Status
Not open for further replies.

kwcharlie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Houston
acrigs.com
i've been using THIS Robinair 40288 Line Piercing Valve for 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" OD Tubing for a few weeks, works great, needle doesn't bend like the water-maker saddle valves.
don't mean to hijack this thread, the DYI discussed here is so KISS and a lot cheaper than this $16+ [=$20] AC valve, thanks to everyone posting here

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Your posts are always good :) There's more than one way to DIY, I just wanted something alternate to the dremel and had come to dislike saddle valves after trying several. (my tries were short-lived with SV -- I quickly found both of the ones I ordered to be a PITA, immediately went back to the dremel until I came up with the hub)

Last edited:

kwcharlie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Houston
acrigs.com
ya, me too and the LAST thing i wanted to admit was i couldn't follow Bovinia's instructions for using the hardware store saddle valve for ice makers, bent that sucker on the 2'ent hole i tried to punch, went back to the dremel tool myself till i remembered these from my former life as an AC repairman, it's actually used to access refrigerator lines that don't have service valves. they alwase leaked out for me if used on the high side

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Youre looking for a 1/4 20 hanger bolt.Do a web search and you should be able to find them for fairly cheap.One side has a hardened machine screw and the other has a plain threaded end that you can attach a washer and a wing nut too.Fastenal carries part number 32709 and should be available locally.

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
We need the 1/4-20 on the pointed end, since the set screw hole is tapped 1/4-20. A classic 1/4-20 hanger bolt is 1/4-20 on the part that is flat face, but the screw portion is a different size.

(I poked around a lot before finding those auto mirror mounting screws :) My goal was to find a "buy" item, ready to use as-is.)

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
I just have to say this DIY punch is great!! I have never bought a $30 cato punch from an ecig vendor to compare it to but after using this I don't plan to. I love this thing and for $5. :ohmy: I really like how you can make the holes whatever size you need them too depending how far you screw it in. EXCELLENT idea mark!! :thumbs: Thanks so much. LOVE IT!

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Yes, the Deezdrama writeup, simple drilled block of wood and deck screw, sounds good, too :) Probably a 5/16" for the carto hole.

(I'll stick with mine, since I have it and I'm really spoiled by the two turns of the wrench, but DD's also looks nice, simple, cheap -- good DIY.)

arkador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
Texas
Still using my first screw, it is still quite sharp, and no where near needing to be replaced (about 60 cartos have been punched)

the guys at work use my punch rather than their saddle valves. Friday at lunch is carto Punch day. the tank ecig guys meet in the lunch room and pass my carto punch around.

Not sure if i posted this, but no tool is needed, fingers can easily turn the screw to complete the punch.

zerominusone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2011
in your house
Here's one I made a few weeks ago. Cost = free 'cuz I already had all the stuff. Works better/easier than the one I bought for $6 :
2lmbhqb.jpg

EDIT: I made the carto punch, not the Provari (hehehe)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread