Do 100%vg liquids has less flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
I'm not alergic to pg but i like a lot of vg. since i've been into diy for over a year i don't feel qualified to judge the cost of buying 100% vg liquids, i have the impression that they cost more. i make my liquids approximately 70% vg. i mostly prefer sweet non-fruit flavors and i've been pretty satisfied with the amount of flavor in what i create.

it is hard to avoid pg based flavorings without limiting selection and paying more for flavorings. i dilute my 100%vg nic base to 95% because 100% vg can be hard to get through a measuring syringe but i suppose i could dilute it with distilled water instead.

if i were alergic to pg i would definitely try diy with flavorings with bases of water, alchohol or vg. i'm sure you can find some ecf threads on non pg flavorings.

Vapeman12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Georgia
Hope I am not allergic to PG, I have some juice coming that's going to be 50/50 pg/vg, so far i have only used pre mixed with VG and mixed my own juice using VG. Maybe that's why my two juices are not as strong in flavor as i thought they would be, maybe I should try adding some PG, I haven't gotten any. I know I get good Vapor with my VG and distilled water.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I initially tried ordering 100% VG flavors premade and felt the flavor was muted also. I am not allergic to PG but have realized after 2 years of vaping that I tend to prefer a higher VG juice. I DIY usually an 80/20 VG/PG juice using alcohol and VG based organic flavorings. I would say if you can't tolerate PG at all, then get a good alcohol/VG based organic flavor like Natures Flavors, and instead of thinning it with PG, use distilled water. Try to make it an 80/20 measure with whatever percentage flavoring you are using for the mix. I have one flavor that is 20% NF flavors and 80% VG. I have other flavors that only use about 10% of NF flavors, so I substitute the remainder 10% with PG to thin it out. Instead, I guess you could use distilled water, but I haven't tried using distilled water yet. They are good flavors though and that's just what I prefer. And the flavors don't seem to die when I DIY it myself.

Edit...Also, one thing I learned is the alcohol based flavorings give me the throat hit I needed to still use high VG and lower my nic finally. I do like the alcohol based flavorings.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What is the point of all VG or high ratio VG juices? If there is less of a throat hit and lass flavor, it would seem heavy on the PG side would be best.

Some people prefer a lot of vapor production (ie RBAs/RDAs using sub ohm coils) at the expense of less flavor, so they love 100% vg.

Some people have sensitivities or actual allergies to Pg, so they need all Vg juices.

All Vg juices can be mixed to have as much flavor as a good Pg/Vg mix with flavor shots or using all-natural all-organic flavorings, which I find to be just as flavorful if not more so if made by the hands of a knowledgable e-liquid vendor.

All Vg flavors will likely need more steep time than Pg/Vg mixes, as it is true that it doesn't take to absorbing flavorings as fast as Pg does.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
As others have mentioned Glycerin (VG) does not carry flavors as well as Propylene Glycol (PG). As a result, a good flavor blender must use more flavoring with high percentage VG juices than juices containing a significant percentage of PG.

I make my own unflavored DIY juice. This is 95% Glycerin USP (VG) and 5% distilled water. No flavoring. The mix is very thick. I use carto tanks and must put four good-sized punches into a carto to make this mixture work without burning a carto.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
All I know is I keep 3 of the 60 ml bottles on rotation that I make with 80% VG and 20% organic alcohol/VG based flavoring of my all day vape and it keeps me happy. They do have to steep. I do stress, they taste totally different after they steep and go from clear color to light orange color for my all day vape. So I find if I make big bottles of it ahead of time and leave them sit, by the time I get to them they are a light orange color and delicious. lol. And no, they don't loose their flavor at all. They enhance in flavor to me.

Vg also gives better vapor than pg, and not everyone likes TH.
I do not like pg, it irritates my throat. I can tolerate it at lower levels but I prefer no pg in my juices.
I just get extra flavor shots and it is just fine.
Bottom coil clearo's seem to do better for high vg juices as the juice doesn't have to climb the wick to get to the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread