Status
Not open for further replies.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
That had me confused, because this isn't clear in the original post. It reads like you were saying that naming names is against forum rules, when it is not. Maybe you could edit this into the original post, since it's a sticky?

I see your point quasi. I wish I could edit that note to be more clear (or just take it out). Unfortunately I can no longer edit the post (not sure why that edit button expires).
It is definitely not against the rules of the forum to mention company names. The only reason I put that in the OP was because I was expecting that anyone mentioning the name of one of these companies was not exactly going to be giving a raving review. More likely they would be bashing it. Bashing reviews can sometimes get out of hand. But if that happens, I guess it could be dealt with on a post-by-post basis.

So..
If anyone want's to mention the name of companies you have heard advertising "free-trial" offers, feel free to do so. And we'll just see how it goes.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
I know you say not to name any names but if I could just post this website as an example I found.

https://www.smokeassist.com/

On the radio it says you can smoke for free but if you read into it...

80 dollars for 20 carts, automatically charged every month. They never mention anything like that on their radio advertisement.

If you do a search you will also find a good amount of fake positive reviews which is huge with e-cigarettes...even on this forum.

Those prices and claims are staggering. $80 for 20 carts8-o And the worst part is that even at 80 a month, you are not going to have enough supplies. 20 of those carts are going to get me 4-5 days tops. No...wait... they are 0 nic, so I'm probably going to suck through all 20 the first day trying to get something from it.
Ugg. I hate when profit mongers get hold of something good and turn it into something bad :rolleyes:

BTW: these are two that I have heard advertising on the radio...
http://www.smokeassist.com/
and
http://www.smokeassassin.com/

Wow do those look like the same company or what?

Fumes

Jan 29, 2010
Florida
Howdy SJ and all,

I know Im just a neophyte here ...., I suggest we allow us all to edit our posts for at least 15min. Many ning sites do that. It does help. As a matter of fact, did you ever send off an email and a few seconds later realize you make a mistake .... its too late. Google mail has the answer. You can adjust settings to bring back the mail once its sent. Unfortunately for a max of 10sec. .... its better than everyting. (oops, I meant to say nothing, but I couldnt go back to edit this post, sorry)

Still Fumin'
:)

BubbleBobble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2010
Louisiana, USA
What a sad sad thing. The day I got my e-cig, I showed my friend and they said they had just heard about it on the radio. Probably one of those "scammers". I'm in New Orleans by the way. It's sad that something so good now has the potential to get a bad rap because of "greed". This is a device that can help a lot of people. Save lives even, and people are trying to profit off of someone's ignorance. Makes me sick.

That's why I try to give the full run down of the e-cig to anyone I meet that has questions about them. We all have to try and spread the positive word.

I really wish there was sometime more we could do to "flag" these unethical sites. They don't deserve ANY business. Grrrrrr :mad:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I had an experience that I laid out in another post, and it's more or less what the original poster outlined, so I won't go into the details again. What I will add, if it hasn't already been mentioned, is the way I got the company in question to not charge my card, refund the initial fee and unsubscribe me from their service. It might seem obvious, even if it is tedious.

First off, don't take "no" for an answer. You will probably have to call their call center more than once. It took five calls in my case. They will probably be reading off of a script. They've heard your complaints before. Two times, operators hung up, and once, the transfer simply dropped the line. They will offer you appeasements. One operator offered a free month's refills, or to negate the price of the initial kit while retaining the subscription fee. I was finally offered half my money back in an attempt to placate me. Absolute refusal to accept any of these half-steps was my only response. You have to be perfectly clear about that, or they'll take it as submission. My wife was calling them before I got home that day and "bless-her-heart," she was not being firm enough.

Side-note: Be polite. My wife was hung up on most likely because she was fuming at them.

Secondly, ask to speak to their supervisor. This might cause some confusion (the first guy I talked to didn't seem to know who his boss was, nyuck yuck yuck). Keep asking. If you can't get higher up the food chain, they will have to start dealing with you more directly.

Third, don't bother making threats, simply state what you will do if they don't do what you want. I said I was going to call my credit card company, I was going to call the better business bureau, and that I would rather close out my line of credit than let them charge another dime. I wasn't lying.

Finally, make sure you get them to clearly state what they are going to do for you. I wasn't satisfied until I made the guy on the other end of the line tell me his name, and what he was going to do (twice). If you get off the phone and there's any doubt in your mind, call them again.

I know it isn't exactly ingenious, but it worked, and I hope if you're the victim of one of these scams it can work out for you, too.
This is the proper way to handle such situations, and I fully endorse this post.

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I was successful in killing off the auto refill program via email, but realize it doesn't always work. I reference every number from the packing list they would send with the carts, and give every piece of information I originally gave them except the credit card number. The first email caused them to reduce the number of cartridges by half, but they kept coming (the first time they sent half, I thought they were prorating program termination). After sending another email requesting acknowledgment of message receipt and confirmation of program termination, they finally complied. If taking this approach, I also recommend you include the statement: "Please remove me from all mailing lists, and do not send any other promotional materials or products to me ever again. If you do not comply, I will be contacting my credit card company to take action against your continued refusal to terminate my participation in this program." :evil:

karmakayti

Feb 3, 2010
Minnesota
I would like to say that yesterday I was listening to the radio and almost fell into the scam of a certain company. I researched it as soon as a got home last night and thanks to this and other websites called and cancelled today. I had no issues, but it had been less than 24 hours since I placed my order.
THANK YOU!
Now I just have to figure out what kind to buy! :confused:

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I would like to say that yesterday I was listening to the radio and almost fell into the scam of a certain company. I researched it as soon as a got home last night and thanks to this and other websites called and cancelled today. I had no issues, but it had been less than 24 hours since I placed my order.
THANK YOU!
Now I just have to figure out what kind to buy! :confused:

I recommend Vapor King from Vapor4Life - I have no association with them, but am a very satisfied customer. There are of course many different opinions and options, spending too much time reading the spectrum of comments will drive you mad. I spent about 4 weeks studying this forum before deciding on the VK aka KR808. My guess is you won't regret any of the major options discussed on the board, start cheap (around $100), then give yourself time to assess on your own. Everybody is different, and keep in mind $100 really isn't much considering its about 14 packs of cigs, and the probability of success to kick the cig habit is extremely high (see poll page).

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
Howdy SJ and all,

I know Im just a neophyte here ...., I suggest we allow us all to edit our posts for at least 15min. Many ning sites do that. It does help. As a matter of fact, did you ever send off an email and a few seconds later realize you make a mistake .... its too late. Google mail has the answer. You can adjust settings to bring back the mail once its sent. Unfortunately for a max of 10sec. .... its better than everyting. (oops, I meant to say nothing, but I couldnt go back to edit this post, sorry)

Still Fumin'

you can edit your posts for, I believe, about 48 hours after making them. If I remember correctly though this is one of the things that you have to have a certain number of posts under your belt before being able to do. I could be wrong but I believe that is accurate.

---------------------

:thumb: @ the OP

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH

THANK YOU!

Now I just have to figure out what kind to buy!

I'm a little cheaper than jamvector I guess .

You should be able to get into a good starting set up for under (or around) 50 bucks. I usually recommend new users get a good 510 kit for a starter, but the KR808 is also quite good. The main difference in these two models is that the 510 is a 3-piece system (battery, atomizer, cart) and the 808 is a two piece system (battery and cartomizer). the cartomizer is just the cart and atty combined.

The 510 is going to give a better hit and more vapor than the 808, but the 808 is going to go longer between charges and juice refills.

It's a tough choice, but in the end you are probably going to end up with both anyway and you can decide for yourself which is better for you.

Either way, you should be able to get a good starter (2-batts, 2-attys, charger) for under 50 bucks at about a dozen different places listed in the "sponsoring suppliers" at the top of your screen.

Just make sure you pick up a little juice to get you going (pre-filled carts are not very tastey to most), and buy juice in small bottles until you know what you like.

Good luck, and ask lots of questions in the new users area. Lots of great help there.

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm a little cheaper than jamvector I guess .

You should be able to get into a good starting set up for under (or around) 50 bucks. I usually recommend new users get a good 510 kit for a starter, but the KR808 is also quite good. The main difference in these two models is that the 510 is a 3-piece system (battery, atomizer, cart) and the 808 is a two piece system (battery and cartomizer). the cartomizer is just the cart and atty combined.

The 510 is going to give a better hit and more vapor than the 808, but the 808 is going to go longer between charges and juice refills.

It's a tough choice, but in the end you are probably going to end up with both anyway and you can decide for yourself which is better for you.

Either way, you should be able to get a good starter (2-batts, 2-attys, charger) for under 50 bucks at about a dozen different places listed in the "sponsoring suppliers" at the top of your screen.

Just make sure you pick up a little juice to get you going (pre-filled carts are not very tastey to most), and buy juice in small bottles until you know what you like.

Good luck, and ask lots of questions in the new users area. Lots of great help there.

Good point Highping; I didn't see anything that cheap, and didn't want to cruise for the absolute cheapest option. My main concern was getting a newbie sucked into something cheap from a potentially questionable source that could turn out to be a bad first experience. 510 vs 808, matter of preference, I'm sure either would be a great first option.

WhatAClumsyGirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2009
Mtns of Tennessee
Great thread !

One suggestion that people might want to try is the disposable's 510's from madvapes and a few other vendors here. They are reported to last a very long time, not really disposable at all...and for 9.99 a kit....a wonderful device to start out on, then you can decide what exactly you want. I think they also sell the disposable 901 / 801's...so for 30.00 you can try all 3 and decide on which you prefer.

Hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread