• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Discerning the Spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    I believe I came across a GOOD READ ( commentary from BibleGateway ) on how to discern the Sprite of the truth from the world. Its well worth the read based on 1 John » Chapter 4 » exegesis View 1 John 4:1-6

Here a little of

"Discerning the Spirits

My husband and I are birdwatchers. No serious "birder" would be without a good field guide or two. A field guide is simply a book with pictures and descriptions of birds and their chief identifying characteristics, including size, coloration, voice, range, habitat and so on. With a field guide and a little practice, one can become adept at identifying literally hundreds of birds.

What this passage gives us is in its own way a "field guide" to iden tifying or discerning "spirits." Specifically, it calls attention to two distinct "field marks" of various spirits: first, what they say or teach; second, who hears or accepts their teaching. That seems straightforward enough. With this knowledge in mind, we ought to be able to venture forth to spot and identify a variety of spirits, simply by checking each species against our guide. Why, then, does it seem that so many people cannot see the spirits for what they are and fall prey to all varieties of heresies, misin terpretations of Scripture, cults and fads? And even when we can discern truth from error and determine that a particular teaching, person or group is wrong, what are we to do? Is it enough not to follow that teaching? Are we, as individuals or as a church, to do something more than resist perversions of the truth, as important as that is? Such questions are not easily answered. After a look at the content of the passage under consideration, we will suggest some guidelines--and call attention to some of the difficulties--in this matter of discerning the spirits."

Much more can be learned by reading the full text. - 1 John 4 Commentary - Discerning the Spirits - BibleGateway.com

Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    • Deleted by r77r7r
    • Reason: Cleaning up

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Funny post, RS. Feel free to browse around our forum, pull a chair up close to the fire and relax.

If you have anything along the lines of a Christian question, please feel free to ask. Or, tell us where you're at with your thoughts about Christianity.

Please keep in mind our rules here tho, posted in the Stickies.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly. The Gospel of John 18:13-27 describes the account of the three denials as follows: Simon Peter and another disciple were following Jesus.

Bible Gateway passage: John 18 - New International Version

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2010
    Mississippi
    What's with the rooster???? Rayonati, what is the background up to posting this picture? I am in the dark. Granted, I haven't been online as I've been trying to make Christmas gifts, which takes longer for me because of fibro, and it's taken all of my strength to decorate my apartment, take care of a very ill maltese who is the reason I need to get up in the morning because she has to go out....my small attempt to humor.....but I was very close to losing her. She is the sweetest little thing, and loves everyone. She has breath that would peel wallpaper, though, and I get her teeth cleaned once a year. She has aches and pains, just like me and we love and understand each other.

I apologize to all that I haven't been on......life has been, uh, quite difficult. When hasn't it been!!!!!! I won't bore you with details.....UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW!:laugh:

As I do with most everyone, Rayonati, (I like that name!) please read sticky #5, comply, and jump in. We will laugh with you, cry with you, celebrate Jesus with you, and love you through the love of Jesus.:wub:

WHERE ARE MY BANANAS!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Reactions: r77r7r

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2010
    Mississippi
    Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly. The Gospel of John 18:13-27 describes the account of the three denials as follows: Simon Peter and another disciple were following Jesus.

Bible Gateway passage: John 18 - New International Version

Can you imagine how Peter beat himself up over this? It was fight or flight, but if it had been me, I wouldn't have been able to look at myself. It would have been too painful.:cry:

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2010
    Mississippi
    Let it all out

You asked for it, 777. I do love you, through the love of Jesus, of course. After we reach Glory, I want to personally meet everyone of you! Party at my cabin!!!!! You won't have to BYOLW. (Bring your own living water.) I have asked Jesus for a babbling brook running living water in front of my cabin! And of course, the main attraction will be there....JESUS! We'll be sitting on the front lawn on blankets, looking up at the Man who saved us from our sins.......JESUS! Did you imagine that in your head? Read it again! I'm pumped!!!!!

MM and I have talked.............ALOT! He keeps me rooted in the Word. I've been and continue to be under attack from the prince of poo....ol' beelzabub. If you look up the meaning of that name, it means dung. The prince of poo is the cleanest of all I came up with, as far as nicknames. Since I moved here, I have had one bad sinus infection....I was running a couple of degrees of fever and was on antibiotics; then, a BAD bladder infection and the antibiotics that would have battled the infection the best, I'm allergic to, so I was put on one not as potent as the others; my 4-legged little girl almost died from pancreatitis.....I almost came unglued, but my wonderful vet told me not to worry about the money. She was on continuous I.V.'s of lactated ringers and antibiotics. He accepted what I could pay. That was a miracle!; then another bladder infection.....a different kind, and I am on yet ANOTHER antibiotic; then my 4-legged little girl started up with symptoms again. Oh yeah, I had a very hard fall on concrete. Boy that was fun! Don't forget these stupid ailments on top of everything else! I wanted to jump in the toilet and pull the chain! My mom used to say that. I've only been here 4 months. There are other things that have happened in-between, like this is the first Christmas that I am alone in a resident in my entire life. Thanksgiving was great, but Christmas is a bit tough. I miss my parents greatly. I have done more spiritual house cleaning since I've been here than I have in years. I don't understand why the prince of poo thinks I'm a threat, but apparently he does. That's a good thing, I suppose.

Now, on the opposite side of the spectrum, I have been painting again! I haven't painted in a few years. I have enjoyed that very much! Ex and I have been getting along better and he's helped me out when I needed it. My sister fusses about that, but she won't drop everything and come to help, but he does. I still am crazy about my apartment! I walk in and I'm in my own world. It's my sanctuary. I have decorated for Christmas like I like it! I don't have to please anyone else but myself. Now how COOL :2cool: is that! PLUS, when you live in retirement apartments, people come out and sing Christmas carols, hand out candy and fruit, and others just uplift you! Now that's been COOL as well!:thumb: Sooooooo, it's been good and bad. Regardless, I love my Jesus! His Name is Wonderful, His Name is Wonderful, His Name is Wonderful, Jesus my Lord...........................

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I couldn't find that song ^^^ on utube of my artists, until I realized my favorite rendition was the entire small church I used to attend singing it together.

If I had recordings of all the music we sang @ our old Baptist church, together as a congegation, solos, children's choir - I'd not have to listen to anything else ever.

Reactions: Saintscruiser

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2010
    Mississippi
    I've had more physical difficulties, but I am still standing. Throughout all of these trials and tribulations, I have grown closer to Jesus! I talk to Him all the time! I have learned many things......yet again. I don't think we can ever learn too much....it's impossible! There are just too many facets of Him. Blows my mind in a good way!:ohmy:

Reactions: mightymen

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I've had more physical difficulties, but I am still standing. Throughout all of these trials and tribulations, I have grown closer to Jesus! I talk to Him all the time! I have learned many things......yet again. I don't think we can ever learn too much....it's impossible! There are just too many facets of Him. Blows my mind in a good way!:ohmy:
    SC, you don't have any nice churches to sing Christmas songs at this evening?

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2010
    Mississippi
    I don't go to church anymore. I am unable. I usually have to take meds when I get up and I don't get out on the roads when I am on my normal amount of medication. Singing............I wish I could. That deep breathing wrecks fibro and I wind up suffering with difficulty breathing. My O2 is normal, but the nerves and fibers in my chest hurt after I sing. So, I do it under my breath. My sister is the singer, and I am not. I watch Dr. Adrian Rogers on Sunday first, then I switch over to Hal Lindsey. I live in a Christian Apartment Community and that's why I waited on this apartment so long.:shock: We have a Chaplain and he is a sweetheart!:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread