Discussing the NicoStick

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcase

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
TN
Yes, it did go off when I pressed the button. The problem was that I was looking at the pics as if Nico had used a red wire for the pos and neg and totally missed the black negative wire going from the negative side of the battery to the side of the atomizer connector. I was wiring it with pos and neg going to the button.

I was very disheartened and almost gave up. Glad I didn't as I had just spent some money at madvapes ordering batteries, a charger, and another button. I have two extra buttons now. Time for another mod.

I felt like a big dummy.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
I just built one of these and let me just say...absolutely awesome design!

I did have one problem, but Im dealing with it for now. I got the parts from Radio Shack(Is it still called that? I thought it was changed). The only 2xAA battery box they had, had the lid separate about halfway in the middle of the box, so the lid was about the same dimensions as the other half of the box, instead of being basically flat. For the most part this did not present a problem, except when drilling the hole for the atty connector. The hole basically went edge to edge on the box, and after pressing in the connector, it kindof warped the box, so that when you put the lid on, it doesn't sit perfectly flush.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
I just built one of these and let me just say...absolutely awesome design!

I did have one problem, but Im dealing with it for now. I got the parts from Radio Shack(Is it still called that? I thought it was changed). The only 2xAA battery box they had, had the lid separate about halfway in the middle of the box, so the lid was about the same dimensions as the other half of the box, instead of being basically flat. For the most part this did not present a problem, except when drilling the hole for the atty connector. The hole basically went edge to edge on the box, and after pressing in the connector, it kindof warped the box, so that when you put the lid on, it doesn't sit perfectly flush.

on your battery box, would drilling the atty hole work better on the other end of the box.....

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
on your battery box, would drilling the atty hole work better on the other end of the box.....

When I first read this post, I thought to myself that there was some reason I couldn't do that... Upon inspecting the box, I suddenly feel like a dumb***...

Enclosed 2 AA Battery Holder : Battery Holders | RadioShack.com

On the bright side, after performing a dry burn, it seems to have heated the box enough that it straightened it out and the lid fits perfectly now.

jcase

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
TN
Thought I'd share my revamp of the nicostick. Couldn't find a smaller momentary on/off button, so I had to mount it on the opposite side. Sucks, but I'm happy with it. Won't be putting it in my pocket.

uBH9i.jpg

ewThf.jpg

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Well that box you chose, the no-switch type is a pain as you have to use the screw to hold on the back. That's all RS has though in 2AA. The ones with the switch just slide/snap on, the screw is not needed.

Your box and switch look like you got them at RS. Didn't they have the 'official' NicoStick switch?

3A 125V SPST Normally Open Pushbutton Momentary Switch - RadioShack.com

As far as the switch you have, if you carefully bend the solder tabs out/flat it could have been installed in the normal position or in the side instead of the bottom.

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hey WillyB,

Because at 3.7v you don't need a platinum\aerospace made switch, and mostly because it fits just right and lasts\works almost forever.
I tried some of those so called better made switches for $6.50 on my 5v box and they stop working after a few months, oddly enough when I installed a $2 switch it out performed. If need be I can install 2 more and still be under $6.50.

Quality is good, but it must fit the project plans & budget.

(just from my expirience)

Thank you,

outofjuice

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2011
USA, MI
Because at 3.7v you don't need a platinum\aerospace made switch, and mostly because it fits just right and lasts\works almost forever.
I tried some of those so called better made switches for $6.50 on my 5v box and they stop working after a few months, oddly enough when I installed a $2 switch it out performed. If need be I can install 2 more and still be under $6.50.

Quality is good, but it must fit the project plans & budget.

(just from my expirience)

Thank you,

why would you even want to change out a switch, when you can buy one for years of enjoyment (and not very costly at all in the long run)? the link willyb posted is for rated for 3A witch is perfect for pv application since we use +1A of current....
5v or 3.7v dosent really matter, you still need +1A to fire an atty...
just giving my 2cents here not trying to step on toes but willyb made a good point good sir... but now im wondering what this $6.50 dollar switch was... was it under rated? how was it soldered, and how long was it under heat?

edit- oh... its about the size form factor huh, well in a 2xaa mod box... there's plenty of room for a mosfet, well then you would need a master swicth but all in all i think it would be perfect for you if you really want to use those switches... but imho... i dont think it can still be called a nicostick at that point:blush:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread