The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

DNA 40 stuck in OFF

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by Goldfinger41, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Goldfinger41

Goldfinger41 Full Member

Jul 2, 2014
    edenton,NC USA
    Don''t know if this thread goes here or somewhere else, so please bear with me.

I want to preface this with saying that I read the DNA40 EVOLVE DATASHEET However, although I looked through for an answer, I couldn't find one. To ensure I had not missed something, I used keyword searching as well within the document.

My DNA40 device is not responding to commands at the moment, and while it fires fine it is locked at 40 Watts and "OFF" is displayed on the screen. The screen is staying on, and not going to sleep. I'm unable based on the information contained in the DNA40 Datasheet to rectify this situation.

So I had a couple of questions hoping that this may have been encountered before.

1.) Can you reset a DNA40 with a button combination? Press a button at startup?

2.) How long will the onboard memory stay, without power to supply the chip?

Thank you so much for taking a moment to read this !

2. Flavored

Flavored Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 11, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Some DNA 40's had the screen glitch issue, I have a few of those myself. Usually a fuzzy screen, but sometimes it was a frozen screen showing the last settings applied. It is rectified by removing the battery, although it is very likely to re-occur. Sometimes with mine, the screen will flash while it "falls asleep," really weird. They fixed that eventually and were good about replacing the chips under warranty, but there are still some out there (in my drawer, for instance).
    Off usually means you (or someone) has raised the temperature control setpoint until it turns off (above 600F I think). If by "not responding to commands" you mean you can't lower watts, I'll suggest you try that before you fire it after putting the battery back in. I rarely change watts and didn't use TC when the 40's came out, so a glitchy screen was annoying, I just let it slide since the mod still worked and I figured out the battery workaround.

3. Goldfinger41

Goldfinger41 Full Member

Jul 2, 2014
    edenton,NC USA
    I have had this vaporshark DNA 40 since they came out, about 2+ years. never had a problem, And never tried the Temp control. I have always kept it simple. I will try your method and respond with results.
    Thanks for your help.

4. Flavored

Supporting member
    May 11, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Whoa, wait . . . I have one of those, only had 1 glitch ever with it, though it was in the last 2-3 charges . . . it has a soldered in battery, so unless you're really really good at soldering, I wouldn't mess with it too much.

You are speaking of the DNA 40 and not the rDNA 40, right?

5. Goldfinger41

Goldfinger41 Full Member

Jul 2, 2014
    edenton,NC USA
  6. Flavored

Supporting member
    May 11, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
  7. Goldfinger41

Goldfinger41 Full Member

Jul 2, 2014
    edenton,NC USA
    I finally got customer service, I will have to send it in, pay 30$ to get diagnostic test, they will fix it.
    the - button is stuck on the inside, that is what Mike said he thinks that's the problem. takes 5-10 days turn around time. Yippi Yi Ya !!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.