Do I really need an RDA?

Discussion in 'RDA' started by 6steelstrings, Dec 21, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. 6steelstrings

6steelstrings Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2014
    North Carolina Triad
    Right now I have one, a Mutation X v4. I keep having this urge to buy another one like a Goon, a Recoil or a Tsunami. But I have to ask myself why? I hardly ever use the one I've got and I find dripping to be somewhat of an inconvenience and messy at times. I like my big tanks because I don't have to refill them very often. Basically I am lazy.

So I've got four RTAs, two RDTAs and a dripper. So I can say I have a dripper, should I just be done with it at that?

hbproph and Foggy Road like this.
  2. ashtrayogdc

ashtrayogdc Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    I never use my drippers. Honestly they were probably a waste of money.

Eskie and Foggy Road like this.
  3. smacksy

smacksy Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2014
    El Cajon CA USA
    I don't use RDA's much these days..I do like big Rebuildable tanks (25mm).[​IMG] I really like the RTA-2 seen here with a Clapton build..big velocity style deck, huge adj juice ports and wide open airflow.. it's a lot easier than trying to build small RBA that came with the TFV8 kit..No leaks, No flooding, No dry hits and a big 6ml tank..
    And it vapes great... :)

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

nocigsnomore likes this.
  4. oplholik

oplholik Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I have a couple sitting around and use them mainly for testing my diy juices.

Eskie, nocigsnomore and Foggy Road like this.
  5. nocigsnomore

nocigsnomore Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 18, 2014
    Land of Oz
  6. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    The only atomizer I use is an SV rda clone, all day every day. To make that happen it has to not leak in my pocket and be convenient to use, etc. I solved those problems for my style of vaping but may be the issues are different for people who need big clouds.

hbproph likes this.
  7. Verb

Verb Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA
    I say go for it. A mutation should not be what you think an RDA can be.

8. Chickentender

Chickentender Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 23, 2014
    Seattle
    I'm in the same boat with a big "but" ... I've a literal box full of my previous RDAs. Over the past two years I've gotten them out less and less - there's probably one or two in there still with a slimy still-wicked build on it.

The "but" is the exception to this trend and it's my Veritas. Never left rotation and still gets used all the time. Single coil vert (usually) on kanthal lasts for literally months, always reliable, hardly ever a mess. It's not a chucker, just a daily driver with good flavor. Still my favorite RDA design since new (well... since a few days after new because I nearly hated the thing at first as many do/did). I just love the damn thing.

(edit: though I did recently pick up an Alliance and really dig the thing much more than the previous big draw attys I went through in the past. It'll keep seeing some home use I'd say. The others are just in a graveyard.)

melodiousThunk likes this.
  9. BrotherBob

BrotherBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    You would know if you need another RDA. RDA's are all I use. Style and what you deem important to you dictate your real needs.

frjaldomr likes this.
  10. mcclintock

mcclintock Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2014
    I may never stop using mine. I haven't had much luck with getting tanks to be satisfactory and I like a constant flavor adventure. It goes hand in hand with DIY ejuice because the flavor can be constantly adjusted.

I have several, but keep using the same Doge clone. It was about $6.

melodiousThunk and frjaldomr like this.
  11. Joergl100

Joergl100 Super Member

Got several RTAs, some RDTAs..and many drippers...and: I use them almost all. It is not getting boring at all!

Some I have sorted away...but new ones are added...and so on. For me, vaping is not a static thing at all! It goes further...and, since now, it has never stopped....maybe delayed, but never stopped!

To be flexible is most fun...and vaping IS fun for me; smoking was not.

My nowinhand is a Kennedy Trickster clone...wonderful...got it yesterday from FT...price was 8 Dollars and few cents!:w00t:

12. pappasmurfsharem

pappasmurfsharem Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Sounds like you should get into Squonking :thumb:

Rayonati Sloth and frjaldomr like this.
  13. Ben85

Ben85 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    RDA's are now the only thing I do use.

My suggestion? Grab yourself a Goon clone and see how you feel. It's a good all round performer and will not be messy like the MV4.

14. eLicky

eLicky Senior Member

May 1, 2016
    Sydney - Australia
    Myself use RDA's exclusively because (atm) I'm in a situation I can drip without an issue. For me, dripping is similar to the same motions/time I'd have spent rolling a smoke before I started vaping. And I agree, unless you pick up the knack over dripping can be an issue, there's actually a small amount of practice required to prevent leaking which varies between RDA's and I haven't succeeded completely.

Overall, I find RDA's the most efficent and orgnaic to use, especially in regards for my nicotine hit. Many RTA's I used before my 30mm RDA don't provide the same nic hit since moving away from them.

From my expereince a few good RDA's to try are Kennedy 25, Goon, Buddha 30mm V3.

These are the ones that stood out to me most on performance.

15. Jim Marshall

Jim Marshall Full Member

May 17, 2015
    You sound pretty set on a tank and there's nothing wrong with that but once you find that RDA with the right build there really isn't any comparison....imho.:)

16. Joergl100

Joergl100 Super Member

Hm...it's kinda Heisenberg. My 30mm-tanks perform same smooth hardcore as well as my drippers. It always depends on the setup...AND the expectations![​IMG]

17. 6steelstrings

6steelstrings Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2014
    North Carolina Triad
    After reading all of your replies and after giving it some thought, I think perhaps I could use a decent RDA after all. It will certainly come in handy for testing my new DIY juice recipes. I could use the Mutation I have, but I hate the deck it has. It is not fun to build on. You have made some suggestions for a good RDA and I will be doing some research on all that you have mentioned. Thanks for your help. I knew I could count on you guys.

Rayonati Sloth likes this.