Status
Not open for further replies.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
I never bought a starter kit..I never wanted to pay for things I wasn't going to use, that negates the quote unquote deal. Here are a few of the things I have learned over the course of a year DIYing.

1. Save & clean out all the bottles you get your (vendor)juice in so you don't have to buy them.
2. buy 14 guage luer-lok needles in different lengths(you will be drawing liquid out of different sized bottles)
3. State permitting it, go to your local pharmacy and buy Luer-Lok syringes without the needles, I pay $.25-$.35@
4. VG and PG can be purchased from your local wal-mart...may have to special order the PG but VG is readily available
5. Mix your juice right in the bottle saves having to buy funnels or graduated cylinders
6. Most experienced DIY'ers have a combination of flavor manufacturers. The most common being TFA, Lorann, FA and Capella.
7. Buy flavors in the smallest quantity you can to start with until you figure out what and who(manufacturer)you like. A bit more expensive per ml but it keeps you from having large amounts of flavor you don't like. To begin with you want variety more than you want quantity. 6ml of 1 flavor will go along way and very few recipes use just one flavor in a mix. Example..@ 20% flavor in a 30ml bottle mix, you would use 6ml of combined flavors. I don't use any recipe that uses only one flavor in it, most of mine are 3-4 different flavors per mix.
8. DIY IS NOT CHEAP TO BEGIN WITH......Think of it like cooking in your kitchen, once stocked it's reasonably cheap to prepare a meal but that very first meal cost a fortune when you factor in everything it cost you to make it, i.e. stove/oven, pots and pans, dishes/silverware, condiments/spices and so on........

That being said if I had it to do all over again I would!! In the first year of vapeing I spent a fortune on "stocking my kitchen" for DIY and I still managed to save about $800.00 over smoking cigarettes........

Good luck!

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
As to flavor shopping... a really good flavor is priceless! So don't be overly concerned with flavor cost per ml as you start DIY. As mentioned earlier, just buy small until you find the good 'uns. Then keep your eyes peeled for the occasional $ales (Deals & Steals) and then poun¢e.

When we make that leap from premade to DIY, we shouldn't change our cost perspective. Even if we count our recipe disasters, DIY still a lot more economical than buying premade jooses.
thumbsup.gif

SuperLuckyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Austin, TX
As to flavor shopping... a really good flavor is priceless! So don't be overly concerned with flavor cost per ml as you start DIY. As mentioned earlier, just buy small until you find the good 'uns. Then keep your eyes peeled for the occasional $ales (Deals & Steals) and then poun¢e.

When we make that leap from premade to DIY, we shouldn't change our cost perspective. Even if we count our recipe disasters, DIY still a lot more economical than buying premade jooses.
thumbsup.gif

Right. I mentioned capellas - and I stress it's the only one I've tried - because I know you can mix up the strawberry raspberry, apricot and french vanilla as stand-alones at 10-15% (I use 15%) and have something really good to vape. It's a no-brainer. I even like it right after mixing, although the flavor gets richer with steeping. Instant gratification!

If you like fruity and vanilla flavors, that is. Otherwise, can't help you yet - my other flavors are in the mail.

izdalion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2011
Rhode Island
I really am into smooth creme-e flavors that are not to overpowering. Hence the banana Foster yummyness :) Oh yea before I get slapped upside the head my wife likes menthol flavors her fav is minty menthol LOL Slap diverted hahahaha I would guess a good menthol flavor is hard to make though.
I think flavor wise I'm going to try Capella's first and go from there lil' by lil'. Money is super tight so it will be a snails pace until I find the perfect combo flavor concoction :D Then it's on like donkey Kong!

izdalion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2011
Rhode Island
Ok everyone so I think I've decided on Capella's flavoring. Even though it's more money I am told it's totally worth it ;) So my new questions are:
Are there any Capella's discount codes?
Can I only get 13ml bottles or is there a vendor that sells smaller quantities?

FYI there is a multi 5 pack for 19.95 on there sight if anyone hasn't seen it :D

Here are the flavors that I "might" or "plan on at some point" get :
Flavor 1: Cappuccino
Flavor 2: Gingerbread
Flavor 3: Vanilla Custard
Flavor 4: Banana Split
Flavor 5: Caramel
Flavor 6: Marshmallow
Flavor 7: Sweet Strawberry
Flavor 8: Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Flavor 9: Blueberry
Flavor10: Vanilla Cupcake

If there are "not good" or "this is better" ones in there please let me know.
You guys and gals are the best
Thanks
Izzy :D

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Ok everyone so I think I've decided on Capella's flavoring. Even though it's more money I am told it's totally worth it ;) So my new questions are:
Are there any Capella's discount codes?
Can I only get 13ml bottles or is there a vendor that sells smaller quantities?

FYI there is a multi 5 pack for 19.95 on there sight if anyone hasn't seen it :D

Here are the flavors that I "might" or "plan on at some point" get :
Flavor 1: Cappuccino
Flavor 2: Gingerbread
Flavor 3: Vanilla Custard
Flavor 4: Banana Split
Flavor 5: Caramel
Flavor 6: Marshmallow
Flavor 7: Sweet Strawberry
Flavor 8: Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Flavor 9: Blueberry
Flavor10: Vanilla Cupcake

If there are "not good" or "this is better" ones in there please let me know.
You guys and gals are the best
Thanks
Izzy :D

Maybe swap CCC with cinnamon danish swirl. More versatile. vanilla cupcake and vanilla custard are very similar so if getting a small amount of flavorings you may be better of with cupcake and leave the other for later down the road. Both could work the same in any recipe. Other then that great choices . The only one i havent tried is blueberry. You may like expresso a little more then cappachino . Both are great . Expresso is a bit more rich in flavor and thicker tasting. Gingerbread is the holy grail of flavorings imo.

izdalion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2011
Rhode Island
Maybe swap CCC with cinnamon danish swirl. More versatile. vanilla cupcake and vanilla custard are very similar so if getting a small amount of flavorings you may be better of with cupcake and leave the other for later down the road. Both could work the same in any recipe. Other then that great choices . The only one i havent tried is blueberry. You may like expresso a little more then cappachino . Both are great . Expresso is a bit more rich in flavor and thicker tasting. Gingerbread is the holy grail of flavorings imo.

Str8 you know your awesome right LOL Well Just in case you don't know "your awesome" :)

kfig

Verified Member
Feb 13, 2012
Myrtle Beach, SC
Im new to vaping and to DIY. I bought all the above mentioned things like pipettes, measuring devices, blah blah. I got 36 mg 100% pg nic, a bottle of vg, a bunch of flavors and some empty bottles also. Thats really all i needed. Since my nic is so low in MG i dont mind If my measurements aren't exact. I use a diy calculator, plug all my info in and use only a pipette one large one small. Thats it. PG, VG, NIC a pipette and a bottle. Now, if you get Nic with higher MG you need to measure it accurately. Thats just me, but Its been working out just fine. I make a mean cherry tobacco. :)

I also just do the math and split the ingredients evenly depending on the nic level I want. If I want 18 mg I fill the bottle half way with the nic, add some flavor, and fill the rest with vg/pg. Thats not for everyone, but it works for me

Last edited:

izdalion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2011
Rhode Island
As you guys can tell I am really ramped up for this DIY adventure LOL
I got a few more questions and there kinda important.......
As you might know my plan is to DIY with 100mg PG nic base and dilute to 18mg NOW I have 2 kids and really do not want 100mg nic in a 10 mile radius of them OF COURSE SAFETY! But I know I will be as safe as possible and have and do DIY no where near them.
What I would like to do is dilute the nic base asap so it will be ready to be used and not 100mg of death in a bottle.
Can I use the specified calculation via ejuice cal minus flavoring or is there a better solution?

Also I want to be 100% sure and I think I am at this point with all the research I have done.
When diluting to preferred nic (18mg) for example at a PG nic base it would be as followed:
70PG/30VG ratio 100mg to 18 mg nic base (no flavoring included in example)
PG70% - Nic% = PG% needed to be added to dilution
VG30% = VG% needed for dilution

Thanks again :)

Fringeoflunacy

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Iowa
No offense, but I would be very uncomfortable with anyone using 100mg nic for their first DIY attempts, especially if you have children in the house.

I'd recommend 36mg to start. You can get 120ml of 36mg nic base from Wizard Labs for $8.79, dilute that with 120mg of PG or VG for $3.19, to give you 240ml of 18mg nic for $11.98, or just under 5 cents per ml.

You still have to consider the cost of flavoring in your mix, but that'll be the same regardless of the nic base strength you start with. Buying the 100mg nic might save you a couple bucks, but is highly dangerous and even a very small amount is enough to make an adult sick or kill a child.

I'm not trying to scare you, and I'm not implying you'd be careless with it, but the cost savings are actually pretty minimal for such an increased risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread