Do you "torch" your wire before coiling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
This was for back when we had to wrap a wire with the right tension around SS mesh (not too loose, not too tight) also somewhat useful for silica/ekowool. Now it's completely unnecessary since you pull your wick through the coil.

Also, according to Dr. F. you shouldn't glow any material red hot. I mostly don't do it anymore bc it screws up flavor and also bc if i use a coil jig there's really no point.

Reactions: Eskie

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I do not usually torch before wrapping. But I do always straiten the wire prior to wrapping. I do fire the coil after coil is installed and before wicking to make sure it is glowing properly. Some atomizer rebuilds I torch them to make smaller micro coils to fit in atomizer after coil is wrapped. CHEERS!

Reactions: ChelsB

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
You know you can wipe it down with alcohol, instead of heating it to the point where oxides start to form
Yes you don't want to heat your heating wire. You're not melting it. Just heating it to a quick glow with a torch or flame. A dry burn puts far more stress on the wire then a quick torch.

FDA BOC

Reactions: Darth Omerta

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I don't usually, but recently I attempted a twisted build with 26ga Kanthal. The first attempt was very springy; ended up expanding quite a bit as soon as I released the tension after coiling (though I suppose I could have just coiled around a smaller mandrel to accommodate), and warped severely out of shape when I did a dry-burn after installation. On my second attempt I torched the wire both before and after twisting, and the recoil ("decoil"?) and warping were both far less extreme. It still didn't turn out very well, though, even with the torching to reduce the springiness. I guess I need to work on my twisting technique, as looking at the length of wire I have left I can see that the twists are not very even along its length; they are spaced very close together in places and then spread more far apart in others.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I don't usually, but recently I attempted a twisted build with 26ga Kanthal. The first attempt was very springy; ended up expanding quite a bit as soon as I released the tension after coiling (though I suppose I could have just coiled around a smaller mandrel to accommodate), and warped severely out of shape when I did a dry-burn after installation. On my second attempt I torched the wire both before and after twisting, and the recoil ("decoil"?) and warping were both far less extreme. It still didn't turn out very well, though, even with the torching to reduce the springiness. I guess I need to work on my twisting technique, as looking at the length of wire I have left I can see that the twists are not very even along its length; they are spaced very close together in places and then spread more far apart in others.
If you must glow it, hold the top of the coil with the tweezers while you glow it, it shouldn't be able to warp.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
If you must glow it,
I always do, I guess it's something I picked up from watching videos when I first started, and now I keep doing it to 1) find and work out any hotspots, 2) make sure they glow evenly when I'm installing a new dual-coil setup, and 3) burn off any gunk when I rewick. This is mostly coming from single-wire microcoil builds though, I don't dabble much in the more "artistic" wires. This latest twisted build were only the 2nd/3rd attempts I've made at such things.

hold the top of the coil with the tweezers while you glow it, it shouldn't be able to warp.
It, like, constricted in the middle, like a snake. I can't fit the mandrel through it anymore. I don't see how a tweezers could have prevented that. Maybe if I had a ceramic mandrel and fired it with that still in, but the one I have is a solid metal bar so that seems like a bad idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread