Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
At home. I've got a lot of land so he's all good. Food wise he eats normal stuff and anything he catches in the woods etc mainly rabbits birds and other stuff. I rescued him from the most ironic family that a. literally had no clue what they had and b. had no clue how to look after him. He was just kept outside in a tiny garden and apparently "annoyed the neighbours" because he howled all day and was stressed out. You should have seen him when I got him. He was stick thin and had seriously poor fur and general health. He's much happier now and up to a normal weight for his size. He's definitely the runt though. He's only 7 odd stone which is small really. Anyway, feel like I've high jacked the thread a bit so sorry for that. I just thought I'd ask David if it was his wolf lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing story. Congrats on a great rescue. I can't imagine how terrible it would be for an animal like that to be confined and poorly cared for. Lucky wolf, and lucky you for getting it to work.

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
That's crazy. I don't get it.
You need some more batteries.
I got 18 atm. So it means that I've got enough that are charged to use while I'm charging others and I only usually charge on 1 or 2 days, usually a Sunday. Then I can keep an eye on my gear.

Battery + charging + sleep can = problems and that's not a good look.

Be safe, charge while your awake and in the house!

Problem is, it's not a normal 18650 in there. I'm not really sure what it is. It's on charge at the moment so maybe I should take it off... the battery is kind of like the ones that go in remote control cars and stuff... I don't even know how I would charge it out of the mod?

Reactions: vape-o-matic

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
Smok Engine 400W 4 18650 batteries
View attachment 629973

There's also the 300W RX300, a 320W Smok Marshal, and who knows how many more will hit the market. They all use 4 18650s.

Edit: oops, the Smok Marshal claims to do 320W on only 3 batteries.

That's a beast! I don't really know why you would need so much power though. I vape at about 40w on a single and 60 - 80 on dual. Wouldn't 300 - 400w produce vapour so hot it would melt your lungs? lol

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
That's crazy. I don't get it.
You need some more batteries.
I got 18 atm. So it means that I've got enough that are charged to use while I'm charging others and I only usually charge on 1 or 2 days, usually a Sunday. Then I can keep an eye on my gear.

Battery + charging + sleep can = problems and that's not a good look.

Be safe, charge while your awake and in the house!

You've made me paranoid now. And probably rightly so lol. Would using a timer switch be okay so it's not charging all night? Or should I just stop being an idiot and charge it only in the day? Just reading this back I'm thinking the latter...

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
You've made me paranoid now. And probably rightly so lol. Would using a timer switch be okay so it's not charging all night? Or should I just stop being an idiot and charge it only in the day? Just reading this back I'm thinking the latter...

Well I'm super paranoid. So I have done as the people on here have advised to be safe.
But I don't know what's going on with your battery. Hopefully some veterans like @Bad Ninja could step in maybe? and advise you on how you go about this.
Kinda strange though. What's the mod your using at the moment?

I would say no to the timer and you should be there to make sure everything's fine.

Any chance you could take the cover off and post a pic of what battery you have?

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
Well I'm super paranoid. So I have done as the people on here have advised to be safe.
But I don't know what's going on with your battery. Hopefully some veterans like @Bad Ninja could step in maybe? and advise you on how you go about this.
Kinda strange though. What's the mod your using at the moment?

I would say no to the timer and you should be there to make sure everything's fine.

Any chance you could take the cover off and post a pic of what battery you have?

It's a lavabox dna200 and this is the battery
f77cc6a5f1b2ab5deb3015c78ddd6c1f.jpg
see my problem...

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
see my problem...

Oh right. Ignore me then. I have no idea what that is or how you use it.

Definitely get yourself a spare mod and batts so you can charge while your awake though. :thumb:

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
Oh right. Ignore me then. I have no idea what that is or how you use it.

Definitely get yourself a spare mod and batts so you can charge while your awake though. :thumb:

Yeah that's not a bad idea. It's an amazing mod. Just the battery is really weird. I've got another mod, but the 18650's just creep me out a bit after seeing horror videos on YouTube of just how easily they vent when out of the mod. And as I said before, the only time I've ever had a battery go bang was when it was in an external charger. That's kinda why I got the lavabox because it's all self contained. Main reason was the DNA chip though obviously lol

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
see my problem...

That's a Li ion pack. Essentially the same chemistry as an 18650, but in a different, albeit less rugged "package". Not something you want to poke your pen into. The Lavabox was built with a DNA 200 board specifically made to balance charge those types of Li packs safely. Folks then started offering 18650 battery sleds, and those are charged by the DNA board safely as well. The one difference in that pack is that while it certainly delivers plenty of current, it's capacity is less than equivalent 18650 setups. It is, however, the only kind of "internal" battery setup I'd buy as it can be easily replaced by the user when the day comes that it will no longer hold a charge. Most internal battery mods are not designed that way.

The DNA mods are among the only ones I'll recharge through the usb port as it was designed for this. Other mods that can be recharged by usb may not offer balanced charging if you have more than one battery, and may be of lesser quality and easily damaged. They're really there as a convenience, and a way to apply firmware upgrades. Most manufacturers even include a note that you can charge by usb, but they recommend external charging.

As for overnight charging, I prefer to avoid it. I also rely on more than one mod, so even if batteries are being cycled through a charger, and my DNA which I did put a Li pack in is being usb charged, I'm still fine to keep vaping.

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
That's a Li ion pack. Essentially the same chemistry as an 18650, but in a different, albeit less rugged "package". Not something you want to poke your pen into. The Lavabox was built with a DNA 200 board specifically made to balance charge those types of Li packs safely. Folks then started offering 18650 battery sleds, and those are charged by the DNA board safely as well. The one difference in that pack is that while it certainly delivers plenty of current, it's capacity is less than equivalent 18650 setups. It is, however, the only kind of "internal" battery setup I'd buy as it can be easily replaced by the user when the day comes that it will no longer hold a charge. Most internal battery mods are not designed that way.

The DNA mods are among the only ones I'll recharge through the usb port as it was designed for this. Other mods that can be recharged by usb may not offer balanced charging if you have more than one battery, and may be of lesser quality and easily damaged. They're really there as a convenience, and a way to apply firmware upgrades. Most manufacturers even include a note that you can charge by usb, but they recommend external charging.

As for overnight charging, I prefer to avoid it. I also rely on more than one mod, so even if batteries are being cycled through a charger, and my DNA which I did put a Li pack in is being usb charged, I'm still fine to keep vaping.

Okay cool good info. So fine to charge via USB just not overnight.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Okay cool good info. So fine to charge via USB just not overnight.

Probably fine overnight, but I prefer while I'm awake as a just in case. That doesn't necessarily mean I need to be sitting right next to it. I'll go about whatever else I'm doing. But if the exceedingly rare "energetic release of energy" from thermal runaway should occur, I'd rather not have to jump up from sleep to deal with it. That pack is no more or less safe than an 18650, which if used properly are quite safe. Same applies, and you are using a board made specifically with the intent of handling those packs safely during charging.

As for external charging of 18650s, I have no big worries either. If a battery does decide to lose its mind on you, better in a $20 replaceable charger than an expensive mod close to your face. I would keep the charger on a sorta nonflammable surface during charging like a counter instead of a carpeted floor. Oh, and out of wolf reach too. If they're anything like my dogs, they'll find a way to turn anything into a new play toy. My last pup when teething ate 6 cellphones (seriously) and did not leave all the parts on the ground for me to pick up. :facepalm: I never looked that close to be sure they all came out of him, but I figure they did.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
@Rwanda

Good info. I don't have anything like that so cannot comment.
I am a terrible riser at the best of times and I dread to think how I would deal with a bad battery event waking me up from sleep.

Just get something else to keep you vaping while you charge.

What happened with the 18650 in the external charger?

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC

You could charge it overnight in the garage on a metal surface away from anything that could burn. The charger should shut off when the batteries are charged but the timers not a bad idea either. I think the best solution is to either have a charger and extra batteries or several mods and charge one during the day. I do that on my porcelain bathroom countertop.

Last edited:

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
@Rwanda

Good info. I don't have anything like that so cannot comment.
I am a terrible riser at the best of times and I dread to think how I would deal with a bad battery event waking me up from sleep.

Just get something else to keep you vaping while you charge.

What happened with the 18650 in the external charger?

The 18650 just exploded in the charger. It wiped out the charger and the battery next to it. lol that's what you get for scrimping on a charger I guess. It did seem to charge the batteries incredibly fast!

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
Probably fine overnight, but I prefer while I'm awake as a just in case. That doesn't necessarily mean I need to be sitting right next to it. I'll go about whatever else I'm doing. But if the exceedingly rare "energetic release of energy" from thermal runaway should occur, I'd rather not have to jump up from sleep to deal with it. That pack is no more or less safe than an 18650, which if used properly are quite safe. Same applies, and you are using a board made specifically with the intent of handling those packs safely during charging.

As for external charging of 18650s, I have no big worries either. If a battery does decide to lose its mind on you, better in a $20 replaceable charger than an expensive mod close to your face. I would keep the charger on a sorta nonflammable surface during charging like a counter instead of a carpeted floor. Oh, and out of wolf reach too. If they're anything like my dogs, they'll find a way to turn anything into a new play toy. My last pup when teething ate 6 cellphones (seriously) and did not leave all the parts on the ground for me to pick up. :facepalm: I never looked that close to be sure they all came out of him, but I figure they did.

That's very true! I think the real problem here is the fact I can't NOT use it for a couple of hours in the day... I meant to stop smoking, not start chain vaping. Lol

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
The 18650 just exploded in the charger. It wiped out the charger and the battery next to it. lol that's what you get for scrimping on a charger I guess. It did seem to charge the batteries incredibly fast!

Oh!
Did you see the explosion, was it big? Or just gas spewing?

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives

Care to throw in some details of the charger and which type of 18650's?

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread