Do E cigs cause wheezing & headaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

navien

Nov 29, 2010
Mumbai
Hi,

I have been smoking e-cigs for the last 6 months. I started smoking e-cigs to help me reduce or stop smoking cigs which I have been using (Marlboro's or other brands) for the last 40 years.

From June this year when I started with e-cigs, I reduced smoking Marlboro's from 30 cigs a day to about 8-10 cigs a day.

The problem is that I am now wheezing a lot & have constant headaches & neck aches. The doctor sent me for X-rays & heart echo tests to determine the cause of wheezing, but all tests were satisfactory.

Do e-cigs cause wheezing & a constant throat irritation & phlegm production? What is the reason & what is the remedy. I smoke STEAMS e-cigs.

Navien

Cindra

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Are you coughing? If so have them check for whooping cough. I got that over the summer and it started off with headache and wheezing, (Dr. first said it was a sinus infection) then went into a horrible cough that lasted for 3 1/2 months. I thought I was gonna die before it was gone. It is often missed in adults, especially smokers cause they automatically want to blame it on the cigs. While I had it my x-rays were clear, they could see nothing that would cause the wheeze or the cough, however, it was severe.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Getting too much nicotine would be a combination of the nicotine amount of the cart and how much you are vaping. if you are vaping more than you smoked or with more and/or bigger drags, then maybe you need lower nicotine.

Also, I am unfamiliar with your model and I don't know what type of glycol base would be in your carts (PG, VG or a mix), but some carts are 100% PG and that can be a bit harsh on the tongue and throat.

deathmetalmaster

Oct 25, 2010
lorton
Hey there dude. Ive been a smoker for about 11 years. pack and a half a day. I have quit completely for about 30 days and i must say that i have wheezed a bit too. read up on "smoking cessation" on google. apparently, your lungs will try to clean themselves out after a while. Probably because you arent putting as much junk in them as you would on a regular basis. just my two cents.

Hey there dude. Ive been a smoker for about 11 years. pack and a half a day. I have quit completely for about 30 days and i must say that i have wheezed a bit too. read up on "smoking cessation" on google. apparently, your lungs will try to clean themselves out after a while. Probably because you arent putting as much junk in them as you would on a regular basis. just my two cents.

That's the same thing that happened with me. A few weeks after i completely stopped smoking I was coughing alot but it went away and I feel like I can breath alot deeper now.
I haven't experienced any headache issues but I use really low (8mg) juices and I'm guessing from the experiences of others that it might be the nicotine level you're vaping

Good luck figuring it out!

venkman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Long Island, NY
coughing, wheezing, and phlegminess can all be signs of your lungs starting to clean themselves out. the headache could also be caused by TOO LITTLE nicotine. I don't know about your brand of ecig in particular, but a friend has a v2 cig (which is just an overpriced kr808), and i think what they consider "high" nicotine is something like 11mg...lower than what most of us vape.

meems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2010
Ohio
Hi, I quit reg cigs, it will be 4 yrs in Feb. I had a rough patch in my quit so I used nicotrol inhalers (script), those satisfied me for about 3 years, then I tried an e-cig..Ohh my gosh..the nico demon awoke in me like lightening! All the endorphines were buzzing in my head! True addict that I am...I'm smitten. Been vaping for 10 or so months now.

Last Sept I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (nasty nasty stuff), it is probably the only disease out there that nicotine is actually good for. So, true crackheaded nicodemon I am, I figure one is good 10 is great & I order the highest nicotine level for my eliquids. Bad bad move! Headaches, chest pain, this is not withdrawal, I've been off too long. I even cut it WAY down with non nicotine liquid & it's still womping on me. I feel like going to a Dr. for this right now is useless as they don't know the effects of e-cig vapors yet, we're the ginnea pigs.

I'm not actually coughing, but the burning in my chest is what hurts so bad..with some drainage. I still have my nicotrol inhalers, but those don't give me near the satisfaction of vaps...and I'm depressed because this has been going on for nearly 2 weeks & I know I have to completely stop ecigs to let this settle down, literally one drag undoes a whole night off. *sigh*

BestLion

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
Zaporozhia, Ukraine
Yeah Nicotine is a stimulant..so too much is like drinking too much coffee. i like nicotine in moderation... I think what you should do and what i did..is cut down the nicotine and smoke twice as much..the 36 is too power for 1 puff...but 18 is good for 2 puffs. i am down to 18 and this is enjoyable and I am smoking all day long my 501

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
There are three main parts to the liquids. The base liquid which will be either propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG) or a mix of the two, the nicotine, and the flavorings. Individuals can have responses to each of these things. The only way to know for sure which it is is to test each part. If the nicotine levels are higher than the inhaler, that could cause the headaches- the inhaler has 10 mg, with 4mg delivered per cartridge- a very low dose.

The wheezing and coughing could be due to either the base or to the flavorings. You can ask the manufacturer which base is used, and what the nicotine concentration is in the "high" liquid. You can purchase PG or VG and try them without the nicotine and flavor- to see if that gives you the same reaction. If not, then it could be due to the flavor components- and you might try testing different flavors.

Hope this helps a bit. Someone who knows mre about where to purchase the pure PG and VG can jump in with that info.

Here's what I recommend:

1) (as stated) H20! Drink 64 ounces a day. If you hate it, get some decaf sugarfree iced tea mix to throw in it.
2) Vitamin B. B helps with stress. It sounds like you're getting tension headaches. I swear by B vitamins and they've had an appreciable impact on my ease of transition from smoking to vaping.
3) Nutritionist - go see one! Usually chronic headaches are a strong indicator of a dietary imbalance. Go see a DO and/or a nutritionist and have some basic labwork done. You should ask to have your electrolytes checked and a CBC.

I work for a lab - so that's all lab jargon, but yeah that's what you want your doctor to run preliminarily. I recommend going to a DO over an MD because MDs tend to diagnose headaches down a neurological line rather than looking at a holistic view of everything that's going on. Headaches can really be caused by nearly anything - they're a warning from your body that something isn't quite right.

Wheezing can come from asthma (caused by smoking) or from congestion (caused by quitting smoking as your lungs begin to repair themselves). I would mention this to your doc but only as a thing to watch. Once you are off analogs this will probably improve and eventually dissipate.

If you are not experiencing nausea, sweats, high blood pressure, or sleep problems (especially very vivid nightmares) i would say you are probably not overdosing on nicotine. There are blood tests to show nic levels too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread