1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

DIY liquid getting darker...

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by justsomeguy, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. justsomeguy

justsomeguy Senior Member ECF Veteran

So I've been mixing my own liquid, and been really happy with the results overall, but I started noticing that my liquids are getting darker after a few days.

My supplies are all in amber bottles, and they seem fine.
    But when I mix up a small batch of flavored liquid (usually about 10 or 15ml) I put it into a small clear plastic dropper bottle.

The liquid looks clear on the first day - and after a few days it gets an orange like tint to it. Since I noticed I've been keeping an eye on it, and have noticed that it's getting darker still.

I'm guessing it has something to do with exposure to sunlight.
    But mainly I'm wondering is this something I should be concerned with at all? Is this just an effect of the flavoring, or is it an indicator of impurities in the liquid?

Any thoughts?

2. Rocketman

Rocketman Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Do the Wiki on Nicotine, happens, photosensitive.
    Doesn't seem to bother the NIC,

(secret way of telling if your supplier kept your NIC in the dark before he sold it to you)

3. justsomeguy

justsomeguy Senior Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for the info.
    I had read something about that - but for some reason thought it had something to do with impurities in the liquid, didn't realize it was just he nature of nicotine.

Just did some searching on 'nictotine' and 'photosensitive' and sure enough you're right.
    That would help explain why my liquid has turns darker much faster than the lower nic liquid my wife has been vaping.

4. 7thCabal

7thCabal Super Member ECF Veteran

I've noticed this with Capellas van. custard, french van., orange cream... some lorran stuff too, I forget which tho. Haven't notice any from the Flavourart stuff yet.

I believe its a reaction of all things in the bottle-- doesn't seem to effect taste just psyche, IMHO.

Personally I like liquids that aren't too heavy on unintended coloring-- slight tint=yes, day-glo/red-orange=it have to be pretty damn tastey

5. curiousJan

curiousJan Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I've noticed this ... and I keep my niquids in a black lock-box. Iirc, the small (or not so small, depending on the size and fill-level of your bottle) amount of air in the bottle is a culprit in this darkening, as well.

Jan

6. AlexTM

AlexTM Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I don't think it's the nic - I have a few crystal clear liquids, made with FA liquid and flavours, and they are in clear bottles, and not a hint of getting any colour to be seen.

7. sjohnson

sjohnson Super Member ECF Veteran

At two extremes, my DIY FA perique black stays clear over a period of weeks. Capellas vanilla custard DIY turns pink overnight. Both are stored in clear bottles and sitting on a counter.

Organic chemical reactions with the ingredients is my guess. But light doesn't seem to play much of a role in my case.

8. Skwerl

Skwerl Senior Member ECF Veteran

Anything with vanilla or vanillin will discolor in niquid, soaps, and candles. Its perfectly normal.

9. Dkrom68

Dkrom68 Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

Not a big deal at all even flavors you buy change over time mix up some Tobacco abolute and watch it change to orange in a few days

10. AlexTM

I'm certain there are other factors at play here ... my TA stays slightly greenish-brown for as long as it lasts :O

11. Dkrom68

Dkrom68 Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

I dont mean your concentrated Alex I mean make a batch with the concentrate flavor my concentrate stays green forever

12. AlexTM

Both of mine stay the same tint of greenish brown, or rather brownish green ;) - both the flavour and the liquid I make from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.