Not open for further replies.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
alien Traveler" data-source="post: 15810268" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
alien Traveler said:
What is the highest resistance for Ni coil? Is it suitable for tootle puffer?
If answer is yes, I may consider buying one.
Highest resistance (on a dna 40) is 1.0 ohms (cold) but you'd need a rather large coil, or VERY thin wire. I'm usually in the 0.18 - ish range. That's 12 3 mm wraps with 28 gauge Ni200.
And I would say that yes, they are suitable for tootle puffing, but not a necessity. And quite frankly, unless you're interested in experimenting with Ni200, I wouldn't suggest it.

It does (or at least, did for me) take a bit of tinkering and experimenting to get it just right the first time. If set up properly, it will guarantee NO burned hits.

Of course, the same can be said of almost every other properly set up atomizer/mod combo, IMO.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Do you need temp control

NO, I know how to keep my wicks wet.

All temp control does is turn the wattage down as the wick dries out. WELL .... how weak do you let your vape get before you add more juice?!?

A better idea is to just learn how to tell when it's time to drip.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    With Ni200, resistance changes with temperature. It may start out at 0.15Ω room temp, but the resistance quickly ramps up as it heats. Not sure where one comes up with that particular comparison, but then, I haven't tried TP vaping yet.

Actually, all conductors will change resistance with temp change. Some more than others, and that's what makes Ni suitable for temp control - it changes enough to be reasonably accurately predicted. Kanthal changes a lot less.

Even the research into "super-conductors" is working on getting them to be/stay super-conductive at temps above freezing. That type of material changes - a LOT! :)

Reactions: Bimini Twist

Visus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    NO, I know how to keep my wicks wet.

All temp control does is turn the wattage down as the wick dries out. WELL .... how weak do you let your vape get before you add more juice?!?

A better idea is to just learn how to tell when it's time to drip.

LOL

You obviously maynot/don't drink and vape.

Its great for work and drinking, many times cannot sense the tank low at work,outside the vapor is automatically thnner from the huge outside room and its hard to tell,indoors yeah but outside it would be good use and when drinking lol..

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    Highest resistance (on a DNA 40) is 1.0 ohms (cold) but you'd need a rather large coil, or VERY thin wire. I'm usually in the 0.18 - ish range. That's 12 3 mm wraps with 28 gauge Ni200.
    And I would say that yes, they are suitable for tootle puffing, but not a necessity. And quite frankly, unless you're interested in experimenting with Ni200, I wouldn't suggest it.

It does (or at least, did for me) take a bit of tinkering and experimenting to get it just right the first time. If set up properly, it will guarantee NO burned hits.

Of course, the same can be said of almost every other properly set up atomizer/mod combo, IMO.
    Thanks.
    Now I see I do not need temp control.
    I do not have dry burns (OK, may be twice a month), so with Ni I will only complicate my life without any necessity.

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    With the quest by some to find the biggest and baddest mods that can push more power than what's really needed, temperature control may very well become a necessity. We already know that extremely high temperatures can change the chemical composition of e-juice. By creating a mod that also controls the temperature of the coils, this problem is alleviated.

Reactions: DavidOck

jseah

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY, USA
    Temp control may not be as useful with RDA's but they definitely help with tanks. The following illustrates how well temp control works.

Atlantis 1 with stock 0.5 ohm kanthal coil - I typically set it to be around 30-35 watts and take a 3-4 second draw. If I set the wattage any higher, then the vape starts to taste burnt towards the end of the draw. The coil can't wick the juice fast enough to prevent a dry hit, especially if I start chain vaping.

Atlantis 1 with 0.15 ohm nickel coil - on an IPV4 set at 50 joules (the IPV4's maximum) with the temperature control set to 400 degrees, I can go all the way up to a 8-10 second draw (the limit of my body's ability to suck in air without exhaling) and the vape never tastes burnt and the vape stays cool, even if I chain vape.

If all you are doing is taking small 1-2 second hits, then yes you don't need temperature control. For how I vape, temperature control works great for me.

The Yeti

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Black Hills, SD
    You could turn the wattage down, but then you are vaping at the lower wattage for the entire vape. There's a big difference between that and vaping at a higher wattage with the wattage lowering DURING the vape. Let's see you do that without temperature control.

My SX Mini does that (and NOT in TC mode). Just use the "Powerful" or "Powerfu+" settings. ;) These settings start at a higher wattage and ramp down over the duration of the draw. I have my .44 ohm dual coil set to 25w and I use the "Powerful" setting and am liking it a lot. "Powerfu+" is just a little to hot at the start for me.

While I own a TC device, I do not use it in TC mode (I've tried it...meh). I bought the SX Mini for it's looks and build quality, nothing more. The TC mode was just something to play with, and now that I have I've decided it just isn't worth the hassle.

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2013
    Detroit MI
    how important is it to have temp control? I'm looking for my next mod and was wondering if it's a must have. I'm a tootle puffer btw. Also to you HAVE to use a tank w nickel or titanium coils?
    Tx
    No. You dont HAVE to use anything, some people still use cigalikes, its about what you want...Ive used a temp control mod at a B&M and found nothing essential about it, its just a new feature and people are fawning over it as such.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    Thanks.
    Now I see I do not need temp control.
    I do not have dry burns (OK, may be twice a month), so with Ni I will only complicate my life without any necessity.
    Exactly. I cannot call myself a "pro" vaper, but I have gained some experience over the last year and a half of rebuilding and tinkering. I didn't "need" a TC device, I bought one because I wanted one to experiment with.

I don't regret buying one, but I readily admit that I was perfectly satisfied with what I was vaping on before.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread