Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
As it stands ATM you have to use nickel or titanium wire to use tempreture control, is it essential no but it could be very beneficial depending on the results of studies into how heat affects wire, wick and liquid and what by products may be produced. Thing is though temp control mods are now coming out for the same price as non tc mods so why not get the extra feature and I have one on pre sale order for £26.50 that's less then I paid for my subtank+ lol. Only aspect of vaping I'm a tiny bit worried about is the temperature affect and having a mod that gives me control over that will eliminate that tiny concern so up to you really whether it's worth it or not.

Reactions: Caffeine7

Vatic

Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
Ohio
Temp control for me is a very cool vape. If you build your own coils then I would say its definitely worth a go. You can set your temperature to 400 degrees and then no matter what you set your wattage at your not going to burn your cotton. and YES, in order to utilize the temp control feature you must wrap your coils with nickel wire. I use Ni200.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Nah. Well, I tend to have good air and juice flow and I don't get burnt hits unless I am experimenting with power. Even then, I don't get more than one hit. On a daily basis, I don't see a need to spend more money for something that is not requiring to me. I stay below 20w 95% of the time.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
If I use 1.5-1.8 stock coils and vape under 11 watts do you think it's something I would need? Or do you think I already cape in a safe zone?

Should be fine at that range, Red.

As said, if shopping for a new device, getting one with TC capability might be a nice way to "future proof" against changing tastes, and would allow you to experiment with different coil metals, but it's not necessary.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
I would say in that range your safe and when tc mods were expensive I could understand people not going for them but they are now cheap as chips and some of the budget chips are working better then the more recognised names. It comes down to personal preference at the end of the day I am intending to treat myself to whatever version of the sx mini is out at Xmas time and the chance to play with tc cheaply before that was too good a chance to pass up. So in short not essential right now but a good feature for your mod to have in future.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
What is the highest resistance for Ni coil? Is it suitable for tootle puffer?
If answer is yes, I may consider buying one.
You can't really directly compare the resistance of nickel to the resistance of kanthal. .15 Ohms nickel is roughly equivalent to .5 Ohms kanthal, for example.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
First I've heard that a different material changes the laws of physics. Resistance is resistance. 0.15 is not equal to 0.5.

Can you get a similar / equal vape at different resistances? Sure. But voltage and resultant power levels will be different.

Also, for the OP, if you're using a rebuildable topper, you can choose to use Nickel or Kanthal with a TC device. It just won't work in TC mode with Kanthal. Just because the device it TC capable doesn't mean you have to use it that way. But the option might be nice to have.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
What is the highest resistance for Ni coil? Is it suitable for tootle puffer?
If answer is yes, I may consider buying one.

Sure it can be suitable for tootle puffer. Vaporshark sells pre-made nickel coils for the Nautilus. You can vape away at 10 or 11 watts with that.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Great so if I buy the new evic vt or IPv4 I can use my regular coils in wattage mode then use nickel ones for temp mode. I have a lot of stock coils I don't want to waste with the new temp devices.

Just remember that with the YiHi chip, you have to manually change it from power mode (variable watts) to temp control mode (variable joules).

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Sonicbomb has a valid point. I'm seeing so many problems with TC devices, that I've decided to stay away...for now. I'm gonna give it a year or so for the e-cig companies to start getting a better handle on the chip-boards. Those temp control devices are expensive, and if I got stuck with one of the many lemons out there.....

For now, I'll stick with my IPV mini and my mechs. I love my vapes right now, and I just don't feel the need for an upgrade.

Reactions: distruzio

distruzio

May 10, 2015
Atlanta
Sonicbomb has a valid point. I'm seeing so many problems with TC devices, that I've decided to stay away...for now. I'm gonna give it a year or so for the e-cig companies to start getting a better handle on the chip-boards. Those temp control devices are expensive, and if I got stuck with one of the many lemons out there.....

For now, I'll stick with my IPV mini and my mechs. I love my vapes right now, and I just don't feel the need for an upgrade.

I feel the same way. I passed on the chance to buy an M80 today for the same reason. I like my current setup. Until my IPV mini takes a dump, I'll stick with kanthal builds.

I know my next digital mod will include TC. Im thinking thats going to be my Xmas gift... unless a study is released proving and verifying findings about any dangers inherent in non-TC builds, I'll hold out.

Besides, I tend to blow through my monthly vape budget quick enough as it is. Not sure the wife would approve an additional not necessarily necessary expense without appropriate justification.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Nope, count me out of the temperature control crowd and really the VV/VW crowd all together. Honestly to me it's just like cellphones and most other silicon and circuit board driven technology, there will be a newer updated model with new flashy features every 3-6 months or so and much of the market will rush to buy it... I'll still be here with my mech mod in the "primitive age" haha.

Though to be honest I'm part of a dying breed I suppose as I still prefer a standard transmission over an automatic as I feel more connected to the experience and thus more satisfied with everything involved, to the point that I flat out refuse to own any automatic vehicles. Mechanical technology is way more interesting to me than electrical circuitry and line after line of code.

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
First I've heard that a different material changes the laws of physics. Resistance is resistance. 0.15 is not equal to 0.5.

With Ni200, resistance changes with temperature. It may start out at 0.15Ω room temp, but the resistance quickly ramps up as it heats. Not sure where one comes up with that particular comparison, but then, I haven't tried TP vaping yet.

Reactions: Buster282
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread