1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Do more smokers switch to ecigs, or begin smoking and vaping?

Discussion in 'Vapor4Life' started by AudreySchroder, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. AudreySchroder

AudreySchroder Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

2. K9Luvr

K9Luvr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

When I first started vaping, I had a mental block that told me I needed an analog after dinner, even tho my PV had satisfied me all day. I would vape all day, then after dinner I would go outside and take a few puffs. Tasted awful. Put the analog out, went back in the house and caped the rest of the evening. Did that for 4 days, after that, never had an analog again. Just tasted too nasty!

3. patkin

patkin Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I was "dual" for about a year. During that time I became pretty sure I wasn't addicted to nic but was mentally obsessed and dependent on the act of smoking or possibly addicted to chemicals in the smokes. When I dropped to 2 or 3 smokes a day, detox set in and it was so awful I bumped them back up to 5 or 6 for a while. Smoking or not smoking should never be turned into a moral issue... I mean ANTZ do that. I really, really, hate when I see that. We're here to help each other, among other things, and not judge each other. Many of us, as smokers, have dealt with harsh judgments and are recovering, to one degree or another, from not only smoking but the psychological and emotional damage done to us by those shaming and ostracizing. One's goals should be all that matters and they won't be the same for everyone. My health and economics mattered to me. I've reached the goals I set for myself. So, if I appear to be on a soap box here its, hopefully, for the eyes of new comers who may have gotten the impression they have to hide here the way they've had to elsewhere while smoking. We're here to help, not hinder.

4. Mary Kay

Mary Kay ECF Guru ECF Veteran

E-cigs worked for me within a week. I was letting myself have one cigarette after dinner...then I forgot! I believe the only way to get off analogs is to taper off and then quit. If you can be smokeless for a couple of days with the help of E-cigs., you may be able to win the battle.

5. StarsAndBars

StarsAndBars Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Gave up cigs the day I finally got a decent ecig. Wasn't the least bit difficult to me

6. Mary Kay

Stars and Bars, how long did you smoke, if you don't mind me asking? I smoked for 37 years..it took me about 4 days to switch. I haven't dared touch an analog since!

7. dedi

dedi Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I got a V4L kit over 4 yrs ago after smoking for over 38 yrs. Stopped smoking within just a few days like MK :)

8. StarsAndBars

StarsAndBars Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Don't mind at all. I smoked for a little over 10 years.

9. Morandir835

Morandir835 Idiot Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I switched from one or the other in my early days Ms. Audrey. First 2 kits would vape only, until the cravings got bad enough, then went back to smoking and restarted all over again.... Wasn't until my kit V4L arrived that I finally stopped smoking and only vaped... Haven't picked up a cigarette since, know my limits. I applaud those that can have one or two and go right back to vaping.... I will always be a recovering smoker. One puff will put me right back on to a 3 pack a day habit....

10. MorpheusPA

MorpheusPA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I was dual for a while, but from day 1 it was already majority vaping. Still, it took about 3 months to completely switch over--even though by the end of the first month it was 95% vaping, 5% cigarette.

11. AudreySchroder

Morandir - wow, even after all this time I'm surprised that one puff would get you hooked on real cigs again. That's awful. How does the smoke smell bother you? Do you like it or does it make you want to gag?

12. CabinetGuyScott

CabinetGuyScott Super Member ECF Veteran

I did the dual use at first, primarily because that's what I intended to do.

My first kit was to satisfy my curiosity, and hopefully save a few $$ along the way.

Over the course of the next 7-10 days, I was reaching for the pv more & more, until one day I'd only had 1/2 a cigarette.

It dawned on me that was a 'just-because' cigarette, and I was likely to be ready to try something I had never intended to do: stop smoking! ;) ;)

I kept my cigarette supply right where they always hung-out, and only caught myself reaching that direction a few times - more of a physical habit than a preference/crave.

The other thing was I didn't tell anyone! This was going to be my own little experiment, and if it didn't work out, it was going to be between just me, myself & I (a nice little trio ;))

It took about 2 weeks off tobacco burners until I I consciously recognized it would be okay to start thinking of myself as an ex-smoker.

That's when I told my saint-like wife that it looked like I'd quit smoking!

Her response: "Oh, I hadn't really noticed"

Yeah, a little less time in the workshop and more time with her!

Anyways, I am not fearful of a risk of relapse or feel any attraction to try a t-burner. The smell is okay, but no special sense fondness.

I totally embrace the concept of count the cigarettes you DON'T smoke, and know that when the time & feeling is right for you, is the precisely perfect time for you to make the switch.

13. Mary Kay

Audrey, a lot of us know how easy it would be to start smoking again! I like the smell of a cigar but not cigarettes. The smell of a person who has just had a cigarette is awful! I liken it to wine..it smells and tastes good, but the next day the smell is sickening on the dirty wineglasses!

14. AudreySchroder

Mary Kay - I like your analogy to wine. I smoked for about 6 years. Now I cannot stand the smell, it makes me sick to my stomach. I know there's no way I could go back. Maybe it depends on how long someone has been smoking.

15. Morandir835

Morandir835 Idiot Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Doesn't bother me at all Ms. Audrey... Sadly there were times when I was trying to quit, and very rarely times now when the cravings hit really hard, that I'll go stand by someone smoking a Newport just to breathe in the second hand smoke...

16. AudreySchroder

Wow, that's very bizarre to me. But I like the smell of gasoline... LOL.

17. tejas

tejas Full Member

I smoked for 41 years. The day I started vaping, I had a pack and a half of ciggies setting on the desk. I left them there, and didn't touch them for 3 or 4 days. Then I decided I wanted one, lit it up, and was disgusted by how horrible it tasted. Those couple of puffs is all I've had of analogs since I started vaping 18 months ago. I can't fathom going back...

18. Mary Kay

Gas Audrey? LOL But then I love the smell of fireworks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.