Do you think variable voltage or variable wattage tastes better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an itaste vv v3 battery which I love but the battery life over the months has become terrible so I decided to get something different. I ended up getting the Vision Spinner ii which only has volts. I always liked the taste of watts significantly more than volts on my itaste, and never even used the volts, but I thought maybe I could adjust. On my Vision Spinner ii, the flavor with the volts is muted no matter which setting I use. Often even after using the battery for only a minute on low volts (3.3 or 3.8, the two lowest settings), the flavor tastes incredibly burnt. I don't know what to do, I could buy another battery that has watts, but I just bought this one so it seems wasteful and I don't have the money for a new one (although I could save up for one I guess). Any advice?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I have an itaste vv v3 battery which I love but the battery life over the months has become terrible so I decided to get something different. I ended up getting the Vision Spinner ii which only has volts. I always liked the taste of watts significantly more than volts on my itaste, and never even used the volts, but I thought maybe I could adjust. On my Vision Spinner ii, the flavor with the volts is muted no matter which setting I use. Often even after using the battery for only a minute on low volts (3.3 or 3.8, the two lowest settings), the flavor tastes incredibly burnt. I don't know what to do, I could buy another battery that has watts, but I just bought this one so it seems wasteful and I don't have the money for a new one (although I could save up for one I guess). Any advice?

1: Time to get a replaceable battery mod.
All batteries will decrease in performance over time.

2: Maybe your spinner is using MEAN instead of RMS; or it could be something else, but after a few months vaping I suppose you should be able to tell if you have other issues.

Doesn't really matter if you use volts of watts, but having both options available as with the itazte vv3 and many replaceable battery mods, is the best. A common vamo or there's the e-lvt, or there's the new istick.

In terms of most cost effective alternatives, a mechanical mod with a kick tube and a dropin kick module would be the cheapest route, but you lose the screen with the ability to change volts/watts with the touch of a button, or to check battery charge and atomizer resistance.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
ive only used vv and unregulated and honestly unregulated has been better for flavor, i have no idea why

Unregulated mods supply straight-up DC power. Regulated mods actually run at a higher voltage than you set them to (generally speaking) and use rapid on/off pulses to emulate lower power output. The quicker this pulsing is, the closer you get to an unregulated mod. If my memory serves me, a lot of the "cheaper" regulated mods (Vamo) pulse at i.e 33hz, while the Provari (and some others) pulse at 800hz or so. The numbers may be off, but you get the idea... I hope. E.g the famous "Vamo rattlesnake sound". That's the pulsing you're hearing.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
A mod that has Variable Wattage just measurers the resistance of the atty, looks at how many watts you asked for, and uses Ohm's law to set a voltage.

With a Variable Voltage mod you set the voltage. The Universe measures the resistance of the atty and uses Ohm's law to get the wattage.

In both cases the mod outputs a voltage.

There are several different electrical circuits that can be used to alter voltage in different ways.

One is to start with a higher voltage, either use batteries in series or a simple circuit will do it, and turn it off and on quickly to simulate a voltage. Now there are 2 different ways to measure the voltage of this circuit. One is to take the average voltage over time and the other Is RMS (Root Mean Square. I am not exactly sure how this works but it can come up with a different voltage value). No matter how you measure it your coil is on and then off. It will heat up as the power is applied and then cool down as it shuts off but, even a cheap mod, will turn it off and on so quickly and the coil has a thermal mass so you will not notice it in the vape.

You can also do a circuit that will take a DC input voltage and move it up to another DC voltage. This cost a bit more than the first circuit.

You can build a circuit that will take a DC input voltage and more it down to ahother DC voltage. This is a different circuit than the one that raises voltage.

Some boards have both circuits so from 3.4 - 4.2 volts input they can produce something like 2 to 6 volts output.

Bottom line is that a regulated mod will produce a voltage, the variable wattage part includes circuitry to read the resistance of the atty and calculate a voltage to give the required voltage. In both cases the mod produces a variable voltage. Then you have to look at how the mod does these variable voltages.

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
Unregulated mods supply straight-up DC power. Regulated mods actually run at a higher voltage than you set them to (generally speaking) and use rapid on/off pulses to emulate lower power output. The quicker this pulsing is, the closer you get to an unregulated mod. If my memory serves me, a lot of the "cheaper" regulated mods (Vamo) pulse at i.e 33hz, while the Provari (and some others) pulse at 800hz or so. The numbers may be off, but you get the idea... I hope. E.g the famous "Vamo rattlesnake sound". That's the pulsing you're hearing.

This is a blanket statement that really isn't completely true. Yes unregulated mods are straight DC. And SOME regulated mods use pulsing as you speak of. It's called Pulse Wave Modulation or PWM by the way. You take a fixed DC voltage (either off batteries or by ramping up with a normal voltage multiplier, etc) and then use that max voltage pulsed at a certain frequency. Your duty cycle determines what voltage a load sees. So if your max voltage is 10 volts, and your frequency is 100Hz then if you have max voltage 50% of the time and 0 volts the rest and do this 100 times a second then the load effectively sees a 5v power source. Have max voltage 25% of the time and the load sees 2.5v, etc...

However, there are lots of regulated mods out there that are not PWM. They use power supplies that can buck/boost the voltage but still supply a fixed DC voltage, not a PWM signal.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
It's called Pulse Wave width Modulation or PWM by the way.

Fixed that for you.

The MVP does produce a very flat output signal as does the Spinner - not the issue here

OP - If you are getting a 'better vape' using watts and not volts, then something else is happening. As many have pointed out, they are bascially different ways of getting to the same place.

For me the issue is with the topper - maybe change out a coil and start from a low voltage and turn it up from there.

Saying you get a better vape using watts than volts is like saying you get to work faster using KPH than MPH.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

That's about like saying you can drive around a circle faster going clockwise than you can going counterclockwise. Maybe there's a need to check tire pressures or camber settings, but trust me, the car can go just as fast in either direction.

Ohms law is a circle, and there are always three ways to get from point A to point B.

ohmlaw.gif

So check the accuracy of the settings, air flow, and other controlling factors, because a watt is a watt regardless of the mathematical formula used.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread