Do Not Dry Fire Atomizers to "Clean" Them!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I tend to use 5 or 6 Attys/Filler-Less Cartos in Rotation.

I use one rinsing and Dentek-ing at every Refill until it needs to be Dry Bmrned. Then I put it in a Shot Glass and move on to another Attys/Filler-Less Carto.

When the Shot Glass gets to the point where I can't put anymore in, or I get tired of looking at it, I do a Vingar Soak of All the Attys/Filler-Less Cartos, Rinse and the Complete Dry by wedging them in the Grille of a Floor Fan.

When there all Completely Dry, I do a Dry Burn Session while I'm watching TV. Dry Burning while the Dallas Cowboys are being Beat is a Great Time. Then I rinse them out again and Wedge them back into the Fan.

Now I have 5 or 6 Ready to Go Attys/Filler-Less Cartos and the Cycle repeats.

My favorite team is any team playing Dallas, and everything is much more fun when they are losing.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have read your thread
No credit to me, that is Highping's thread.
:)

I was always led to believe that you rinse out the atty, then blow through it, then dry-burn. In my mind, "blow through it" means there is no water left in the atty, therefore, the atty is dry.
When you blow through it you get a lot of the water out, but definitely not all of it.

When you start the dry burn, you are actually spending the first minute or so drying the last of the water.
The coil won't even turn orange until the water is pretty much gone.

And THAT is when you actually start doing the real dry burn.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No credit to me, that is Highping's thread.

What I meant was Since I haven't read the Thread I can say if I agree or Disagree with it.

Seems like there is Confusion as to Terms and Techniques of Dry Burning. I didn't want to say I agreed with a Thread that might be the Direct Opposite to what I just posted.

But I Do Agree 100% with doing a Rinse After a person does a Dry Burn.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I don't know, I may be ignorant here, but I have no desire to soak anything "electronic" in liquid, be it alcohol or anything else.............

hmmm, you may have to trust the experience here :) I happen to use a denture tablet in distilled water to clean mine.

................ Seeing me smoke a real cigarette didn't really bother her... But seeing me vape disturbs her.

:(

an advantage to being old...I don't care at all what others think lol

I've been mostly a carto guy but ive been looking into attys since i have started to DIY juices mainly for flavor testing so i dont waste good cartos on bad juice flavors but have been hesitant becausse of not knowing how to clean one out and it looks like ive got some good ideas now thanks!!

I vape unflavored to clean the atty of an old flavor

How often does everyone do the cleaning and or dry burn? Do you wait for ill effects or be proactive and clean before ill effects?

I only clean my attys (using the denture tablet, I have never dry burned) when they aren't working well. I use them (3 in rotation) for several months before that happens. mine don't seem to get real gunked up, but maybe it is because I almost never vape dark liquids (?)

Figgy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
California
Ultrasonic with vodka. NOTHING better than this.

This is what I've been doing and it's working nicely. I haven't been at this all that long, though. My current preference is for Mini Vivi Novas. I do find that the head still smells a bit of juice sometimes after a run. I use VG juices, so that might have something to do with it. But I just take the head and pop it in a little bath of vodka and set it aside for a few hours, then rinse well and let air dry for a few hours more or overnight.

I just keep extra heads on hand, so if I want to use that tank, I don't have to wait for the head to be ready. The other components dry very quickly, but those wicks take awhile.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
or you can rinse and dry burn and be done in 3-5 minutes.

if you like doing it the way you're doing it, more power to you, but one of my vivi nova heads is about 2 months old of daily use, most of it as my primary device, and is still going strong. it was soaked once or twice before i knew how well dry burning works…then dry burned every few days for about 6 weeks.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
or you can rinse and dry burn and be done in 3-5 minutes.

if you like doing it the way you're doing it, more power to you, but one of my vivi nova heads is about 2 months old of daily use, most of it as my primary device, and is still going strong. it was soaked once or twice before i knew how well dry burning works…then dry burned every few days for about 6 weeks.

Wow... Every few days for about 6 Weeks.

What is that like 12 or 15 Dry Burns?

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Something like that. It's on day 56 of use, and it took about a week or 2 for me to learn how to dry burn it and get the guts to try it…so it's actually probably more like 20. I spent the first couple days trying–desperately–to get a good vape out of it (it was really inconsistent right out of the box before being cleaned) and hoping for new cartomizers to come in. By the time they did, I'd sorted out the issues, and it took a long time to even bother punching them and putting them in a tank……then they worked about as well but died (flooding) within 2-3 days each.

Since then, I've dry-bruned another 3 vivi novas straight out of the box (and every few days) as well as a mini……the Atty I've gotten since then (which gets dry burned several times a day when I use it……only use it to try juices), and the atties I have left over from before that. My 510H has probably been dry burned 25 or 30 times in the time I've had it (only a few weeks) and it too performs just like it did after the first cleaning (straight out of the box).

I know there are ways to do it wrong. If you just hold the button and wait for the coil to start glowing, you could pop it or scorch the wick (or anything else that's in there)……and I usually turn my twist down to a little under 4V when I do it to give myself a little screw-up room. But, it seems like getting the rhythm of pulsing & blowing on the coil right, it really does just burn the gunk that's stuck on the coil, let it turn to ash, and then it's just a rinse or a blow (giggity) away from a clean coil that performs like it just broke in.

In the process of learning to do it right, you probably will pop a coil. I popped a vivi nova head (just not the first one I started doing it with) a while ago because I wasn't paying enough attention. But I've only done it once.

You can't dry burn cotton wicks, and you can't dry burn cartomizers……but honestly, it's so quick to do (using silica or, I assume, SS wicks) that I probably just won't bother ever cleaning cartomizers or cotton wicks……if I ever bother to use them.

Here's a good post on r/ecr about dry burning.

Last edited:

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Something like that. It's on day 56 of use, and it took about a week or 2 for me to learn how to dry burn it and get the guts to try it…so it's actually probably more like 20. I spent the first couple days trying–desperately–to get a good vape out of it (it was really inconsistent right out of the box before being cleaned) and hoping for new cartomizers to come in. By the time they did, I'd sorted out the issues, and it took a long time to even bother punching them and putting them in a tank……then they worked about as well but died (flooding) within 2-3 days each.

Since then, I've dry-bruned another 3 vivi novas straight out of the box (and every few days) as well as a mini……the Atty I've gotten since then (which gets dry burned several times a day when I use it……only use it to try juices), and the atties I have left over from before that. My 510H has probably been dry burned 25 or 30 times in the time I've had it (only a few weeks) and it too performs just like it did after the first cleaning (straight out of the box).

I know there are ways to do it wrong. If you just hold the button and wait for the coil to start glowing, you could pop it or scorch the wick (or anything else that's in there)……and I usually turn my twist down to a little under 4V when I do it to give myself a little screw-up room. But, it seems like getting the rhythm of pulsing & blowing on the coil right, it really does just burn the gunk that's stuck on the coil, let it turn to ash, and then it's just a rinse or a blow (giggity) away from a clean coil that performs like it just broke in.

In the process of learning to do it right, you probably will pop a coil. I popped a vivi nova head (just not the first one I started doing it with) a while ago because I wasn't paying enough attention. But I've only done it once.

You can't dry burn cotton wicks, and you can't dry burn cartomizers……but honestly, it's so quick to do (using silica or, I assume, SS wicks) that I probably just won't bother ever cleaning cartomizers or cotton wicks……if I ever bother to use them.

Excellent response! Including the giggity ;)
This is a thorough explanation. I agree about the tutorials not discussing that there should be moisture in the atty to start with. When I first started dry burning my Vivi Nova tank heads, I didn't know they had to be wet first, and I trashed a few before someone graciously sent me a PM with the explanation.

I would like to add that sometimes after dry burning a Vivi head, I still have an undesirable smokey burnt taste. In that case, I rinse it again and either dry it out and vape it as is, or I dry burn it again and use it immediately. Both methods work well.

s14sher

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2011
Oklahoma

I get good life out of my heads and I always dry burn. I use the same method you do, except I disassemble my vivi nova and let it soak in warm water for 15 minutes or so before the dry burn. Then, I put a couple of drops of juice on the coil itself and one or two drops on the wicks and put it all back together. I've yet to have a head go out and some are two or three months old (I use them in rotation).

Like you said, whatever works for someone. As long as you're happy, there really is no wrong way.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I dry burn as well. 3 seconds and wait 5 seconds, 3 times. This after a good wash under a luke-warm faucet.
I'm up to 5 weeks on the original 2.4 heads with no burnt taste. I have noticed that it takes a little longer to wash out the darker colored juices after a few tanks.

When I dry burn, I also use this method with one big change: I do not count how many times I do the burn. I just burn until the coil glows red all the way across. It might take 1, it might take 10. But until those coils glow, it isn't clean. I also wait about 10 seconds between burns to ensure the coil has cooled. You don't want it white hot, just a nice glowing red.

I don't do this on a regular schedule either, I can taste when it isn't giving me a nice clean vape. Again, this depends upon the juice. Some juices will go through a few tanks, others gunk up quicker need it more frequently. I know what they taste like clean and that is the taste I like. I am pretty picky about it too, any hint of a change and I finish the tank and clean it as the next tankful isn't going to get any better and why vape if it doesn't taste right?

I don't get caught up on "how many" or "how often" as there are too many variables. It's all about the vape! I have yet to pop a coil. And if I do, I won't cry too hard - those replacement heads are very cheap when they last weeks and weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread