Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
Hi, Newbie to the forum here.

Outstanding thread!

I've been working on this all by myself and someone suggested I check this forum out, remind me to thank him profusely :).

An acquaintance showed me one of these thingies :) and it seemed like a good idea so I looked around and ended up with an e-pen / classic / 801 / RN{something} and fell in love with it.

BIG problem with it seems to be that the atomizers die with startling regularity. I really do NOT want to go back to analogs, so I ordered a second one for a spare and the vendor did send me a new atomizer and battery for the trouble.

I stagger usage of the two so they last longer and a couple days ago the second one dies. Getting these things apart is something I have not perfected yet. I suspect I will need to heat it up as I suspect it is glued together somehow. Tried using a battery to remove the atomizer and ended up with the battery coming apart and breaking the wires. Small task to resolder but it didn't get the atomizer apart.

I metered out the resistance on the good atomizer (~3.3 ohm) and the two bad ones. One had what looked like a piece of ?screen? fall out of it and does measure ~3.3 ohm but does nothing. The other shows about 25 ohms.

If I can get them apart, I was thinking of a 1/16 or 1/8W wirewound resistor cleaned up but not sure that is a good idea depending on what it is made of, it would be abuse of the device so I let that go by. Not at all sure they make wirewound that small either. An inductor was another thought...

Considered winding something to get ~3.3 ohms but until I can get the atomizer apart we are kind of dead in the water :-/.

Got some really great ideas out of this thread, thanks to all!

Take care, Fox3

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
Fox3 - read this thread, it's all you need to know to get started with atomiser coils:
And converse with me on this topic too as I'm really keen to advance this technology ...

Link deleted for newbie penalty...

Thanks for the pointer, will check it out!

Me too, best quality over cheapest to manufacture would be nice! Love the pen, but the atomizer failure rate and general unavailability of replacements just reeks :-(. Hope the 901 will be better but at least I can easily get parts for it until I come up with something better :).

wop1969

Jul 24, 2009
NC
www.wopworks.com
Newbie here,

I am still on analogs but I am waiting for my order to show up in the next few days. While waiting I have spent countless hours on this forum and e-cig websites. I am a self made engineer and I will be contributing to this post soon :) I hope I can provide the solution so keep hanging in dhartin.

I would post a link to my website so anyone could see some of the inventions I have made but I know it would get nixed cause I’m a Newb, If anyone wants to see send me a PM for the link.

I am saying all of this cause I am dyeing (still smoking cigs) to contribute to this project and keep the hope going as we all know the FDA will most likely ruin this for all of us in the US.

I have already began to pour threw my mind about what materials to use and it seems some testing is in order.

One conclusion I come to is that the whole thing needs to be re-thunk as in a whole new e-cig, one that is bigger to support the needs at hand and not be so portable until the right combination is achieved for a small scale device, anyone ever thought of an E-hookah? I have
I would work great for home use ; )

Anyway I want to thank everyone in here for their time and effort it is and will be well appreciated when a solution is found.

Stranger

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2009
Has anyone tried using ultrasonic transducers that water mist humidifiers use?
I can't post links yet because I am a noob, but if you google:
Wholesale ultrasonic transducer, high output ultrasonic humidifier
You can see hwt I am talking about.

I don't think you could draw though one of these but make something more like a hookah.

Has anyone already tried this?

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA
Has anyone tried using ultrasonic transducers that water mist humidifiers use?
I can't post links yet because I am a noob, but if you google:
Wholesale ultrasonic transducer, high output ultrasonic humidifier
You can see hwt I am talking about.

I don't think you could draw though one of these but make something more like a hookah.

Has anyone already tried this?
I have a transducer right here, but can't find the 24v power supply to test it:(
It's from a Halloween cauldron and puts out a ton of vapor just from using water alone.

I have a transducer right here, but can't find the 24v power supply to test it:(
It's from a Halloween cauldron and puts out a ton of vapor just from using water alone.

Nice ;)

I think there are basically two categories of ultrasonic device, a larger type (still pretty small) that is unenclosed; and a smaller (almost minute)type where the juice is enclosed and cannot escape until turned to vapor - these are much as the technology used in inkjet printer heads; and would be suitable as a feed of juice to a heated coil (consistent juice flow, sealed juice (no leaking) that could last longer without drying up) - best of both worlds.

However, bth types are worth exploring. So little has been done so far. Almost nothing actually ;)

(The other technology that is interesting but hardly ever heard about is using a minitiature halogen in place of heater coil - longer lasting as more robust, being encased in glass).

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA
The one I have here says 24V 1AMP on the bottom, it's about2 inches diameter and 1 inch tall. It's shiny and looks cool with 12 colored LEDs around the circumference. At the center is a what I think is the transducer, it's recessed and about 1/2 inch diameter. The DC power cord is attached and sealed. We used it a few times and it is cool. If only I could locate the darned power adapter.

I do want to test it to see how it works with some VG on the transducer. It could possibly be good as the base for a hookah type device.

I saw some things that looked like they use the same unit at the local dollar store, but I can't afford to spend $50 for one. I did see one or two of the 24V power supplies on the shelf not connected to anything so I might go back and see if they'll sell one of those power supplies alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread