Do you ever relapse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swoozy

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2014
Yesterday was Mardi Gras.

From drinking all day with ecig in pocket I broke down and bought a pack of smokes. I have been vaping heavily for about 2 years, but every time I drink in a party atmosphere I can't beat the habbit. Now today I'm heavy chested and filled with regret.

Do you ever break down like this? Any ideas how someone like me could stop doing this?

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
Tomorrow will be 2 years since my last smoke. Of course I've had fleeting urges, but they go fast. I'm not going to say that I'm beyond backsliding, but I'm able to cope pretty easily with those fleeting urges. When you get those urges, just try chain vaping for a bit, it'll usually go away. And I still look at the cigarette section when I'm at the store and see how much they are, and I count my blessings that I'm not forking out my hard earned cash to help kill myself. Keep up the good work with your vaping and get your head convinced that you don't want to smoke anymore.

LiquidElectron

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2015
Iowa, U.S.
Yes. Full-blown relapse back to full-time smoker last year. I did much thinking and realized I was doing things wrong. I've corrected my errors and Tuesday when everything arrives that I'm waiting for (vapemail!) I should be able to un-relapse. :)

Don't worry about one night.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Not once is six years. I find even the thought of a cigarette utterly repugnant and I was a PAD for 20 years. But If I'm honest with myself, if for some reason I was unable to vape, I don't know if my resolve would hold out.
I'm making it my mission to ensure I will be able to continue to vape beyond the vapocolypse.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I don't see having occasional smoke as a relapse. I mean that I don't see nothing wrong in occasional smoking. If I could just enjoy a couple of cigarettes a day I would still be a smoker but I can't stick to that... Same for drinking, today is Super Bowl so I'm having a few drinks. Now if I needed to drink every day after that, then it would be a problematic relapse. I had a couple of cigs few months ago and that was it, I didn't smoke since then. Was it a struggle not to smoke? No! So I suppose that I would take occasional smoke without guilt as long as I keep my freedom to step away from them.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I stopped smoking in October '14. The following Christmas day I smoked one to prove to a brother of mine I was truely free of smoking because having that cigarette wouldn't trigger a relapse. I gave him an N mini and iStick 20 that day. Months later I found a pack of cigs in the house, smoked one, threw the rest away. The following August I smoked one for my brother again who was still dual using to emphasize that he too could get completely free of dependence on cigarettes. I haven't smoked one since but I might if it would help persuade someone to start vaping. My brother is no longer a dual user.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rossum

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Nope. I tried one cigarette about 3 months after switching. I enjoyed the first half of it, but then that old familiar irritation in my bronchus started flaring up. It had been gone for more than two months by then, and I didn't want it back, so I put that cigarette out before finishing it and haven't had another one since.

Reactions: NoFumus

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
I've smoked 2 stinkies in the last 3+ years. 1 about 6 months after I started vaping (just to try it again, and YUCK)...and again about 18 months ago, when I broke the glass on my tank at work without a spare, so I bummed a smoke and actually enjoyed it. Fixed my tank that evening, haven't left the house without a spare since, and haven't smoked since.

Just because you had a relapse doesn't mean you have to keep smoking, and it certainly doesn't make you a bad person. I just means you smoked a few cigarettes.

Perhaps find yourself a nice 'bacco flavored liquid, and use it when you're in party mode...maybe even a cig-a-like for those occasions.

Reactions: Rossum

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
My wife and I had this tradition. Every November when the time changed (that hour doesn't count, right?) we would go out on the patio and have a cigar.

First year, just 2 1/2 months after quitting, it was "Oh yeah, now that's what I'm talkin' about.)

Second year it was "meh".

Third year it was "yuck". Couldn't even finish it.

Fourth year, didn't even bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread