Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015

PilotNY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2015
Lascassas, Tn
Hello, recently I bought a diy recipe

I have a few more for sale if the price is right! j/k As Sir said above, use a juice calculator, plug in the batch size, Nic strength, and percent of flavoring. There is a thread for TFA flavor percentage recommendations on here somewhere as a starting point. But eventually, you will have to decide what percent of flavor suits you. Check out the DIY section for lots of information. Good luck!

Danceswithvaper

Feb 7, 2016
Thanks for the response and I apologize for the delay. Heres a better explanation that hopefully helps.
1. VG w/100mg per ml of Nicotine
2. PG (alone)
3. Signature flavors are
Berry Crunch, Rice Crunchies, Bavarian cream, Ripe strawberry. CAPELLAS are marshmallow. Flavor Art is fuji apple.
Im trying for 12mgs-nicotine, 10ml bottle, 70percent VG, 30percent PG. It might be simple for most but not for me. Thanks again for your time.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Thanks for the response and I apologize for the delay. Heres a better explanation that hopefully helps.
2. PG (alone)
3. Signature flavors are
Berry Crunch, Rice Crunchies, Bavarian cream, Ripe strawberry. CAPELLAS are marshmallow. Flavor Art is fuji apple.
Im trying for 12mgs-nicotine, 10ml bottle, 70percent VG, 30percent PG. It might be simple for most but not for me. Thanks again for your time.

I'm assuming that all your flavor are in PG.

Yea these dilutions things are painful but not such a big deal... Calculators certainly help but you need to know what you're doing. lt's a bit late for me here but I'll take you through another time if necessary... sry. If you use the calculators assume that your flavor are in PG so you end up with 70VG/30VG. I never use them but I suppose that they include the flavor % in the volume calculation. Otherwise, post you flavor %, the only info missing, and sure we'll send you back the exact composition for a 10ml batch... Until you get more familiar with it.

350ZMO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
www.ecigarette411.com
2. PG (alone)
3. Signature flavors are

You can't get there by adding straight PG i.e. PG (alone).

Simply adding PG to get your target 12mg/ml would be 88percent PG and 12percent VG.

You need to also add straight VG (no nicotine).

It is generally assumed that there are 20 drops per ml, but I have not found that to be the case with my dropper. I recommend a graduated bottle or cylinder for proper measurement, $10 on Amazon for a 100ml graduated cylinder. If you are going to use the drop by drop method, at least one time measure how many drops for your situation are in a ml for each. You can fill a 10ml bottle (if it is marked) or graduated cylinder one drop at a time then divide by 10. Do this for both PG and VG. You may be surprised to find a large difference as I did.

To get to 12mg nic strength you will need 88% of non-nicotine liquid added to the 100mg/ml VG. Since 12% of that is already VG you need to add 70% (target VG) minus 12% (already there just to get nic level) or 58% straight VG and 30% PG.

So in 10ml, that would be 10ml (total volume) times 12% (to get nic level) or 1.2ml of 100mg/ml VG, 10ml (total volume) times 58% (straight VG) or 5.8ml of straight VG, and 10ml (total volume) times 30% (straight PG plus flavoring) or 3ml of PG.

10ml total
======
1.2ml of 100mg/ml VG (think of it this way, 120mg total nic in 10ml bottle is 12mg/ml)
5.8ml of straight VG (fill bottle with above then add straight VG until you reach 7ml level ie 70%VG)
3ml of straight PG (including flavoring).

When measuring 3ml of PG, just put in the drops of flavoring you need first, then fill the remainder with PG.

Alternatively, I have found the PG ratio doesn't need to be that accurate. In other words just add 3ml of PG and a few drops of flavoring, it'll be close enough to 70/30.

The mg's of nic does take up some volume in ml's. Don't worry about it. The density of pure nicotine liquid is 1.009 g/mL. So 120mg of nicotine is ~0.12g or 0.12ml i.e. a couple of drops. The density of PG is 1.036 g/mL and the density of VG is 1.26 g/ml.

What is important though is the flavoring strength. I have found Capellas to be just right at 2.5% and 4% to be too strong for my likes. YMMV.

I don't flavor my base. I fill a tank or dripper bottle then add drops of flavor. 1-2drops in a 3-4ml tank or 5-6 drops in a 10ml bottle.

I have found it takes longer for the nicotine to even out than it does flavoring. Flavoring is good enough to go in a minute or less. But base mixes I let even out over night.

I also use a bigger bottle for storing my base. E.G. 250ml bottles. For me, the larger the base bottle, the less overall error I have. I find it easier to measure 30ml in a graduated cylinder than 1.2ml by counting drops. And I have both 10ml and 100ml graduated cylinders. I find the 10ml useless. I pour from the 250ml base bottles into 10ml fill/dripper bottles as needed. And since I don't flavor my base, I can use plastic bottles for the base. You can get half a dozen blue or brown for $10-$15 on Amazon. Fill two with base, when one is empty re-make it with more base. You can also leave one out and store the rest you made in the fridge. When that one left out is empty, take one out of the fridge and start the rotation all over again.

Also, I currently run 20mg/ml 100VG in an atty that will take up to 24W. I started with 33mg/ml at 12W and about 80/20. One 1000ml bottle of 100mg/ml VG lasted me for two and a half years. And that was with a lot of waste as I experiment with different attys and builds a lot. At a pack a day former smoker, that would have been nearly $3500. Which bought a lot of mods and attys for shiny-itis :D. Not to mention 18,250 analogs avoided.

The 100mg/ml VG came in a 1000ml blue plastic bottle. I kept it in the fridge and it cost about $110. When I emptied it, it also became a base storage bottle. Straight USP grade VG by the gallon is around $25 or less. Straight PG by the gallon is $30 or less. There are 33.814 ounces in 1000ml and 128 ounces in a gallon. So for 12mg strength there are 833 1.2ml doses in a 1000ml bottle of 100mg/ml VG. If I did the math right, for 70/30 VG/PG considering the 1000ml of 100mg/ml VG, that would be 1.27 gallons of VG and .66 gallons of PG to make 833 10ml bottles of 12mg/ml 70/30 VG/PG base for a total volume of 2.2 gallons.

Just wanted to share my experiences, HTH.

Welcome to DIY juice, best thing I did since switching to vaping.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Hello, recently I bought a diy recipe and im having trouble making this work, heres the situation. I have the PG, and VG-100mg/ml, and plain VG, and flavors. I just don't know how much of the VG,100mg/ml into a 10ml bottle for a 12mg nicotine level. Please help. This is my first post, I hope its in the right place. Gracias

That's why I use laboratory glassware and mix 100 ml batches. 10 ml nic in a graduated cylinder gets you 10 mg juice in a 100 ml batch. No math, no calculators, just stupid simple.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Hello, recently I bought a diy recipe and im having trouble making this work, heres the situation. I have the PG, and VG-100mg/ml, and plain VG, and flavors. I just don't know how much of the VG,100mg/ml into a 10ml bottle for a 12mg nicotine level. Please help. This is my first post, I hope its in the right place. Gracias

2. PG (alone)
3. Signature flavors are

Total volume = 10ml (100%)
VG volume = 7ml (70%)
PG volume = 3ml (30%)

VG added from nicotine solution = 1.2ml
Mg of Nicotine = 12mg/ml x 10ml = 120 mg
100mg/ml nicotine Volume = 120(mg)/100 (mg/ml)=1.2ml

Nicotine free VG volume to add to reach 7ml VG = 7ml - 1.2ml = 5.8ml

Total PG added from flavor
= % Flavor #1 /10 + % Flavor #2 /10 +... = V flavor or Vf

Total pure PG to add to reach 3ml
= 3ml - Vf

So for 10ml of 70%VG/30%PG @12mg/ml:

- 5.8ml of VG
- 1.2ml of 100mg/ml of nicotine in VG
- Vf ml of flavors (up to your recipe)
- 3ml-Vf of PG

now you can multiply these volumes by 2 for 20ml, 3 for 30ml, 4 for 40ml etc .... 10 for 100ml, 12 for 120ml etc...

Practically, as mentioned above working with small volume is more prone to error so it requires appropriate measuring equipment. In addition, it is hard to collect small volume of VG because of its viscosity. This require you to get use to handling VG with proper equipments.

Last edited:

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
That's why I use laboratory glassware and mix 100 ml batches. 10 ml nic in a graduated cylinder gets you 10 mg juice in a 100 ml batch. No math, no calculators, just stupid simple.

Oh Men, this is serious lab equipment... Is it 600ml of the same juice that you have in these erlenmeyers? I'm impress because I go for 30ml preps and occasional 100-120ml...

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Oh Men, this is serious lab equipment... Is it 600ml of the same juice that you have in these erlenmeyers? I'm impress because I go for 30ml preps and occasional 100-120ml...

Yeah, that's all the same juice. I make only one juice at present, because when I smoked it was only one flavor so eh, one juice works for me :)

That's not really serious lab equipment, it's just basic glassware you can get for a reasonable price at RTS Vapes:

Chemistry Laboratory Glassware & Lab Beakers by Borosilicate Glass | RTS Vapes

I got syringes to measure out each flavor in the mix and what I do is put the 10 ml of nic in a 100 ml graduated cyclinder, then inject each of the flavors into it, dump that all into a 150 ml beaker, then measure out the PG in the cylinder, dump that into the nic/flavors mix and fill the beaker to the 100 ml line with VG, which is pretty viscous stuff and you don't want to try measuring that in a graduated cylinder as a lot of it will just stick to the inside. Then I give it all the old turbo-stir with a glass rod, decant that into a 100 ml Erlenmeyer flask, and move on to the next 100 ml batch.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013

Isn't 12mg 12% of 100mg ?.

So you put 1.2 ml of nicotine VG in.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Yeah, that's all the same juice. I make only one juice at present, because when I smoked it was only one flavor so eh, one juice works for me :)

That's not really serious lab equipment, it's just basic glassware you can get for a reasonable price at RTS Vapes:

Chemistry Laboratory Glassware & Lab Beakers by Borosilicate Glass | RTS Vapes

I got syringes to measure out each flavor in the mix and what I do is put the 10 ml of nic in a 100 ml graduated cyclinder, then inject each of the flavors into it, dump that all into a 150 ml beaker, then measure out the PG in the cylinder, dump that into the nic/flavors mix and fill the beaker to the 100 ml line with VG, which is pretty viscous stuff and you don't want to try measuring that in a graduated cylinder as a lot of it will just stick to the inside. Then I give it all the old turbo-stir with a glass rod, decant that into a 100 ml Erlenmeyer flask, and move on to the next 100 ml batch.

These erlenmeyers and the graduated cylinder you have are of excellent quality, they can last forever if you don't break them on the ground. Easy to clean, they also can stand high temperatures for sterilization if necessary. This is good stuff from my stand point. I'm using measuring tools from around the kitchen as well as the left over syringes or such tools that come with liquid medicine. I got crapy syringes from Wizardlab with graduations that disappear in no time... There is also magnetic stir bar to use with a stirrer that are also awesome. These are relatively cheap in laboratory equipment suppliers, even on ebay.

Last edited:

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
These erlenmeyers and the graduated cylinder you have are of excellent quality, they can last forever if you don't break them on the ground. Easy to clean, they also can stand high temperatures for sterilization if necessary. This is good stuff from my stand point. I'm using measuring tools from around the kitchen as well as the left over syringes or such tools that come with liquid medicine. I got syringes from Wizardlab but the graduations disappeared in no time... There is also magnetic bars to use with stirrers that are also awesome.

Ah, the syringe markings issue again. Just put some clear packing tape around the syringe tube when you get it and you are golden :)

Yup, I'm very pleased with the lab glassware I got from RTS Vapes, though I should mention that the markings on the beakers and Erlenmeyer flasks is not exact but approximate. You need to depend on the graduated cylinder for precision.

When I started DIY I did the little 10 ml batches trying to work out recipes, and I found they didn't scale up well at all, and required measuring such tiny amounts that they didn't translate well at all into ml for a recipe. I finally just bit the bullet and went for 100 ml batches in which percentages and mg/ml of nic were ridiculously easy to figure out, and I didn't have to bother with some arcane app on my phone or do math about it. Sure I made a bad batch or two just trying to come up with a good recipe, but I got it worked out quickly and it didn't cost all that much considering the money I've saved not paying a vape store $80 a week for juice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimaz

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Ah, the syringe markings issue again. Just put some clear packing tape around the syringe tube when you get it and you are golden :)

Yup, I'm very pleased with the lab glassware I got from RTS Vapes, though I should mention that the markings on the beakers and Erlenmeyer flasks is not exact but approximate. You need to depend on the graduated cylinder for precision.

When I started DIY I did the little 10 ml batches trying to work out recipes, and I found they didn't scale up well at all, and required measuring such tiny amounts that they didn't translate well at all into ml for a recipe. I finally just bit the bullet and went for 100 ml batches in which percentages and mg/ml of nic were ridiculously easy to figure out, and I didn't have to bother with some arcane app on my phone or do math about it. Sure I made a bad batch or two just trying to come up with a good recipe, but I got it worked out quickly and it didn't cost all that much considering the money I've saved not paying a vape store $80 a week for juice.

Lol... The tape trick is a good one and no need of app for me either, but just a basic calculator sometime. Once you figure that 100ml is the 100%, then it's easy to put all % in ml and fill up to 100ml the graduated cylinder accordingly to the desired PG/VG ratio. Even to go for smaller batches, once you got the volumes for 100ml, let say for 20ml, all volumes can be divided by 5 (100ml/20ml)... Your method is very practical and headache free with the only need of knowing what's in PG (usually all flavors) and what's in VG (nicotine if it's the case). Nic is in PG makes it even easier....

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Lol... The tape trick is a good one and no need of app for me either, but just a basic calculator sometime. Once you figure that 100ml is the 100%, then it's easy to put all % in ml and fill up to 100ml the graduated cylinder accordingly to the desired PG/VG ratio. Even to go for smaller batches, once you got the volumes for 100ml, let say for 20ml, all volumes can be divided by 5 (100ml/20ml)... Your method is very practical and headache free with the only need of knowing what's in PG (usually all flavors) and what's in VG (nicotine if it's the case). Nic is in PG makes it even easier....

Well I get my nic from Nude Nicotine in PG, and that is figured into my recipe, but you are right, it works quite practically and simply without the need of calculators. One simply measures based on 100. In a 100 ml batch this is remarkably simple. Currently I'm using a 60% PG and 40% VG recipe, with four flavorings and I've been vaping that, with little variation for a long time now. I prefer to get my nic in PG because it's easier to pour and measure. VG is thick and sticks to glass, making it harder to measure and pour accurately. Some will always cling to the glass, throwing off the measurement.

Reactions: Nimaz

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Well I get my nic from Nude Nicotine in PG, and that is figured into my recipe, but you are right, it works quite practically and simply without the need of calculators. One simply measures based on 100. In a 100 ml batch this is remarkably simple. Currently I'm using a 60% PG and 40% VG recipe, with four flavorings and I've been vaping that, with little variation for a long time now. I prefer to get my nic in PG because it's easier to pour and measure. VG is thick and sticks to glass, making it harder to measure and pour accurately. Some will always cling to the glass, throwing off the measurement.

You make pretty smart and pratical choices in your making. I like that!

Reactions: Vaslovik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread