DIY Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all been lurking for a little while in this section but am getting kinda tired of buying pre-made stuff for my dad and was looking into possibly making it for him myself. What I was wondering though is I found a website that sells 6mg liter bottles of nicotine and it said it is a 50/50 PG/VG mix, what I need to know is if I were to purchase this liquid would the only other thing I need be flavors or is there something else that I would need to purchase. I have been reading up on DIY stuff and while I understand the mixing aspect I just need to know would I still need to buy a PG or VG base or is it already there in the nicotine liquid I would be buying?

I understand that part but what I am talking about is other sites have stated that I would not only need to buy nicotine but also PG and VG liquid for bases and what I am wanting to know is if I am ok with a 50/50 ratio would all I need to buy is the nicotine liquid since it is 50/50 VG/PG or do I need to buy another type of liquid besides the nicotine and the flavor?

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Here's a good calculator to download and play around with. eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator Every flavor manufacturer is different. Some taste good at 2-5%. Others need 10-15%. There are lot's of threads here (though you may have to look a little) that give "suggested" starting % for the different brands.

I'd start with a higher mg nicotine (say 36). That gives you plenty of room to add lot's of flavor and still get you to 6mg 50/50.

And yes, you will need to buy some PG and VG. You will also need something to measure with (I like syringes).

Edit: Since you're going for a 50/50 mix, I'd suggest buying the nicotine in a PG only base. It's just easier that way.

Last edited:

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
If he vapes 6mg, then if you get 6mg/ml 50/50, all you'd need to add is whatever flavoring you want. Of course you end up with less than 6mg and slightly higher pg than vg due to the dilution from the added flavoring.

You only need to add plain VG & PG if you start with a higher nic concentration than you want for the finished liquid.

RocketPuppy

Veteran Puppy
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Bay Area, California, USA
Hello all been lurking for a little while in this section but am getting kinda tired of buying pre-made stuff for my dad and was looking into possibly making it for him myself. What I was wondering though is I found a website that sells 6mg liter bottles of nicotine and it said it is a 50/50 PG/VG mix, what I need to know is if I were to purchase this liquid would the only other thing I need be flavors or is there something else that I would need to purchase. I have been reading up on DIY stuff and while I understand the mixing aspect I just need to know would I still need to buy a PG or VG base or is it already there in the nicotine liquid I would be buying?

Here's a simple blog which what you need and prices: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/rocketpuppy/6421-simple-buying-guide-starting-diy.html

Btw...Heartland Vapes sells a liter of 6mg for $25.99, but once you dilute it down, for two dollars more, go with the 12mg. Nicotine Solution 6mg Pure USP Grade - Liter Heartlandvapes Wholesale

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
You can buy premade unflavored nic juice from several people if you are not wanting to mix everything yourself. You can google unflavored nic juice and a bunch come up. It is still cheaper to buy your own nic, pg and vg and mix it the way you want. No doubt it is still a lot cheaper and very easy to do. That is what I do. I just flavor my unflavored juice. Good luck to ya and happy vaping.

RocketPuppy

Veteran Puppy
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Bay Area, California, USA
well this is for my dad and he just use 6mg premixed stuff so I am looking for that or something close a mg higher or lower is fine but not much more than that

If you buy 12mg nic, which is more cost effective than the 6, here's a rough calculation (depending on how much flavor you want). A few places sell unflavored nic in 50/50.

rygeqe9u.jpg

MotherNatural

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
When I first started DIY I did as you are. I purchased a small bottle of 18mg nic (which is what I was vaping at the time) and simply added flavoring. Once I got a few practice runs in with handling, calculating, and measuring I ordered a higher nic concentration and felt comfortable using it. Using the calculator makes it easy. You simply fill in the blanks and it tells you how much of each ingredient to mix. The higher concentration is just more practical for storage and finances and it's easier to adjust the final nic level.

If you buy 6mg unflavored, and add some flavorings for a total of 5-10%, you're only diluting the nic level by that much..

Is your father really going to notice that he's now vaping 5.4-5.7mg? Probably not.. And you don't even have to tell him... :D

That is really all I wanted to know is if I bought 6mg 50/50 would I have to buy anything else other thel flavoring and also I am only going to be mixing 10ml bottles in the beginning until I get down a formula that he likes.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
The short answer is yes. It really is that simple. That's all that has to be in juice. Your next question might be, what flavors are good stand alone? Some are just better mixed with others, some are not so hot without additives. What flavors does your father prefer? We should be able to help you replicate them without a bunch of fuss.

Bryong70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
DFW
I would not worry about it too much. If you want 6mg/ml nicotine as a vape, just add flavor. Adding flavor that is pg based is not going to make that much of a difference to the dilution of the 6mg/ml base, unless it is a lot of flavoring being added. Basically every percentage you add of flavor will dilute it by that much.

In other words if you add say 5% of flavors, your 6mg base will reduce by 5%, becoming 5.7mg/ml.

well thanks everybody for your help, I don't really know what flavor he is going to settle on right now he buys his liquid from a place called eliquid market and the one he is partial to tastes like marlboro red and the other one is camel. I was looking at some 3ml sample flavors on Pure Vapes made by flavourart and I think he is just going to buy a few of them and see what he likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread