DNA 40, NR, Nickel Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2014
Utah
I just ordered a roll of tempered 30g ni200 from stealth vapes. I've been twisting what I'm assuming is annealed 30g to make it firmer, so I'm hoping this will work a bit better for me. I had noticed with my kanthal builds that twisted usually took some extra time to ramp up, which I think is the same thing that's happening with my current twisted ni200.

I'm a little intrigued by titanium wire, but some of the stuff I've read so far has turned me off from it a bit. Haven't found any real "research" though.
When I got my tempered nickel that's when everything changed for me. My builds were stable and just worked for me. So I obviously relate a lot of my success to the tempered wire. But I also have to realize that I had a few weeks under my belt before I received my wire and so maybe things were just starting to fall into place for me.

I think you have to have a complete package in order to be successful with TP. For me that was finding a atty that was stable (I went through many atty's trying to find one that worked every time) finding the right wire (for me it's 30ga temeperd) and perfecting my nickel builds. And it really took me several weeks!

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
Well, back to kanthal :-/ The tempered stuff is definitely better, but now instead of constantly hitting TC it's giving me a bit of a burnt taste. After less than 1 ml of juice through it the middle 60% of my coil was already black. Threw my kanthal coil back in last night.

Granted this was my first attempt with the tempered ni200. I will be trying it again and coiling a bit tighter next time to see if that helps. I'm sure it's my coiling that's causing the problems.

in my experience burnt taste when using TC is normally a sign of a hot spot. The darkening of the coil after little use is something I get often. As long as flavor isn't affected I don't mind it much. My latest attempts with variable spaced coils seem to help with this issue.

Rikk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2014
Utah
in my experience burnt taste when using TC is normally a sign of a hot spot. The darkening of the coil after little use is something I get often. As long as flavor isn't affected I don't mind it much. My latest attempts with variable spaced coils seem to help with this issue.
Words of wisdom and experience right there. And I mean that sincerely! Makes perfect sense....

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
I've been building nickel coils for awhile now and I think I have a good handle on it. Gone thru a plethora of rda's finding the most suitable. Even after all this time I finally had an awakening yesterday. After rebuilding several atty's the whole wattage thing finally made sense to me. I was still thinking with my kanthal cap lower resistance needing more power. Sometimes finding myself hitting TC too soon for my liking. Then it dawned on me to ignore wattage and pay closer attention to temp. I just instinctively started at 20w on a .12-.14 build. I would watch the temp hit peak and realized by lowering the wattage to where the temp just falls short of my set point I could take a sustained pull without TC kicking in and throttling back. Some builds might be 15w some maybe18w didn't matter as long as I regulated the power according to the temp. Now it's a much more satisfying vape consistently. Just goes to show even an old dog can learn new tricks. Lol

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Just got my dna40 yesterday. I had purchased 30 ga. for nr/r builds in my Ithika and thought I'd be ok. I wasn't. Thanks to this thread, I'm happily vaping on a new coil... a twisted 30, 1.7 pitch, 3.5 mm i.d., 7 wrap .1 ohm coil in my Kanger Subtank Mini. Never thought to twist until I came here. Thanks.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
From Steam-Engine.org... twist pitch: The distance between each "ridge" on the twisted wire. Use 0 for non-twisted wire (parallel strands). For improved accuracy: Count 10 ridges, measure their total width, and divide by 10.
Oh man.. I don't have the eyes for that anymore. LOL

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Oh man.. I don't have the eyes for that anymore. LOL
You and me both...
Magootpsm.gif

I've noticed that my lower ohm builds are more stable. I've been testing .17Ω - .20Ω builds (3mm ID) and they usually heat the atomizer much hotter than my .11Ω - .14Ω builds. I'm guessing they have hot legs as 10-12 spaced wraps is a really tight fit in my tanks. Now I'm building all my coils at 3mm ID, 8 wraps of 28g Ni200.

Rikk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2014
Utah
I find it hard to build that high for exactly the same reasons, and especially with 28ga.

My sweet spot is .14 and I usually hit that with 7/6 wraps of 30ga or 9/8 wraps of 29ga. Keeping it small and spaced has helped me so much because all I use are tanks.

I've got me a new Hana Modz coming next week with the large screen and I'm really excited to giver a go.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I build under one of these...

6e93015a9cfde0a73b821a368c4f0246.jpg
I have one of those but only use it for the 3rd hand help. I recently made a 3rd hand with Loc-line arms kinda like this:
FJC0OH2F7PCOX6T.LARGE.jpg

I used a bamboo cutting board as a base instead of a metal slab. I do need to add some weight though. I have 5 arms, 1 holds the magnifying glass I took off my old 3rd hand. I really don't need it but set it up in case I do.

I found out my near sight is compromised when I wear my contacts. I use reading glasses to see close up stuff but w/o my contacts, my near vision is better than with contacts and reading glasses.

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread