Status
Not open for further replies.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
WillyB, how do I start a thread?
I looked around the site but only saw a blog where to start but not a thread, please help.

Go up to the top of this page, on the left. There should be a directory tree showing where you are in the forum, like this:

E-Cigarette Forum > Modding > Modders Forum > Battery Mods

Click on "Battery Mods," then look for the big "New Thread" button in the top left of the new page. You can even click the link in my post, but I figured I'd explain the method in general, so you can use it anywhere. Basically, you need to be viewing the forum (not an individual thread) in order to start a new thread.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
question on the nicostick. does it get better voltage than the standard 510 battery or is it just longer runtime? and what happened to the new improved directions, the thread just ended

That depends. Are you asking about unloaded or loaded voltage? Unloaded...yeah, pretty much the same, just better life. Loaded...I don't know, haven't seen anyone test that. Probably better if you're comparing to a 510's loaded voltages. Just a guess, though.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
question on the nicostick. does it get better voltage than the standard 510 battery or is it just longer runtime? and what happened to the new improved directions, the thread just ended
Yes, a Joye e-cig batt is about 3.1V loaded (while vaping), an unfettered 14500 is at least 3.7V (per Scottbee's tests). That's enough of a difference in watts that you will notice it when you vape.

ricky59

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
North Carolina
I searched but didn't find the answer to this. Are you guys using any kind of voltage cutoff? Something to keep from over discharging? or does the protection in the protected battery prevent over discharge? How do you know when to charge these things? I assume you don't have circuitry to make the LED blink when the voltage starts getting around 3V do you?

I'm thinking of making one. I've raced R/C cars for decades and am pretty handy with a soldering iron.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
A protected battery has many advantages and one is that it will prevent itself from being overcharged automatically. My 14500's (for example) charge to no more than 4.22 volts. Then they do the same with discharging and will shut themselves off if the voltage drops below approximately 2.7 volts. If the battery gets too hot it will shut itself off. If you accidentally put it into your charger backwards, it shuts itself off preventing reverse charging.

As far as knowing when to charge a protected battery is simple, when it stops working. No more heat, no more vapor and it's time to recharge. All my NicoSticks I built have a simple LED that lights whenever I push the button to vape. When I push the button and the LED only stays lit for 1 second then goes out, it's done, so I put in a fresh battery.

There's some really good information here.

:thumb:

Necromancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Vapers Haven
I had encountered some problems in building the nicostick.. My Nicostick turns on when the button is not depressed and off when its depressed... likewise for the led light.. is it due to the switch problem? It looks identical to this Push Button Switch -- Black .. please advice..

I am using the on/off switch from the battery holder to vape for now..lol

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
I had encountered some problems in building the nicostick.. My Nicostick turns on when the button is not depressed and off when its depressed... likewise for the led light.. is it due to the switch problem? It looks identical to this Push Button Switch -- Black .. please advice..

I know you said it looks like the switch you linked to but is it the switch you linked to? Sounds like you are using a Normally Closed switch when you should be using a Normally Open switch. You can pick up the correct type switch at Radio Shack to hold you over. Here are a few to choose from...

Mini SPST 0.5-Amp Momentary Switch (4-Pack) - RadioShack.com

Momentary Switch - RadioShack.com

Red Button SPST Pushbutton Switch - RadioShack.com

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA

As was mentioned their are 2 types. You may be using this one.

Push Button Switch -- Black

nalo_b

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2010
oahu
Hi wanted to know how everybody is modifying their box to fit the 14500 in there? Seems like the batt always hit the plastic that holds the negative contact. Some that I've built I took off the spring and put a dab of solder on the contact but dosent always solve the problem some batts still have a really tight fit.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Hi wanted to know how everybody is modifying their box to fit the 14500 in there? Seems like the batt always hit the plastic that holds the negative contact. Some that I've built I took off the spring and put a dab of solder on the contact but dosent always solve the problem some batts still have a really tight fit.

I don't think I've had any problems fitting the battery in a basic NicoStick, but I've run into that with some other box mods. I usually just break off the plastic tabs that hold the battery contact plate in place, then super glue it in position, then fill in the space behind it with hot glue. Not pretty, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread