Do you Vape around your children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrociuos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
N.E. Ohio
i vape in front of my kids. they are 8 and 9. im almost ashamed to admit i smoked around them. i did quit smoking in the house though. they know about my stuggle with cigs. i quit for 2 years before i started vaping. i started dipping. talk about a nasty habit! my youngest still calls it skoy-al. lol. when i started vaping i sat them down and explained it to them. they were happy that it is a healthier choice for me. (they call it daddys vaporizer lol) i do vape in the house and in the car. i still crack the window in the car though. (old habits die hard) im very happy to be freebasing my nicotine again! im happy to have one less thing to worry about (cancer). vaping is the best thing to happen to me in a while!

there is a lot worse things children can and are exposed to! i do hope they never pick up smoking/vaping or any other bad habits. the best we can do is not hide our struggles from them. if they see us struggle and we try to educate them about it hopefully they will be able to learn from our mistakes and not have to find out these things the hard way.

nu2this

Jan 17, 2012
Wichita
Parenting 101: you have to do what you feel is best for your children, not what anyone else feels is best. Personally, I do vape in the house and car with my grandchildren. Their parents know and don't mind. As far as teaching them bad habits? Their mother started smoking at 26. A much worse example than Nana and her vaporizer IMHO. None of us have ever smoked in the house or car with them, though. Will they think vaping is cool and pick it up? I really doubt it, but I'm not a child or a psychologist, so what do I know? Just my 2 cents so take it for what it is worth, all of 2 cents. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your new adventure and the tough decision you have to make.

Last edited:

TheRyan

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2012
So. Cal
I have a two year old daughter and I never smoked around her, never smoked in the house or in my car so she would be exposed to minimal second hand smoke (mostly only from my clothing). Now its a little different, I do vape in the house, but never in front of her. I drift off to a different room, or even the bathroom so she doesn't see me partaking in it. I purchased a Sharp Plasmacluster Air Purifier just because we still aren't 100% sure the vapor is completely harmless. I feel pretty confident its not really a big deal and the air purifier is just a precaution should we find out something bad about it I'll feel better knowing I tried to keep it to a minimum. If not this purifier is awesome anyways, my house gets less dusty! All of my supplies are kept well out of reach from her, and wife is happy she doesn't have to kiss a ashtray anymore.

cbrociuos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
N.E. Ohio
Just my opinion but I would be more worried that the kids might find you juice and not realize how poisonous it is. Especially since it smells so good... usually.

i find it best to set them down and show them the juice. ive told them about the dangers and why they cant touch it. ive done the same thing with guns from the time they were very young. i know when i was a little kid the things that were kept hidden from me were the very things i wanted to get into. lol

just my humble opinion. im not saying its right or wrong, take it for what you will. :)

jbilod1

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Charleston, SC
Never smoked in front of my son, don't use my ego in front of him either. My wife still makes me go outside, only now, she doesn't make me hide behind the shed. My ego and 510 make it much easier to be married to a lifelong non smoker. I keep telling her I'm starting to enjoy the solitude. She still makes me go outside.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
My opinion is based on my grown son who is allergic to cigarette smoke ,it makes him really ill.He says the vapor doesn't bother him.,but people are saying the vapor leaves a film on their windows so I don't think vaping around very small children would be a good idea.(just my opinion).
I have been using E-cigs for 1 year and use it in my car all the time and have NEVER had a film on the windows. I think most people would say that film, if their is one, is not from E-cigs. Take a few puffs and blow it on your eye glasses or a mirror and watch it evaporate, and no film.

KaitLynnHt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
I probably wouldn't hesitate too much to vape around kids in general. As for my own, probably not. My son doesn't know I smoke and I prefer to keep it that way. Technically, I won't be smoking for much longer, but I'm not sure he's capable of understanding the difference. At least I can hide in my room and vape instead of hiding around the corner of the house to smoke. -_-'

TheRyan

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2012
So. Cal
I have been using E-cigs for 1 year and use it in my car all the time and have NEVER had a film on the windows. I think most people would say that film, if their is one, is not from E-cigs. Take a few puffs and blow it on your eye glasses or a mirror and watch it evaporate, and no film.

I agree about the windows. As a hobbyist car detailer, I know the 'film' that builds up on the windows is caused by materials in the cars interior heating up and "out gassing." It usually gives a cloudy appearance to the inside of the window, usually a blueish tint to it if your looking at it in the sun. Some new cars do it for a few months, others do it for 15 years.. It just depends on what materials were used when the car was manufactured. I haven't cleaned my windshield in 2 months and its still 'cloud free' and I vape for two hours a day commuting in it.

Kildred

Feb 22, 2012
Maryland

That is definitely one thing I don't miss, cleaning off that smoke film from my car windows. We used to inhale that stuff! :(

SunnyMoon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
United States
My soon to be 10 year old daughter knew I smoked. And she hated it. I always smoked outside but she always complained that I stunk and she worried about my health. Now I vape in the house. She is very proud of me for quitting coffin nails. She does understand that there is still nic in the liquid. She knows never to touch my e-cig or any of my gear. Every now and then she'll say she is so happy or proud that I'm vaping now.
She also understands that I didn't beat my addiction to nic, and that vaping is a much safer way to get it without all the bad stuff in analogs.
I have also been to other people's homes who have small children and they have allowed me to vape in their homes.

Starlight682

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
California
Just my opinion but I would be more worried that the kids might find you juice and not realize how poisonous it is. Especially since it smells so good... usually.

that is why i bought a locking filing cabinet for all my vaping supplies you can pick a cheap one up at walmart and it makes me feel so much safe, i have explained to my son that he not to touch any of the stuff, but i've also told him not to do a lot of thing and he still does them. small children are impulsive and i trust a locking cabinet way more than i trust a curious 4 yr old child

Last edited:

taxman32

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
StockBridge Georgia
Back in the day, long ago, when smoking was accepted and expected my wife and I both smoked around the kids (car and house) ten theyb started getting ear infections and the doctor informed us smoking around them didn't help. We were more careful after that meaning we would roll down the windows. That wasn't too smart. They grerw up to be as healthy as one could hope. Then along came the GKs.
That's a whole new ballgame! Not in the house (ever) or in the car when they were in it. But during the years things changed no smoking in my office or buildings so this change was not too drastic.
I now vape in front of them and around them not so much in the car as old habits are hard to break. My Granddaughter (soon to be six) loves to try and guess the flavor I'm vaping. Her grandmother still smokes and catches hell from her and my daughter about it. That used to be me. Na na nanna!!
I keep offering to load one up for her but she says she can't be bothered with all that prep. I kinda enjoy the tinkering and trying all the new stuff. Maybe some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread