Diy e juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shone

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Hello. :)
I started mixing long time ago, but this never happened before, and i couldnt find anything on the internet.
1 month ago, i mixed juice 8mg nic, 50/50.
3 different flavors in mixes, only one flavor per mix. All that flavors i mixed before as well. now what happens is that all of that mixes got way to redish, what should be yellow its red for example. One more thing, in all bottles pressure was really high, cap on one bottle cracked as well.
one more thing is confusing to me, taste of e liquids is same as before.
Nicotine that i used is same as before, pg and vg same as before.
40 days ago, i made same juice with same flavors, and all was fine.
Any experiance with that someone?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
absolutely everything was the same, exept first mix was 10mg nic, second 8mg, i bought 10 bottles, 5 of them used 40 days ago, 5 of them 30 days ago, all of them i washed together when i bought them.
all of e liquids steeping in the same box.
Can’t be. That’s not how chemistry works. Something was different.

You didn’t maybe set the box next to a heat register or something? Maybe the heat was supposed to be off but you had a cold snap and it actually wasn’t? Just spitballing.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah, i understand that, i am confused too. now i found smth about nicotine breaking down into nornicotine? familiar with that maybe?
in that box i store all my liquids, no any heat near, always cold on that spot.
and cracked cap? :)
I dunno man. Transient radiation to include heat or chemical presence. Gotta be something. Cold maybe? They froze then thawed? Early in the year for that. If the cap was cracked you got gas leakage which could be something.

Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Call out to @Kurt our resident vaping chemist!
Kurt, have you ever heard of/are aware of anything (chemical action/reaction) that would create a positive (or negative; for that matter) pressure, within a DIY e-liquid, that might be significant enough to break/crack a cap? (sorry Kurt; you'll need to read posts #1-#6 for context:blush:).

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Bacteria possibly, a growth would cause the bottles to expand.
In a 50% PG liquid? I thought PG was naturally antibacterial; let alone the toxic nature of nicotine. Maybe if the concentrates contained enough contaminants and/or food source(s)? If that is the case; I don't think I would be choosing to vape that.
5138.gif

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have absolutely no idea. I can't imagine a lot of bacteria OR mold flourishing in PG and nicotine, I really can't.

You store all your liquids there? Is that including your bases and flavors? Are they okay, if so, I'd have to suspect some sort of pretty heavy duty contaminant in some of the bottles, either that or something happened in the 10 days between vaping one batch, and taking the second batch out?

This is really weird. I'm clueless as to what may have happened, but what is your steeping process? Do you steep lids on and off? Perhaps a contaminant in the air got into those bottles when you had the caps off? Perhaps it only happened on one side of the box? This is really a mystery, though, I do have to say the high pressure does lead me to wonder about contaminants and bacterial overgrowth, though I have no clue how it happened, as that type of pressure (not to mention the color, ick) really sounds like something growing inside your bottles.

I suppose in support of this theory, it would be possible for certain hardy organisms to grow in a 50-50 PG/VG mix, and 0.8% nic is NOT that high.

I'd almost be tempted to take them somewhere for analysis to see if something dreadful were going on inside my house, especially if you DO steep with the lids off.... Might be worth a total decontamination of that area, too.

Best of luck in figuring it out, I am totally totally stumped.

Anna

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
In a 50% PG liquid? I thought PG was naturally antibacterial; let alone the toxic nature of nicotine. Maybe if the concentrates contained enough contaminants and/or food source(s)? If that is the case; I don't think I would be choosing to vape that.
5138.gif

Agreed, on both accounts, I wouldn't vape it and PG is a antibacterial. I threw it out there because heat and other suggestions were eliminated. There was a recent study on the use of plastic water bottles that I read (yes I have to much time on my hands) and bottle expansion was one of the results noted due to bacterial growth.

How the liquid may have been contaminated or if the PG would offset the contamination I really over my head as the science goes but the color change and the bloating sound like contamination is a possibility. Personally that liquid would be hitting the drain and the bottles hitting the trash.

Complete speculation on my part but very similar to the information I read regarding bacterial growth in a plastic bottle.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
8% nic is NOT that high
8% IS that high; being equal to 80mg/mL (based on 1,000mg/mL being pure nic). The OP stated that they were mixing at 8mg(/mL I presume) which would only be 0.8% (8mg per total volume would be even less; unless the total volume mixed was less than 1 milliliter). I apologize for the public correction Anna, but this is a mistake that is all too common when discussing nicotine concentrations, and I do my best to encourage discussing it in terms of milligrams/milliliter to avoid this exact confusion. If someone were to unknowingly plug in "8% nic" into their DIY calculator, they could become nic sick very quickly depending on their vaping habits and sensitivity.:blush:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I threw it out there because heat and other suggestions were eliminated.
Understood; and I have nothing better than hearsay to try and refute it. It is better than anything I can come up with.:D
There was a recent study on the use of plastic water bottles that I read (yes I have to much time on my hands) and bottle expansion was one of the results noted due to bacterial growth.
Interesting; I always felt a little squemish reaching for the hot flat of bottled water that had been sitting in my trunk for a week, while camping. Now I feel justified!:laugh:

But, I do feel the comparison is a little weak, trying to equate/find similarities between, water and a PG/VG/nic carrier base. Again, not finding fault with your hypothesis, AND I have nothing as good/better to offer... just expressing my own ignorant misgivings.
How the liquid may have been contaminated or if the PG would offset the contamination I really over my head as the science goes
It is ALL over my head scientifically; that is why I put a shout-out to @Kurt. Hopefully, he will have time to read and reply, and MAYBE offer something other than my W.A.G.ing.:laugh::lol::lol::lol::laugh:
Personally that liquid would be hitting the drain and the bottles hitting the trash.
You and me both!:toast:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
No worries, I did mean to type 0.8 and didn't. Absolutely, thank you for the correction, and I totally agree with you. I am going to go back and change it, though, in case someone reads my first post, but not your correction. It's a huge difference. :)

Anna
Thank you Anna for understanding; and for taking my criticism in the spirit with which I intended.:thumbs: I trust your own DIY understanding not to mix as posted; but I always fear for other readers, who may not have experience with DIY, and read such a typo as "correct." Almost everything in DIY comes down to personal preference, and won't cause personal injury (maybe some lousy juice; but it won't kill ya;)); but nicotine safety is one area I still get fussy about.:blush:

Thanks again (and thanks for going the extra mile; and correcting your previous post)!:D

Shone

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Thank you for so many answers.
I just left my bottles in box for 1 month, never open them till 2 days ago.
I talked with so many people and never happend to anyone, exept that i found smth about nornicotine, but i dont know much bout that.
On first picture, same flavor, but different color, redish one is problematic.
0ATsS5G.jpg

J3W5Mhz.jpg

Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread