DNA 40, NR, Nickel Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I'm doing mostly cotton, 28-30-32 gauge, 2-3-4mm macrocoils for the most part. Microcoils in my experience dont work that well. I have done 32g around 2mm silica (hand wrapped) for a rebuild of a dual coil kanger head. Twisted wire works well too but you do need to run very thin gauge to get enough resistance to work well.

As far as temperature it varies according to personal preference and juice PG/VG ratio (VG = higher temp). I also found smaller coils required higher temperatures to achieve good production. Generally I run in the 400-460 range.

I have done a few for fun and exotic builds as well such as coiling a barrel around the center post of an atomizer, and it worked quite well.

You do need to avoid kinks in the wire or it will overheat and break at that point, but other than that you can do all kinds of stuff.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
So you have a DNA40 board and you are using Nickel wire?

I'm doing mostly cotton, 28-30-32 gauge, 2-3-4mm macrocoils for the most part. Microcoils in my experience dont work that well. I have done 32g around 2mm silica (hand wrapped) for a rebuild of a dual coil kanger head. Twisted wire works well too but you do need to run very thin gauge to get enough resistance to work well.

As far as temperature it varies according to personal preference and juice PG/VG ratio (VG = higher temp). I also found smaller coils required higher temperatures to achieve good production. Generally I run in the 400-460 range.

I have done a few for fun and exotic builds as well such as coiling a barrel around the center post of an atomizer, and it worked quite well.

You do need to avoid kinks in the wire or it will overheat and break at that point, but other than that you can do all kinds of stuff.

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
How do you judge the resistance of the coil you make? Just for my own curiosity I checked out steam's coil builder....
u3153.jpg
I know 31/31 wraps is :facepalm: So what am I missing with these?

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Would dual coils be the logical way to get that low res. in your RBA's?

I heard some of the tanks Nautilus Aero will come with Ni200 coils...

Someone did post a coil setup photo or 2 of their beta tests in one of the threads.

it had like 5 or 6 spaced wraps, looked thick-ish, in a small atty like perhaps a Cyclone?

Last edited:

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
I'm thinking this board is going to lend itself nicely towards the use of rayon wicking, as larger diameter coils, spaced, seem to be optimal for rayon. I'm mostly eager to see how cool of a vape I can get, as I prefer a cooler vape personally, but I think n matter what is used to wick, we're going to see big numbers in days or ml's between rewicking.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
dr g said 2mm to 4mm ID coils
I'm thinking this board is going to lend itself nicely towards the use of rayon wicking, as larger diameter coils, spaced, seem to be optimal for rayon. I'm mostly eager to see how cool of a vape I can get, as I prefer a cooler vape personally, but I think n matter what is used to wick, we're going to see big numbers in days or ml's between rewicking.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
In general it's really normal coil building, but without the compromise tricks used to get coils to heat up faster or thermal transfer within the coil structure.

How did the vapor production compare?

Vapor production was excellent, not necessarily more than an unregulated coil but you can tune any coil for optimum output.

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
It took me a few tries tinkering with different coils - gauge, wraps, single, dual, twisted, that sort of thing - to find the coil that's right for me, then tinkering with the temp/watts setting that is right for me.

I love love love the twisted 34g dual coil it absolutely rocks with crack, sizzle, pop and with temp mode I get the perfect warm, wet, juicy, and best flavor/taste/vapor volume with my vape. win-win!!

And srsly, the no dry hits no burnt wick no burnt taste is for realz I've vaped my tank dry and maxed out the temp mode settings just to see lol.

Twisted 34g nickel wire...
c1.png

5 wraps around each chimi wick (tightly rolled 500 mesh inside 1/8" silica sleeving)...
c2.png

My fave settings with this twisted 34g dual coil...
c3.png

Avani DNA40 dual 18650 batts...
c4.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread