotton Wick Material
i bet my girls got some makeup pads i could steal though if you think thatll work better. do you boil the rounds?

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
thanks mack. ive got this for wick, havent used it yet.
Organic Cotton Wick Material
i bet my girls got some makeup pads i could steal though if you think thatll work better. do you boil the rounds?

Yes I boil every type of cotton I have tried and I recommend everyone should as well. Even if it was safe without boiling it will taste much cleaner if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread