Do you need to use a power screw driver to unscrew the spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
If the spring is toast (which it prolly is, I'm guessing, since you're looking to remove it), you can try to loosen it by rotating the spring counterclockwise. Use pliers if you need to, or a flat screwdriver against the spring base.

Unless you have a replacement screw, you really don't want to damage it.

Reactions: RobinBanks

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
If the spring is toast (which it prolly is, I'm guessing, since you're looking to remove it), you can try to loosen it by rotating the spring counterclockwise. Use pliers if you need to, or a flat screwdriver against the spring base.

Unless you have a replacement screw, you really don't want to damage it.

Yeah I think it might be toast - not sure, but I was trying to be safe. It still works, it just seems... shorter than it should be? I had a spring collapse once and there was no question .. that thing was FLAT and blackened. This one, not as much. mod still works. Good point though. I have a replacement spring, but I don't have a new screw. Replacement spring seen on left, below.
zC75ExF.png

I'm a little upset with myself because I had the thing for a DAY before this happened. Also, The door was missing a magnet. Found the magnet attached to my battery and went to glue it back in. What do I do? I glue the damn magnet in backwards and now the door propels itself off the mod. Tried to use a little acetone to remove the magnet and completely ruined my door.

That is not to mention another REO is having issues with firing and has to go visit Rob (plus get a 510 update), maybe this one will just go back with it :yawn:

DEEP BREATHS.

lol sorry, I needed to vent.

Reactions: JC Okie

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
I've always stuck my magnet to the magnet on the body of the mod put a little super glue on it then used the door to take it off the body. I hope this makes since for next time.

LOL, hopefully I don't do something so bone-headed again, but I think I get what you're saying. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: JC Okie

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
Do you have a mod to use till yours get back?
Yes thankfully I have 3 REOs. This in't the end of the world .. I'm just having one of those periods were tons of tiny things go wrong and everything breaks. Guess I was due for one. Frustrating!

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
That's awful Robin and I feel your pain! While I never had an issue with a frozen spring screw I DID glue the wrong side of the magnet to the door! :facepalm:
The door never propelled itself off of the mod per se but it was very very loose. Thankfully a certain REOnaut here who just reeks of awesomeness squared me away with some handmade covers that kept the door right were it needs to be! Still use those bad boys to this day!
That REO is now close to being at the spa to get some improvements done to it as well as a new door. Have you tried spraying a little WD40 on the screw or anything similar to help loosen it up?

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
For the bottom spring I always found I needed to use a little bigger screwdriver to get enough leverage to remove the screw. The smaller screwdriver I use for everything else just would not work to remove the spring screw.
That i probably my issue. I order a new door and some more springs and screws from Rob this morning to keep on hand. I'm gonna get something with a better handle before I attempt again.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
That's awful Robin and I feel your pain! While I never had an issue with a frozen spring screw I DID glue the wrong side of the magnet to the door! :facepalm:
The door never propelled itself off of the mod per se but it was very very loose. Thankfully a certain REOnaut here who just reeks of awesomeness squared me away with some handmade covers that kept the door right were it needs to be! Still use those bad boys to this day!
That REO is now close to being at the spa to get some improvements done to it as well as a new door. Have you tried spraying a little WD40 on the screw or anything similar to help loosen it up?

Well I may have been a little dramatic using the word "propel", lol, but it pretty much forces the door to slide down. I put an order in with Rob for a bunch of repair stuff and a new door and al will be well. If I end up having to use plies to get the current screw out, so be it. Lesson learned!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread