DIY premix question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
Hello, I'm looking to get into making my own juice as my suplier just went under due to the new FDA regulations.

I have found this Nicselect 12mg Nicotine Base Wholesale which is a PG/VG mix with a 12mg nic base.

My question is, is this stuff ready to vape? Add flavor an go? From what I read you can select your PG/VG ratio, so to my thinking you would need this and flavoring and you would be good, correct?

I really don't want to get into mixing PG/VG or handling pure nico, if this is what I think it is I think it would be simple, flavor to taste and go.

Am I looking at this correctly? Thank you.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.

Nope.

You want to go with separate pg,vg,nic. You think it is going to be easier the other way but it really isn't. Have a look at this sticky at the top of this page for a general idea of how we mix Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
Nope.

You want to go with separate pg,vg,nic. You think it is going to be easier the other way but it really isn't. Have a look at this sticky at the top of this page for a general idea of how we mix Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Ok, cool. Looks fairly simple to me.. How did you come up with your flavor percentages? That's where I'm sorta lost. I can figure PG/VG and nic levels but the flavor, that's a tricky one. I'm planning to only use 1 flavor which would be a watermelon candy.

Also, are you using the 100% nic base?

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello, I'm looking to get into making my own juice as my suplier just went under due to the new FDA regulations.

I have found this Nicselect 12mg Nicotine Base Wholesale which is a PG/VG mix with a 12mg nic base.

My question is, is this stuff ready to vape? Add flavor an go? From what I read you can select your PG/VG ratio, so to my thinking you would need this and flavoring and you would be good, correct?
I really don't want to get into mixing PG/VG or handling pure nico, if this is what I think it is I think it would be simple, flavor to taste and go.
is this stuff ready to vape?
Sure, you can vape it.
Add flavor an go? From what I read you can select your PG/VG ratio, so to my thinking you would need this and flavoring and you would be good, correct?
Correct, might even taste good. As with anything, you get back what you put into it. The more the effort in studying, the better your results might be.

Might like to read:
diy_beginners_guide - DIY_eJuice
dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Hoosier's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
DIY
How hard is it to get in to DIY liqiud?
What you need to know as as far as supplies and safety for the first time juicer. | E-Cigarette Forum
Tips for Beginners – DIY OR DIE VAPING

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
The real answer depends on what kind of vaper/ mixer you think you are. Using a premixed unflavored base (VG + PG + nic) and then adding flavor to it requires you to have some flexibility in your target percentages. Adding flavor dilutes your nic strength and changes your PG/VG ratio. The more flavoring you add; the more everything changes.

IF
you are only going to mix one flavor (or combination of flavors), at one percentage, and never want to change/do something different. Then you could buy a premixed unflavored base and get known results.

But "best" flavor percentage is different for every person and every flavor. It is all dependent on how good it tastes to you. One person might like Watermelon Candy at 2%, but someone else might need it at 18% to taste best for them. It all hinges on your, and yours alone, taste buds. The only way to learn what your percentage will be is to do some small batch (+/-5 mL ?) testing. Good old trial and error my friend.

This matters because the more flavor you add to your base the more it is going to dilute your nicotine and alter your PG to VG ratio. (All flavors have some sort of carrier. Usually PG, sometimes VG, and still others some sort of combination.)

So, the people that do best using a low nic PG/VG blended base, are those that don't care if there is a variation in their nic level and PG/VG ratio. For example: say you normally like to vape your juice at a 30PG/70VG ratio and 6mg/mL nic strength. If you don't care if it is 40/60 3mg. to 20/80 8mg. then premixed base is probably OK for you. But if you still want it to stay right at 30/70 6mg, you are probably going to need to have some plain VG, plain PG, and some more concentrated nic on hand, just so you can tweak your final mix back in line.

If you are doing all that tweaking; you may as well mix it the way you want it from scratch. It is actually easier, cheaper, and faster.

Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of people who don't care and are quite happy mixing this way. However, even many of these folks will still by plain PG, plain VG, and concentrated nic, and make their own base because it is much cheaper than paying a company to do it for them.

The lower the nic target; the less noticeable nic dilution seems to be. If I have a target nic of 3%; a +/- 50% variant give me a range of 1.5% to 4.5%. Compare to a 12% target with the same +/- 50% variant. I now have a range of 6% all the way to 18%. This is kind of an extreme example but you can see what I am talking about.
Many people have concerns about handling concentrated (not "pure." Pure nic,<100%> is 1,000mg/mL and is NOT readily available through retail sources. 100mg/mL <10%> is the highest most DIYers will use) nicotine and that is not a bad thing. But, with understanding and reasonable care, there is nothing to be afraid of mixing with up to 100mg/mL (10%) nic. Always protect your children and pets (neither they, nor your nic, should be in the same room at the same time) and talk to your physician if you have any personal health concerns.

I like what @BrotherBob said "As with anything, you get back what you put into it. The more the effort in studying, the better your results might be." Take a little time, read the really good links he shared with you, watch the videos @dobroeutro shared, and @Capt.shay's thread is really good too.
I wish you all the best on your DIY journey! :toast:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
With flavors, your tastebuds make the call. Even the individual flavors that you mix together. For example; Apple Pie w/cinnamon. The Apple and pie may be great, but your tastebuds are saying, "where's the cinnamon?". So you have to adjust that.

Another thought to consider is that many flavor makers have a flavor that is called the same by another maker. Say, that Apple that you want to put in your Apple Pie with cinnamon. There are a bunch of companies that have an "Apple" flavoring.

I know that this started about base, and that is really the easy part. But, when you get a recipe, don't be surprised if you adjusting it a bunch of times. Take lots of notes. Every thing you do, every thing you think, every reason you are doing it and every end result and why you think it turned out that way.

It is rather fun. Rewards are delicious.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    I'd like to say you've been given one helluva lot of nuggets from all these posters. Hopefully I can add one at the end.

Looking at this calculator I could go by weight or volume.. But does this look right? For a 120ml batch at 50/50 12mg?
    Yes, kudos to you. I can't comment on the taste however, but with only 1 flavor it would be quite linear (only watermelon, nothing different from inhale to exhale) and not much mouthfeel. I can tell you that Pear and Coconut pairs well with Watermelon

One person might like Watermelon Candy at 2%, but someone else might need it at 18% to taste best for them.
    So true, and if you decide to mix up a recipe from someone else, remember it's just a starting point. Think of it as a half finished painting where you can add a little more of this, and a touch less of that, next time.

There are a bunch of companies that have an "Apple" flavoring.
    Abslutely. Is it a red apple, or a green apple. And for those two, is it like a fresh fruity apple or a candied apple. I think it's safe to with vendors such as Capella (CAP), Flavor West (FW), TheFlavorApprentice(TFA/TPA) a starting % of 5% works. For most others such as Inawera(INW), FlavourArt(FA), Flavorah(FLV), you'd start around 1-2%. There are exceptions for each vendor.

*My nugget for you -> Don't just buy flavors that sound good. Start by finding recipes that sound good, with good reviews, and buy those flavors. You'll build up a stash for when you feel you're ready to venture out on your own. Read other's flavor notes and always write your own.

It's much easier to just jump in.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I can tell you that Pear and Coconut pairs well with Watermelon
    You just taught me something! :D I knew watermelon and coconut but I haven't heard using pear. I could see where that would compliment. Does it add to mouth-feel as well?
    *My nugget for you -> Don't just buy flavors that sound good. Start by finding recipes that sound good, with good reviews, and buy those flavors. You'll build up a stash for when you feel you're ready to venture out on your own. Read other's flavor notes and always write your own.
    Man! I wish I could say so much with such economy of words. :facepalm: Great points!!

The only thing I would be so bold to add would be:
    If you find another DIYer sharing his/her recipes that you like right out of the gate; make a note of the person's name/user ID and what site(s) they are posting on. It is good to find a recipe you like; but you are winning the lottery when you can find another mixer that has a palate like your own!

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    I could see where that would compliment. Does it add to mouth-feel as well?
    Nah, just a good accent. I really find a fresh cream or marshmallow and there's another one that adds mouthfeel/thickening without messing up the flavors.

:facepalm: Great points!!
    All you guys had great points, and my hopeful nugget kept drifting in and out of my head while writing all those comments

make a note of the person's name/user ID
    Now there's a great nugget that I just learned and it makes such sense.

I seem to be following you around quite a bit these days. I'm trying to be the kinder, more gentle me, if you know what I mean. :shock:

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I seem to be following you around quite a bit these days. I'm trying to be the kinder, more gentle me, if you know what I mean. :shock:
    I don't know who is following who. I will be the first to declare myself a hopeless ECF DIY E-Liquid forum junkie. I have to read each and every new post. The hard part is keeping my yap shut. :facepalm::lol:

There are so many great people here that are so generous with the knowledge they have. I feel like a 5 year-old that has been told to go to bed. I KNOW I am gonna miss something good! I really am grateful to all the people that have blazed the trail for me, and my success to overcome those nasty, stinky, analog death sticks. I couldn't have done it without all the good people here!! Now I simply try to return the kindness by passing it on.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2013
    W. Ma. U.S.A.
    I can tell you that Pear and Coconut pairs well with Watermelon

You just taught me something! :D I knew watermelon and coconut but I haven't heard using pear. I could see where that would compliment. Does it add to mouth-feel as well?

Grape. Watermelon likes grape.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2013
    W. Ma. U.S.A.
    And this is what keeps me coming back! Thanks Capt.! I haven't heard that one either. Do you have a "ball park" ratio that works for you? (watermelon:grape?)

I didn't come up with the idea of watermelon/grape combo. I read about it long before I tried it. Something like 5-1 ratio, depending on the maker. I use the grape candy with regular watermelon often.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    So glad I was taking some time to peruse this forum! One of my favorites from my local shop is "a blend of watermelon and grape candy." I would have never tried it had they told me what was in it first, but now it has been part of my daily vape for months.

Thank you @Capt.shay for adding to my next DIY order! :w00t:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Are you guys aware of which Grape, from any vendor, steeps clear? IIRC, my TFA grape candy steeped to yellow? (Net's down so I can't check) I have a vendor grape that I want to clone and it's clear.
    It's been a while since I have mixed with it but I do not recall Grape Juice-TFA turning color.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread