Different Cottons for different wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
On my vulcan (did clone) I've been wrapping my coil and installing and then I thread the wick through it. I cut really (REALLY) thin slivers off of my "round" and twist (and twist and twist) to get it thin enough to slide through the coil. I ordered the drunker RBA from surevapes and I can't wait to get it! I don't know why, but this one really caught my eye. Maybe because it looks like a vivi nova that is supposed to be recoilable.

I thought that using the cotton, I wouldn't have to "tip" as much but I still do. I must be using my voltage too high because after a day or two, I'm already feeling the need for a new wick. Also, I have to install a new coil along with my wick because the cotton swells up and I can't get it out of the coil without messing up the coil. My carto in a tank is still my "work horse" but this gives such a clean, pure, intense flavor that it's worth the fiddling. It's perfect for lying back in my recliner LOL

I really like the way that atty looks. When you get it you have to take some pics of the inside so I can see if I may want to get one. Very cuious about if it's stainless steel or chome plated as well. Love the bottle neck look.

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
I really like the way that atty looks. When you get it you have to take some pics of the inside so I can see if I may want to get one. Very cuious about if it's stainless steel or chome plated as well. Love the bottle neck look.

The top cap is plated for sure. Not sure about the rest of it.. So far this little things is working great. I can't make it leak. For the price point of a VVN, you can't go wrong with this thing. I've already dropped it twice and it's perfectly fine.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
........is a 3 hour soak in juice long enough before I vape it ?......

I think Mack says two hours if I remember right. I'd suggest trying it, and if you get a lot of popping, set it back for a while. A pop or two here and there is ok, but much more than that means you haven't let it soak long enough.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
..... I've already dropped it twice and it's perfectly fine.

Good to know. I went through three stardusts in no time due to small drops. I went to the smok redux but I've already lost one of those, so I don't think they're going to do much better. (I know I should be more careful, but I'm old and I drop things, what can I say? :D)

I just wish those were smaller--say two ml instead of four.

Last edited:

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Three hours is fine, glad you soaked! Most of us squeeze juice in our tank think that looks wet then choke on burnt cotton before we learn lol.

Bamboo doesn't sound very good to me haveing worked with bamboo in solid form. The reason it probably tastes like wood is because it has the consistency of wood even though it's a type of grass.

JazzyTech

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
California
Great! Cheese cloth seems to wick really well. I've read where bamboo is supposed to be the best but it has a woody flavor that never quite goes away.

I've tried a few different bamboo variants and it just tasted funky to me. I found out that it doesn't mix with peppermint or menthol... which just so happen to be my daily vapes.:blink:

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Grrr! My drunker was shipped Wednesday... I was hoping to get it today at the latest so I would have plenty of time to play with it but the last tracking info shows it was processed in Trenton NJ wednesday and since then..nothing! :(

That's not cool but I'm sure you'll get it soon. Really want to see if the inside is setup like my did clone or if it has equal sized posts.

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
So far I've only tried yarn and cotton balls, and cotton balls have worked the best for me in my Rainbow type dripping RBA.

Besides the good flavor I like how simple it is to change the wick because you can easily fit the piece of cotton ball to the coil diameter perfectly.

With a dripping atomizer I'm only using a wick about a half inch long, so I could probably go a week or two on a single cotton ball, even changing the wick every day, which I do even though I have gotten a week out of a single wick once just to see if I could.

Since the juice only needs to wick to a height of around a quarter inch I don't even twist or braid the cotton tight...just a few loose twists to thread it through the coils. That leaves it nice and absorbent and airy.

After having read this thread I think I'll also try cheesecloth, gauze, and maybe some of those cotton rounds.

Last edited:

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
So far I've only tried yarn and cotton balls, and cotton balls have worked the best for me in my Rainbow type dripping RBA.

Besides the good flavor I like how simple it is to change the wick because you can easily fit the piece of cotton ball to the coil diameter perfectly.

With a dripping atomizer I'm only using a wick about a half inch long, so I could probably go a week or two on a single cotton ball, even changing the wick every day, which I do even though I have gotten a week out of a single wick once just to see if I could.

Since the juice only needs to wick to a height of around a quarter inch I don't even twist or braid the cotton tight...just a few loose twists to thread it through the coils. That leaves it nice and absorbent and airy.

After having read this thread I think I'll also try cheesecloth, gauze, and maybe some of those cotton rounds.

If you like using cotton balls you will definitely like the cotton rounds (both are types of cotton wool). The rounds are the easiest to work with and are much stronger than other cotton wools (Gauze, balls, q tips, batting all cotton wools). I used cheese cloth for quite a while, now I have converted completely to the rounds.

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
If you like using cotton balls you will definitely like the cotton rounds (both are types of cotton wool). The rounds are the easiest to work with and are much stronger than other cotton wools (Gauze, balls, q tips, batting all cotton wools). I used cheese cloth for quite a while, now I have converted completely to the rounds.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for the cotton rounds and try them next.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
One week of vaping
Here is my proof on how important soak time is, also showing how well the rounds perform along with my coil side by side touching method. Also proof that juices that are clear gunk up way slower than darker colored juices. When built I let the wick soak in my tank for over 3 hours.

This is a pic of my coil and wick after vaping on it for a week. The juice I have been vaping in it for the last week is Blueberry extra (my clearest juice). Notice no burn marks or gunk build up as of yet, the flavor is as clean as it gets.
018_zps75bdac68.jpg

Last edited:

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
That's not cool but I'm sure you'll get it soon. Really want to see if the inside is setup like my did clone or if it has equal sized posts.

Took mine apart last night. Sorry I didn't take pictures.. It was late and I just wanted a new coil/wick.

There are no posts. There's a ceramic cup with a cut out for your wicks to stick out of, so your coil sits within the cup.
Wicks come out of the cup, down through 4 holes into the tank.
The cup has two TINY holes in the bottom to feed the leads of your coil down. PITA, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.
Below the cup, there is a rubber gromet and small center post that pop out. It rebuilds like a VVN atty head.
The top screws in (the center post has threads) to the air tube that runs through the center of the tank and is your 510 connection.

It's designed in such a way that I get ZERO backwash into my tank. My juice stays perfectly clear. Any gunking from the coil might affect the wick, but the wick never bleeds that crap into my juice. That alone makes it head and shoulders better than a VVN in my mind.

I rebuilt with cotton gauze last night. Not sure I'm particularly thrilled with it. My next venture with this tank will either be cheesecloth, or the cotton balls which I like so far (on my A7).

I'll be picking up rounds and cotton yarn soon. Maybe some cotton wicks?

I haven't even touched my silica! :p

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Took mine apart last night. Sorry I didn't take pictures.. It was late and I just wanted a new coil/wick.

There are no posts. There's a ceramic cup with a cut out for your wicks to stick out of, so your coil sits within the cup.
Wicks come out of the cup, down through 4 holes into the tank.
The cup has two TINY holes in the bottom to feed the leads of your coil down. PITA, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.
Below the cup, there is a rubber gromet and small center post that pop out. It rebuilds like a VVN atty head.
The top screws in (the center post has threads) to the air tube that runs through the center of the tank and is your 510 connection.

It's designed in such a way that I get ZERO backwash into my tank. My juice stays perfectly clear. Any gunking from the coil might affect the wick, but the wick never bleeds that crap into my juice. That alone makes it head and shoulders better than a VVN in my mind.

I rebuilt with cotton gauze last night. Not sure I'm particularly thrilled with it. My next venture with this tank will either be cheesecloth, or the cotton balls which I like so far (on my A7).

I'll be picking up rounds and cotton yarn soon. Maybe some cotton wicks?

I haven't even touched my silica! :p

Thank you for describing it for me, sounds exactly like something I want. The cup style atty in my opinion is one of the best performing designs to me. If you ever do have time to snap a couple pics I'd be interested to see whats under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread