DiyFlavorShack - Help With DIY - Any Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
SomeWhereOverTheRainbow, GA
Thank again for all your help. I feel like a kid with my first chemistry set.

SEE! That is exactly what scares me, you have no idea the trouble my first chem set got me into...

my problem is going to be the math involved in all of this though... since childhood i have digressed to a point of mathematical ......ation... Ive looked over that spread sheet calc for DIY.... i have the e-juice app on my droid... but what i need is a literal step by step

oh and also what i need .. is to know about the measurements... like the e-juice app that i have... is defaulted values of 30 drops = 1ml ... is that true with the supplies that will be inside my DIY kit that im getting? (woot for Dawns contest btw...)

helps with the scary #'s Please?

john doe

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
Drops aren't very accurate as different liquids have different viscosities and make different sized drops. For small taste tests drops are a good starting point for the %s. For example:1 drop flavor A, 2 drops Flavor B, 7 drops other would be 10% A, 20% B 70% other.(other would be VG,PG,nic.) or for 1 ml, .1ml A, .2ml B, .7ml other.

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
So lets say i wanted to mix up 20ml of a banana flavored juice..

i want said juice to be 12mg... and i want it to be 60VG/40PG... the starting nico juice is 36mg i think.... not sure what else is in the nic juice... Ive never used it before...

reading john doe..

my target is 20ml.. 10% of that would be 2ml? so if i wanted 60% VG that would be 12ml of VG? and 8ml of PG.. but that's 100%.. how much nic juice would i add in to cut 36mg down to 12mg? and do i have to take out some vg/pg to compensate for the volume of the nic juice being added.. and then there comes the flavoring ....

is there and "idiots guide" to this stuff somewhere? im pretty sure im going to poison myself

i recall somewhere reading that 5-10% flavoring is a good range depending on the concentration of the individual flavoring... now knowing that.. lets say i start off assuming i want 10% flavoring. that leaves me 90% "other" stuff to put in.. if i want my juice to have a 60/40 vg/pg ratio... how do i do that taking into account i have to add nic solution also.

thanks everyone that can help me... i haven't even gotten my DIY kit from Dawn yet, (got the usps tracking this morn.. thanks again dawn) and im already eager to get this figured out.

john doe

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
if the nic is pg then that becomes part of the pg %. if you have scubabatdans calculator you can plug in the % of flavor and vg then your target nic and starting nic strength.
you may have to reduce vg a little because according to the calculator you have to remove pg. at 55% it's 6.67ml nic, .22ml pg, 11ml vg, and 2ml flavor with .11 ml other. add the other to the vg, 11.11ml vg.
a little glitch in the program makes you add some other to work right.

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
right on.... ive taken a look at scuba's calc once before...

looks like ill be fiddelin with it again...

and i highly like the idea of rounding to even #'s.... as i was reading that.. i was sitting here thinking how the heck am i supposed to measure out .22ml ...guess that would become .20 or .25.. prolly best to round down in that case....

thanks for the help john... and dawn.. hey that ryhmes.. as least it does to me at 7:30a

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
Question: How do i use the 50/50 vg/pg USP mix that was inside my DIY kit?

for example.. the scuba's e juice spreadsheet allows for a nic base of either pg or vg.. then you cut into the opposite.. do i use this 50/50 to mix up nic free juices? or is there a way to cut nic into? just not sure how this is to be used...

helps?

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
Dawn, I was wondering if you had any tips to make certain flavors stronger. For example, I have blueberry from Capella's. I've tried adding high percentages up to 25% and I can't seem to get the flavor to come out like I want it to. Also lemon. I have a lemon flavor, but it is very weak and it is water soluble. Your lemon in the lemon poundcake is amazing. How do you get the lemon to come out so strong? Do you use oil based lemon?

Just wondering if there was some sort of flavor enhancer out there besides ethyl maltol. Maybe some food additive like citric acid or something along those lines.

dawnmarie

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Las Vegas Nevada
www.diyflavorshack.com
HI
well capella and other regular flavorings are hard... so that is why i am coming out witht he expert line.. it does cost more BUT at 4% - 8% compared to 25 -40% you can see the money Savings...
i have been working on this for a long time and finally slowly have been putting out these expert flavors...

the poundcake is bringing out the lemon.. i dont use anything additives.. at all... sometimes if asked i will use EM..

but please try the experts .. i will slowly be replacing most flavors i carry and i think you guys will love them

thanks dawn

DrOckW

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Colorado
I got a Blueberry from Dawn a little ways back, I think it is the expert flavor.

The key here is I make it about 10%, which is very strong. It tastes great for a few hits, then I get used to it. I don't think there's a way to keep the flavor going all by itself.

What I do is make my own recipe (I've never even looked at recipes so no one can claim I've stolen thiers, reverse engineering rules). I make a juice of pear, blueberry, and peach with a drop of cheesecake that tastes just like a stick of Juicy Fruit gum you can even taste the gum base. That seems to bring out all of the flavors well.

You might mix blueberry with a bread or cakey flavor (don't remember what's out there) to make a blueberry muffin, this might keep the flavor on your tongue longer. Blueberry cheesecake is delicious but I get used to the flavor of the blueberry and just have the sweet and tangy cheesecake left after a few minutes.

Hope this helps!

Doc

Teach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Florida
I make a juice of pear, blueberry, and peach with a drop of cheesecake that tastes just like a stick of Juicy Fruit gum you can even taste the gum base. That seems to bring out all of the flavors well.
Doc

aaahh, Doc... Juicy Fruit?! Why'd ya' have to go and do that?! I've been thinking about Juicy Fruit since I started vaping (35 days and counting). Now I have to go find some more flavors.

Dawnmarie - I've been using my kit, but I really out grew the box pretty quickly - I went way overboard on the paraphernalia. I must admit, I goosed your menthol mix with the 4oz of menthol crystals you included... I'm still using that same bottle eventhough I vape primarily menthol. I am experimenting with some of the flavors you included too...

The mixing kits and the expert flavors are great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread