Status
Not open for further replies.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
You also have to factor in that trends come and go. Right now sub ohm, massive airflow clearomisers are all the rage. That leaves a lot of vapers with no option but to use an rta. Demand is still there so they will be produced.
kayfun clones are starting to get a bit thin on the ground though so you may have a point. : )

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm just not sure that's true. Vaping is slowly moving into the mainstream, and I just don't see your average, everyday Joe spending a whole lot of time building coils every week. Although many will enjoy that hobby aspect, I just don't see alot of next-generation vapors fitting into that mold. I could very well find myself in the minority concerning my thinking on this though. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

End of Line.

1: so aside from the topic not being about rda expiration
I would imagine that someone's first thought when looking at the title of this thread would be... What!?! Understandable, but let me explain. The question I want to propose for discussion is not whether RDAs have a limited period of use, but whether we still be using them 5 years from now?

As the industry continues to pump out version after version of more powerful regulated mods, and considering the strides that sub ohm tanks are making, it's just something I can't help but wonder about. We have tanks that can run coils of ridiculously low resistance now. Some will even fire more than one at a time. Capacity also seems to be increasing, with some tanks holding as much as 7 milliliters of juice or more. Building is fun, but as tanks continue to get better I just can't help but wonder if the convenience factor will win out in the end.

I want to add that I'm looking at this from a marketing standpoint. As more people start to vape, the old guard that is so committed to these types of devices is going to become much smaller by percentage. As these percentages dwindle, so does the demographic associated with them. These products could fall into a niche category of sorts, and it's not uncommon for companies to focus on the area where the most money can be made.

Of course these are just my random thoughts, and are speculation at best. That being said, we're all here because we love vaping, and we love talking about it. This felt like it would make an interesting topic for discussion and I'm curious to hear other peoples point of view on this. Thanks for reading.

End of Line.

Right now we have tanks with rebuildable heads;
next I'd like to see rda's with rebuildable heads.

this cerberus *almost* does it.
1802201-10.jpg

plus it hybrids to m26x1 mods.

Another thing is chuff caps; i'd like to see more of that

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Don't worry if the subject has been covered before. Most of us realize that to search and find something in this HUGE place is like looking for a needle in a haystack. ;)

Not to mention the fact that threads get automatically closed if inactive for three months.

Welcome to the Forum and happy journey in vaping! :D

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
I would imagine that someone's first thought when looking at the title of this thread would be... What!?! Understandable, but let me explain. The question I want to propose for discussion is not whether RDAs have a limited period of use, but whether we still be using them 5 years from now?

As the industry continues to pump out version after version of more powerful regulated mods, and considering the strides that sub ohm tanks are making, it's just something I can't help but wonder about. We have tanks that can run coils of ridiculously low resistance now. Some will even fire more than one at a time. Capacity also seems to be increasing, with some tanks holding as much as 7 milliliters of juice or more. Building is fun, but as tanks continue to get better I just can't help but wonder if the convenience factor will win out in the end.

I want to add that I'm looking at this from a marketing standpoint. As more people start to vape, the old guard that is so committed to these types of devices is going to become much smaller by percentage. As these percentages dwindle, so does the demographic associated with them. These products could fall into a niche category of sorts, and it's not uncommon for companies to focus on the area where the most money can be made.

Of course these are just my random thoughts, and are speculation at best. That being said, we're all here because we love vaping, and we love talking about it. This felt like it would make an interesting topic for discussion and I'm curious to hear other peoples point of view on this. Thanks for reading.

End of Line.

Actually it is quite the opposite. As vaping continues to grow at an exponential rate, there continues to be a rise within the percentage of total vapers who become vaping enthusiasts, or hobbyists.

Now more than ever, vape shops are beginning to cater to the hobbyists...and by doing so, it also exposes the newbie vaper or person just trying to quit to the hobby side of vaping.

Also, one trend that has continued since vaping began, is devices keep becoming more and more powerful, and I don't see that ending anytime soon.

Honestly, RDAs and rebuildables are the big thing right now.

You can go on instagram and pinterest, and see people who are master coil builders, with thousands upon thousands of followers.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm just not sure that's true. Vaping is slowly moving into the mainstream, and I just don't see your average, everyday Joe spending a whole lot of time building coils every week. Although many will enjoy that hobby aspect, I just don't see alot of next-generation vapors fitting into that mold. I could very well find myself in the minority concerning my thinking on this though. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

End of Line.

Rebuildables are here to stay.
Forever.

Some of us will never go back to the tether of buying coils every few days.

That's almost as costly as smoking.

I started vaping to break the chain, not replace it.

Welcome to vaping.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Actually it is quite the opposite. As vaping continues to grow at an exponential rate, there continues to be a rise within the percentage of total vapers who become vaping enthusiasts, or hobbyists.

Now more than ever, vape shops are beginning to cater to the hobbyists...and by doing so, it also exposes the newbie vaper or person just trying to quit to the hobby side of vaping.

Also, one trend that has continued since vaping began, is devices keep becoming more and more powerful, and I don't see that ending anytime soon.

Honestly, RDAs and rebuildables are the big thing right now.

You can go on instagram and pinterest, and see people who are master coil builders, with thousands upon thousands of followers.

^^^^^^^

When I started all I really wanted was a cigalike.
Somebody tried to sell me a vamo and I was laughing; why would I want to walk around with that big thing just to take a puff.
FOR $$$COST$$$ reasons I upgraded to an ego size setup.

Later, for safety reasons and also FOR $$$COST$$$ reasons I invested in two regulated 18650 mods, and by that time I was rebuilding protank coils.

So long as I was rebuilding protank coils, it made sense to just get a proper rebuildable; so then started the big hardware acquisition period that lasted a year; and a boxfull of steel later I had an assortment of metal including rda's.

One thing you can do with an rda that you can't do with a tank is to just add some other flavor ON THE FLY.
Feel like a little more nic? Add a drop of higher strength liquid.
Feel for a bit of capucino in the morning: add a drop;
feel for a light mint taste in the evening.... ok, not usually, but sometimes.

With an rta, I'm more likely to keep running that coil till it literally tastes so obviously bad, before I decide to open it up;
with an rda, when I suspect it's a bit off, no tank of liquid to worry about, just dryburn/rewick and we're off again

====
oh; yah; I was trying to say, I for example had no intention or inclination to use anything but a cigalike, but for COST reasons and convenience I guess, I keep using rda's.

This seems to be a pattern where people end up with rda's; not the new vapers but the longer time vapers. And I don't do much coiling; lots of rewicking because of necessity at least 2 times a week maybe, but I might not wrap a coil for months.

And with VT mods nowadays, new rda users aren't going to suffer as much with burnt taste.

My next setup might be a kato with a kick and a fountainv2 sqounking rda.

Last edited:

vassilbg

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2014
RSM, CA
Its funny, because I just picked up my first RDA last Friday, a Tugboat v2. I had the B&M build me a Clapton coil and they guarantee their coils for a month, I just have to swap the wick out which I already have plenty of experience with since I build my own coils and wicks on my Kayfun. With that being said, I just bought a Subtank and Triton because I'm tired of building my own coils and wicks all the time, I like being able to just pop it out, pop a new one in and vape... I don't thing they'll expire... but they WILL evolve, as thanks have evolved, so will RDAs... hell, some of tanks coming out these days hit better, more flavor, and more vapor than some of the original RDAs... only time will tell.

Reactions: XRaptureX

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My first experience with rda's was the last time I used a tank. My forumla is temp control, rda's and DIY. I believe those will be the norm for long time vapers. 15 minutes to rebuild every 10 days. 15 minutes to mix a batch of eliquid. 10 seconds 10 times a day to re drip. Not much time burden there.

VaporDaze

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2015
Denver, CO
Depends on what I'm doing that decides what I'm using! If I'm at work and driving I use a tank, if I'm the passenger I use an RDA. If I'm sitting at home watching tv, RDA it is. Laying in bed, I choose a tank. All of my gear has a time and a place for me and I don't see RDAs going extinct. I do enjoy building but once I find one I like I'm hard pressed to change it unless need be, been rocking dual claptons .43 ohms for the better part of a month and don't see the need to change them out because I love the flavor from them and vapor production

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I think tanks are inconvenient.

I can't take it apart without figuring out what to do with a tank full of juice.
I can't easily switch flavors when I feel like it.
There is a tank full of juice that can leak if not placed down correctly.
There is often glass that can break.
There is a smaller deck with less room to build coils.
There are not as many airflow options.
They take time to refill.
The flavor and vapor is not as good.

I will always go for the convenience of a dripper over the headache of messing with a tank.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hmm, lets see here...

2 Sub-tank Plus using RBA decks no prefab coils, one an Ni200 build --- X
2X Patriot Clones modded for clouding, 1 dual twisted 26awg, 1 dual claptons --- X
2x IGO W collecting dust but still useful --- X
2X Derringers 1 with twisted 28awg single coils, 1 with a 26awg/30awg double helix wickless single coil (flavor tester) --- X
1X Mutation X V2 with dual twisted 28awg coils --- X
1X Zenith V1 with standard wrap 26awg dual coils --- X
1X Quasar V1 with standard dual 28awg micro-coils --- X
1X Helios V1 with standard dual 24awg coils --- X
2X Omega Clones collecting dust but still useful --- X
1X Doge V2 dual twisted 26awg coils --- X
2X Russian Full Size in use --- X
2X Russian 91% in use --- X
4X Kayfun Lite Clones in use --- X
2X Taifun GT V1 Clones in use --- X
3X Kayfun V4 1 Authentic, 1 Clone in use --- X
4X A7 Mini 1 in use on my Reo, 3 still in packing --- X
8X Smoktech RDA (AKA Octopus) collecting dust --- X
4X Smoktech RDA Mini (AKA Squid) 1 for flavor testing, 3 still in packing --- X
1X iSub GS Air --- X

All boxed up and listening to crickets chirping for if worst came to worst vapocalypse
1X Arctic
1X Herakles
1X TFV4
1X Billow V1
1X Aqua V1
4X RSST Genny
2X Steam Turbine Genny Clone
2X Kraken Genny Clone
2X Satburn 22 Genny Clone
1X Striker Clone
1X Expromizer
2X Aerotanks
2X Protank 3
4X Protank 2
2X Protank 2 Mini
1X Protank V1
24X T3S

Morale of this story here, moved to anything I can build and control the coil to my tastes and needs at the moment, no use having a bunch of tanks and 3X different ohm coils per tank type for what ever mood hits me, I can just tear a coil out and rebuild it to what I need it to do. Will RDAs fall to the way side, I doubt it, no matter what these latest and greatest nifty sub-ohm tanks can do, for flavor, liquid direct to coil like the double helix I listed above will never match it or a genesis when I get the wild bur to get one up and running with SS Cable and SS Mesh...

Matter of fact, need a 10minute project, pulls out one of his Krakens, needed a good tank for work this week =D

Alex Freddy

Unresolved Status
Oct 8, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway

I think manually feeding liquids to coils is inconvenient when a wick can do it for me.

For someone with an absent mind and the habit of just picking up a setup and vaping it; drippers have 3 'states'. Dry, fine and flooded. I don't care for finding out which it is when I just want a quick couple of puffs. So, usually I get 'dry' - or 'flooded' - in fear of 'dry'. :(

The solution to wanting to change flavors often falls under the Common Solution to Everything Vaping: get more gear. :D

XRaptureX

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2015
so then started the big hardware acquisition period that lasted a year;

Yep. I'm right there with you. I've enjoyed trying different things in an effort to find what really works for me. Now that I feel I've found my sweet spot, I still see the occasional mod that catches my eye. Vaping would definitely be saving me money compared to smoking if it wasn't for all the cool gear. It's whatever though, everybody needs a hobby.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy

I can't take it apart without figuring out what to do with a tank full of juice.
I can't easily switch flavors when I feel like it.
There is a tank full of juice that can leak if not placed down correctly.
There is often glass that can break.
There is a smaller deck with less room to build coils.
There are not as many airflow options.
They take time to refill.
The flavor and vapor is not as good.

I will always go for the convenience of a dripper over the headache of messing with a tank.

Wait until after the tank is empty.
Sure you can. I do it all the time.
My drippers leak like crazy. I tend to over drip. Yeah my fault, but the same can be said about tanks.
Drippers can have glass.
True but to some they build fine unless you go crazy with your coils.
Depends on the tank.
Same as dripping. Either drip periodically or fill a tank. Same amount of liquid just how you drip it. Into an atty or tank.
I beg to differ. It is similar unless you go crazy again.

Its all about preference. I liken a tank to just an enclosed rda.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I'm just waiting for them to come up with an 'ever-last' wick that has a 6 months lifespan... THAT, my friends, will be the next evolution in this industry.

Already exists, called SS Cable, Solid Ceramic, and SS Mesh, though mainly only used in a Genesis style tank but I've heard the Foggers can use SS Mesh

Reactions: WattWick

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
On the rare occasion I use drippers, I stick mesh in them. Then it occurs to me that I get more or less the same vape as I do on my gennies - with no dripping involved. I guess it's different for those who want to vaporize a small pool worth of liquids faster than any wick can wick.

Don't get me wrong. Not dissing drippers. It's just that for my kind of vaping - they really don't offer anything I don't already have except manual labor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread