DIY liquid getting darker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

justsomeguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2010
Texas
So I've been mixing my own liquid, and been really happy with the results overall, but I started noticing that my liquids are getting darker after a few days.

My supplies are all in amber bottles, and they seem fine.
But when I mix up a small batch of flavored liquid (usually about 10 or 15ml) I put it into a small clear plastic dropper bottle.

The liquid looks clear on the first day - and after a few days it gets an orange like tint to it. Since I noticed I've been keeping an eye on it, and have noticed that it's getting darker still.

I'm guessing it has something to do with exposure to sunlight.
But mainly I'm wondering is this something I should be concerned with at all? Is this just an effect of the flavoring, or is it an indicator of impurities in the liquid?

Any thoughts?

justsomeguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2010
Texas
Thanks for the info.
I had read something about that - but for some reason thought it had something to do with impurities in the liquid, didn't realize it was just he nature of nicotine.

Just did some searching on 'nictotine' and 'photosensitive' and sure enough you're right.
That would help explain why my liquid has turns darker much faster than the lower nic liquid my wife has been vaping.

7thCabal

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
808state
I've noticed this with Capellas van. custard, french van., orange cream... some lorran stuff too, I forget which tho. Haven't notice any from the Flavourart stuff yet.

I believe its a reaction of all things in the bottle-- doesn't seem to effect taste just psyche, IMHO.

Personally I like liquids that aren't too heavy on unintended coloring-- slight tint=yes, day-glo/red-orange=it have to be pretty damn tastey

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Thanks for the info.
I had read something about that - but for some reason thought it had something to do with impurities in the liquid, didn't realize it was just he nature of nicotine.

Just did some searching on 'nictotine' and 'photosensitive' and sure enough you're right.
That would help explain why my liquid has turns darker much faster than the lower nic liquid my wife has been vaping.

I've noticed this ... and I keep my niquids in a black lock-box. Iirc, the small (or not so small, depending on the size and fill-level of your bottle) amount of air in the bottle is a culprit in this darkening, as well.

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread