Status
Not open for further replies.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
martha: if you mean innovapor, then no, they are a reputable supplier. 'innovape' doesn't return any results on google except this post and "did you mean...innovapor", so that's probably what you are talking about.

In general people should be skeptical of ANYTHING 'free' if a credit card number is required to get said 'free' product.
As a previous poster mentioned, this does not just apply to the ecig world. Anytime, something is said to be free, but you HAVE to pay for S&H with a credit card, you should avoid it. There is usually a 'catch' with these things. Either trial periods that expire, or recurring shipments and charges are almost always involved.

On another note:
Some have mentioned the mall kiosks. I would not lump these into the same 'scams' category that I am referring to in the OP.
The mall kiosks are way overpriced, but they are not trying to 'pull a fast one'. To me, being overpriced does not make a business "shady" or "scammy"...just expensive.
Most of these kiosk operations are legitimate retailers and will take care of their customers. I have read many stories about how customers have had problems with devices purchased at a kiosk, and the operators were very willing to make refunds and/or exchanges. But the main reason I don't consider them a "scam" is that you are not going to get "surprise charges" when dealing with a kiosk.

BTW: Welcome to the forum Bianca!!

Last edited:

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
This is exactly why if I ever order something from online I try to use a prepaid card rather than my own credit card. Just so I have that sense of security of knowing they can try to charge me all they want but it still wont affect me.:evil:

Now I'm not saying go get those free trials. Just saying that's what I do if I order from online.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
  • Deleted by oldsoldier
  • Reason: duplicate post

Clem68W

Dec 29, 2009
Hawaii
I had an experience that I laid out in another post, and it's more or less what the original poster outlined, so I won't go into the details again. What I will add, if it hasn't already been mentioned, is the way I got the company in question to not charge my card, refund the initial fee and unsubscribe me from their service. It might seem obvious, even if it is tedious.

First off, don't take "no" for an answer. You will probably have to call their call center more than once. It took five calls in my case. They will probably be reading off of a script. They've heard your complaints before. Two times, operators hung up, and once, the transfer simply dropped the line. They will offer you appeasements. One operator offered a free month's refills, or to negate the price of the initial kit while retaining the subscription fee. I was finally offered half my money back in an attempt to placate me. Absolute refusal to accept any of these half-steps was my only response. You have to be perfectly clear about that, or they'll take it as submission. My wife was calling them before I got home that day and "bless-her-heart," she was not being firm enough.

Side-note: Be polite. My wife was hung up on most likely because she was fuming at them.

Secondly, ask to speak to their supervisor. This might cause some confusion (the first guy I talked to didn't seem to know who his boss was, nyuck yuck yuck). Keep asking. If you can't get higher up the food chain, they will have to start dealing with you more directly.

Third, don't bother making threats, simply state what you will do if they don't do what you want. I said I was going to call my credit card company, I was going to call the better business bureau, and that I would rather close out my line of credit than let them charge another dime. I wasn't lying.

Finally, make sure you get them to clearly state what they are going to do for you. I wasn't satisfied until I made the guy on the other end of the line tell me his name, and what he was going to do (twice). If you get off the phone and there's any doubt in your mind, call them again.

I know it isn't exactly ingenious, but it worked, and I hope if you're the victim of one of these scams it can work out for you, too.

Cubilas

Jan 26, 2010
USA
We've all read the stories here and on the other forums where folks find the forums and all this information AFTER making a purchase.

I'm one of those folks. I fell for the Kn*ghtSt*cks offer, their Terms of Service changes after you have placed the order. Also, after ordering these, 9 days in to my '10 day free trial' I received a pack of Roya1 B1ues instead. Opened them, battery wouldn't charge & carts were leaking..? 8-o Gross! After an extreme wait on hold and an uncomfortable talk with a rep, I was able to cancel my monthly enrollment as well as skate the $99 they were charging once the trial is up. I promptly sealed & shipped this back to the supplier.

After all is said and done, I am currently the happy owner of a E-Cigarette E8.

Thanks for the warnings and great advice from everyone here. I consider this forum site the #1 resource for new and experienced users!:thumbs:

Fumes

Jan 29, 2010
Florida
Holy smokes. I found out about these e-cigs a month ago .... didnt like the ads or sites. Yesterday I was checking around and stumbled in here. I am flabbergasted. SO may companies, so many models and types, Im LOST.:(
We are not supposed to mention any companies but yet ppl are doing that in this thread. And Im glad they are. How are we noobies supposed to find out who is selling the best for the least. :confused: Ive been reading this forum but Im exhausted. Help8-o Maybe someone can email or tell me where to go in this forum. Its too bad we cant just go into Walmart and try a whole bunch of these ecigs.

Thanks to all who make this forum work.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Fumes...Welcome to the forum!
Firstly, I stated in my original post to not mention any companies in this thread. Because I didn't want to have a bunch of people start bashing any particular company by name. That can lead to a situation where the thread would need to be closed/removed. The 'don't mention names' statement really only applies to this thread (for that reason).

In other threads, you can feel free to inquire about particular companies and seek others' experiences and opinions of them. In general though, any company listed in the suppliers section of this forum is 'safe' to deal with. So all you really need to figure out is which model to start with.
A good way to get started is to read over this...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...strated-guide-e-cigs-parts-1-through-6-a.html

Then go ask some questions in the new users area.

trailblazer6

A.K.A. Igor the Vapaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Lakewood , NJ
www.bikerornot.com
I fell for the free trial on a 18 MM. Lucky for me I was able to cancel the automatic monthly shipment of cartomizers. I'll have to keep an eye on my CC statements to make sure the company don't re bill. On the plus side to this I found vaping to be a much better alternative to smoking. And have ordered my 510 from a reputable dealer through ecf. Thank You to all the members and staff of ecf. I am now , better informed.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
ditto Fumes :)
... one of my favorite quotes says, "always remember, the best things in life are not things".

And technically, if you consider that most spend less on vaping than they did on smoking, it actually works out to go beyond free to vape, and turns into free money just for being a vaper (instead of a smoker) ;)

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
[...]
Firstly, I stated in my original post to not mention any companies in this thread. Because I didn't want to have a bunch of people start bashing any particular company by name. That can lead to a situation where the thread would need to be closed/removed[...]

In other threads, you can feel free to inquire about particular companies and seek others' experiences and opinions of them[...]

That had me confused, because this isn't clear in the original post. It reads like you were saying that naming names is against forum rules, when it is not. Maybe you could edit this into the original post, since it's a sticky?

I know you say not to name any names but if I could just post this website as an example I found.

https://www.smokeassist.com/

On the radio it says you can smoke for free but if you read into it...
You get the Smoke Assist E-Cigarette for free, all you pay today is for the 20 Cartridges (a full month supply) for just $69.95 +$9.95 S&H. That is only $3.49 per cartridge! That is a huge saving over regular cost of Tobacco Cigarettes. To help ensure your success, we will continue to send you replacement cartridges each month, you can cancel at anytime by calling our Customer Service.

80 dollars for 20 carts, automatically charged every month. They never mention anything like that on their radio advertisement.

If you do a search you will also find a good amount of fake positive reviews which is huge with e-cigarettes...even on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread