Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
...if I've already got a regulated box mod? Or can I just use the box mod to check ohms, and then move the rda to a tube mech, for example, once I've verified the reading?

I have a DNA40 device, and so it doesn't check the ohms until I tap the fire button. Is there any danger of something going wrong when I do so? Worst-case, the atty has a short, and the dna can detect this and simply won't fire, is that right? Or else its "soft limiting" feature will kick in and still fire, but keep the amp load within safe limits? And then either way, I'll get a reading on the atty and can know if it's safe to put on the mech.

...is all that correct, or do I still need a dedicated ohm-meter/multimeter?

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I say yes, get an ohm meter. For added safety, I don't put anything, on any mod, w/o checking first with an ohm meter. Overly cautious? Maybe, but better safe than sorry.

Same here. I do have some attys that won't read on my ohm meter due to short 510s or recessed positive pins like my Erlkonigins. I have put them on regulated mods to check, but I really should use my DMM.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
How do you know the accuracy at which your MOD is measuring if you don't have a meter to check it. If you rely on the mods meter how then do you go about diagnosing, with confidence. Problems with the mod?
Agreed. I was having trouble with my Vamo. Got an ohm meter, and discovered that the ohm readings on the vamo were way off.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Agreed. I was having trouble with my Vamo. Got an ohm meter, and discovered that the ohm readings on the vamo were way off.
If the reading don't match you might need to use a third meter to determine, where and which device is in error, or how much EACH device is in error.

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
If the reading don't match you might need to use a third meter to determine, where and which device is in error, or how much EACH device is in error.
When I removed the ego to ego/510 from the stripped threads, the readings are the same. I just have to hold the atty on to measure.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Could someone please suggest a source for a reliable ohm meter at a good price?
Hi NoFumus.

Lightning vapes, $15: Cartomizer and Atomizer Ohm Meter (Adapter separate add-on. Check the | Lightning Vapes

Discount Vapers, $9: Eleaf LED Digital Ohmmeter and Voltmeter (Box Version)

101 vape, $15: Ohms Meter - 101 Vape

Eciggity, $13: Eleaf Digital Ohmmeter & Voltmeter - Eciggity

I've used all these vendors in the past and am happy with their service. Quite honestly, all of these small "black box" ohm testers are pretty much the same.

Reactions: NoFumus

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
I always just use my box mod. I already know my batteries are safe for anything except the most extreme coils, or a faulty build. I know roughly what builds will get me for resistance, so I feel perfectly safe putting it on a mod and tapping the fire button for a reading. I've never owned an actually ohm meter for atomizers. When I first started with mech mods, I always just used a regular electricians multi meter to check. Not for a long time though. Regulated mods work fine for me.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Thank you @K_Tech. I don't yet have much experiences with vendors for hardware & supplies, but now I have some places to look.
You're welcome. Honestly, I've used quite a few of the vendors on our Forum Vendors page - link HERE and I've been really satisfied with them.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I like mods that read n.nn in the display. My old Provari V2 only reads 2.2. Most newer mods have changed to 3 digit displays.

I carried around high end Fluke and Simpson multimeters for four decades in my job. I have several around the house these days in convenient places where I'm likely to need one. As 93gc40 said, we all need at least two if only to verify our readings are similar.

Most older mods read ohms one digit to the right of the decimal. If you have a meter that reads two digits past the decimal that gives you more insight as to the actual value of your coil. If my coil reads 1.8 ohms on a single digit meter it might read as high as 1.84 on a meter with more accuracy, or it might be somewhere between 1.76 and 1.84. Once it hits 1.76 it's rounded to 1.8 on a 2 digit meter and stays there until it changes to 1.85, where the rounding algorithm changes it to 1.9 ohms . I'm a stickler for knowing the details. If it's changing as much as an ohm and my vape is changing, I want to know why.

That said, can we really tell the difference if it's 1.76 ohms or 1.84 ohms when we vape? Maybe, maybe not, but I like it when my Innnokin Cool Fire 4 reads 1.84 ohms and so does my 510 thread ecig meter. I know my resistance is solid and not varying in connectivity.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Well it's been in "restocking" limbo for two weeks but FastTech finally shipped my ohm reader ("little black box") this morning. Maybe I'll have it in my hands in another two weeks. I've had the Magma for about a week and been using it only on my rDNA with no issues. Haven't touched the mech yet except to put it on without a battery in and see how it looked (pretty sexy, by the way, with the brass AFC ring and matching steel-brass-steel ringed drip tip) -- I want to make sure I have dotted my i's and crossed all my t's before I put a potential pipe-bomb to my face. I will wait until the ohm reader gets here and make sure it and the rDNA agree on the reading before I fire it.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Well it's been in "restocking" limbo for two weeks but FastTech finally shipped my ohm reader ("little black box") this morning. Maybe I'll have it in my hands in another two weeks. I've had the Magma for about a week and been using it only on my rDNA with no issues. Haven't touched the mech yet except to put it on without a battery in and see how it looked (pretty sexy, by the way, with the brass AFC ring and matching steel-brass-steel ringed drip tip) -- I want to make sure I have dotted my i's and crossed all my t's before I put a potential pipe-bomb to my face. I will wait until the ohm reader gets here and make sure it and the rDNA agree on the reading before I fire it.

Why not use the mech.... You have a meter on the regulated mod.. Go ahead and use the meter to build for the mech..

Yes, you should have 2 meters. BUT, it is not a go no go proposition. IMO, if you build to a coil calc, ie Steamengine. Or verify your build with Ohms laws. And those calculators match what your meters says. Vape away. The secondary meters are for backup and verification. I have about 10 VOM Meters. I use, my little black box 510 meter ONLY most of the time. for building coils, and about once a month to CHECK my black box. Now I do use a VOM to check voltage of my batts. For me vape quality drops out at about 3.8 volts.. BUT, I vape the battery down to 3.6, so since on a mech, When I feel the drop I will check volts, to see where I at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread