Disassembling Joyetech eVic firmware image

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I'm pretty sure there's a power-FET in there somewhere attached to the switch/MCU (or built into another component). The switch is probably only using ..IDK...guessing maybe 10 mA with a current limiting resistor in there somewhere.

But you're correct that there's probably an amp limit or something in there overheats...like the FET...so your point is well taken. Just ignore the little wires on the button.

People keep using "the switch" in the entire module sense and it really means button. That button is only activating something else.

Last edited:

WhiteNoyze

Feb 6, 2013
Texas
Yay, I can post here now. I joined the forum so I can contribute. My eVic is trashed, but my wife's still works so i'm interested what kind of development can be done on this. I "disassembled" my evic if ya'll want some pictures or a donation control head.

The top and bottom pieces are epoxied together or something. I wasn't able to get it apart with some man strength and a couple of pairs of pliers. I ended up dremeling off the acrylic leaving the internals in place.

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Yay, I can post here now. I joined the forum so I can contribute. My eVic is trashed, but my wife's still works so i'm interested what kind of development can be done on this. I "disassembled" my evic if ya'll want some pictures or a donation control head.

The top and bottom pieces are epoxied together or something. I wasn't able to get it apart with some man strength and a couple of pairs of pliers. I ended up dremeling off the acrylic leaving the internals in place.

I would really like some pictures if possible!

WhiteNoyze

Feb 6, 2013
Texas
https://picasaweb.google.com/109360...authkey=Gv1sRgCLTyqKCc7K6M0AE&feat=directlink

I've got to find a tiny screwdriver to take out the screws so hopefully I can get the other 2 boards off. If not i'll have to whip out the soldering iron if they are soldered to the bottom board.

Good news, there is no resin on the chip.

EDIT: Added a few more pictures after I took off the control ring. The boards are soldered so i'll have to unsolder them later. I need to go shop for a replacement mod first :/

Last edited:

Janusxvii

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Those photos are much appreciated. I especially liked all the photos illustrating the control ring. So there is epoxy at the top and bottom? Also, I am noticing a disc shaped object sitting on the top of the boards (it looks like it has some sort of kapton tape on it). I can't make it out very well but it kind of looks like a battery (like you would find in a watch). Can you confirm this?

Janusxvii

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I just had a thought while I was mentally processing those photos. If the plastic tube needs to be cut in order to get to the innards I wonder if it would be possible to find an industrial supply company selling plastic tubing that could be cut to length and used as a replacement. If you didn't completely destroy it (or throw it out) could you please tell me the inside and outside diameters? Who knows, maybe we could even find colored plastic tubes. I know that's getting a little off the subject but it would be kind of cool.

bitterskittles

Jan 14, 2013
Ireland
If you didn't completely destroy it (or throw it out) could you please tell me the inside and outside diameters? Who knows, maybe we could even find colored plastic tubes. I know that's getting a little off the subject but it would be kind of cool.

Good thinking. I'd like a clear plastic tube on my eVic controller head ^^

https://picasaweb.google.com/109360...authkey=Gv1sRgCLTyqKCc7K6M0AE&feat=directlink

I've got to find a tiny screwdriver to take out the screws so hopefully I can get the other 2 boards off. If not i'll have to whip out the soldering iron if they are soldered to the bottom board.

Good news, there is no resin on the chip.

EDIT: Added a few more pictures after I took off the control ring. The boards are soldered so i'll have to unsolder them later. I need to go shop for a replacement mod first :/

Wow, awesome pics!!! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread