Do RDAs have an expiration date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XRaptureX

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2015
I would imagine that someone's first thought when looking at the title of this thread would be... What!?! Understandable, but let me explain. The question I want to propose for discussion is not whether RDAs have a limited period of use, but whether we still be using them 5 years from now?

As the industry continues to pump out version after version of more powerful regulated mods, and considering the strides that sub ohm tanks are making, it's just something I can't help but wonder about. We have tanks that can run coils of ridiculously low resistance now. Some will even fire more than one at a time. Capacity also seems to be increasing, with some tanks holding as much as 7 milliliters of juice or more. Building is fun, but as tanks continue to get better I just can't help but wonder if the convenience factor will win out in the end.

I want to add that I'm looking at this from a marketing standpoint. As more people start to vape, the old guard that is so committed to these types of devices is going to become much smaller by percentage. As these percentages dwindle, so does the demographic associated with them. These products could fall into a niche category of sorts, and it's not uncommon for companies to focus on the area where the most money can be made.

Of course these are just my random thoughts, and are speculation at best. That being said, we're all here because we love vaping, and we love talking about it. This felt like it would make an interesting topic for discussion and I'm curious to hear other peoples point of view on this. Thanks for reading.

End of Line.

boomhower1820

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
NC
Doubtful. RDA's are already huge minority of the vaping segment. Vapors that frequent forums are extremely small. Most folks are using cheapo disposables or ego style gear. Those that are buying higher end stuff is a much smaller market. Those that are willing to build their own coils is smaller yet again. As time goes on those that are willing to continue to build their own will likely remain somewhat constant percentage. Some will give it up for the convenience of prebuilt coils while others will keep on building. It's not all about performance, a lot of it is the hobby aspect of it as well. No one needs quad clapton coils for a decent vape. In the end, nope they aren't going anywhere but never going to be a bigger market than it is now.

XRaptureX

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2015
As time goes on those that are willing to continue to build their own will likely remain somewhat constant percentage.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm just not sure that's true. Vaping is slowly moving into the mainstream, and I just don't see your average, everyday Joe spending a whole lot of time building coils every week. Although many will enjoy that hobby aspect, I just don't see alot of next-generation vapors fitting into that mold. I could very well find myself in the minority concerning my thinking on this though. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

End of Line.

Darkstarncw

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Clemson, SC
I see we wasted no time in getting another one of these threads up for the week.

None of our guessing is really much more than that, but people still swear by cartotanks, so I tend to believe there will always be some people using RDAs. It's too easy to maintain them and get the vape you want while being able to quickly switch flavors for them to drop to tanks.

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas
I highly doubt there is a risk of RDAs fading out.The way i see it, these sub-ohm tanks are more of a gateway. More and more new vapers are starting with sub tanks. Heck, even the cig-a-like companies have started to take notice (Haus Craft Collection). Most of these tanks come with an RBA. And instead of buying the pre-made coils, a lot will try their hand at rebuilding to save money and find a better vape. At the same time, these people keep hearing things like "almost as good as an RDA" , "better vapor,better flavor than a tank" . I didn't start with a sub tank, but it's opinions like that, and the cost effectiveness that got me looking into RDAs.

Reactions: XRaptureX

XRaptureX

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2015
I highly doubt there is a risk of RDAs fading out.The way i see it, these sub-ohm tanks are more of a gateway. More and more new vapers are starting with sub tanks. Heck, even the cig-a-like companies have started to take notice (Haus Craft Collection). Most of these tanks come with an RBA. And instead of buying the pre-made coils, a lot will try their hand at rebuilding to save money and find a better vape. At the same time, these people keep hearing things like "almost as good as an RDA" , "better vapor,better flavor than a tank" . I didn't start with a sub tank, but it's opinions like that, and the cost effectiveness that got me looking into RDAs.

I started building for very similar reasons, so you make a very valid point. Well said sir.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

snork

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 30, 2011
    CO
    The question I want to propose for discussion is not whether RDAs have a limited period of use, but whether we still be using them 5 years from now?
    I believe some of us will still be using our antique equipment, but at the rate I've seen things change over the last five years I doubt the equipment produced five years from now will have any resemblance, even relationship, to current technology and fashion.

XRaptureX

ECF Veteran
    Oct 10, 2015

Well then I guess I should be happy that I'm surrounded by like minded people. I just thought this would be an interesting topic. Between all the new product that is flooding into the market on a daily basis, and so many advocacy issues going on at any given time, it just seems to me like the vaping industry is in a constant state of flux. It's fun to speculate as to where we might be going. Some might not enjoy the subject, while others might feel it's played out, but it does make you wonder why they post.

Reactions: puffon

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Are you asking if RDAs altogether will fade out or the popularity of specific ones? If the latter, yes, that happens constantly with all vape gear, but if you like something, keep using it. People laugh that I like the Magma. Well, I do, so I'm going to keep using it.

When I got my first Rose v2 someone told me it was "so yesterday, and there are better tanks now.". That was over a year ago, and its still my favorite RTA.

XRaptureX

ECF Veteran
    Oct 10, 2015
    Are you asking if RDAs altogether will fade out or the popularity of specific ones? If the latter, yes, that happens constantly with all vape gear, but if you like something, keep using it. People laugh that I like the Magma. Well, I do, so I'm going to keep using it.

When I got my first Rose v2 someone told me it was "so yesterday, and there are better tanks now.". That was over a year ago, and its still my favorite RTA.

Your absolutely right. I don't feel that RDAs will fade out completely, and it's awesome that you're not compelled to succumb to "the new hotness". This was more of a concern that they wouldn't get the attention from major companies the way they are now. That the variety of options we have might diminish. Maybe even see a lessening in quality overtime, as the industry begins to focus on things that have more mass market appeal.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 13, 2014
    The Poconos
    Pick just about any "hobby", be it audio, automobiles, firearms or whatever and you will always find those that chase the latest and greatest new invention (or reinvention) to come down the pike...and then there's the rest of us who find something they truly enjoy and stick with it.

It's always been this way and I doubt that will ever change.

XRaptureX

ECF Veteran
    Oct 10, 2015
    I do both. I love trying new things, but I also continue using "old" things that I am happy with. In this industry, "old" can be 2 months ago.

You are so not kidding. Sometimes it's even less time than that. Bought a Coolfire IV, great stuff, it was something like a month and they announced the Disruptor. Fell in love with the Sapor after my Mutation X V4 kept leaking on me, and a month or so later they come out with the Lush. Basically the Mutation without the bottom airflow holes that was causing the darn thing to leak. (Facepalm!)

WattWick

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    I don't find it one bit convenient to build my own coils - on a practical level. But I do prefer the end result. The (very basic) setups I build last me a long time. I still see people complain about the same thing that (partially) drove me to RBAs in the first place: poor luck in the replacement head lottery. And... well... I prefer the flavor I get from mesh over cotton and rayon and the like.

On the other hand, build me a 100% bulletproof tank with 100% working replacement heads that runs for weeks without maintenance - with a wick that don't taste like wet t-shirts (to me)... and I'll trade all my current gear for 5. I don't use what I use because I really really want to. I use it because it's works for me and requires the least amount of repeat purchases (money and time) and fiddling (time and annoyance).

I think there will always be niches in any hobby. The more popular a hobby gets, the more people will find their own little niche.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    A friend and I both have ipv2s from Aug/Sep of last year. People were laughing about that on a recent RTA thread. I'm like, it still works fine, why wouldn't I use it? It doesn't have tc, but its a perfectly good kanthal mod. Are only Provaris allowed to last over a year?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread