Do you Vape around your children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenWill

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2012
Western Pennsylvania
I smoked in the house around the kids and I am vaping in the house around the kids. My hubby still smokes, but for the most part has been doing it outside (other than with his morning coffee and on the computer).

The kids are all cheering me on(we have 5) but the girls (2 of them....14 years old, but thats why I drink!) are really into it picking what flavor I should vape.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I agree too that it is a peer pressure thing and people start it cause it looks cool.

I didn't start because of peer pressure at all. I was sneaky and when nobody was home, I found a spare lighter and a half smoked cig in the ashtray, and answered the question I had as to what it was like. Tasted like crap but the nicotinze buzz I had no idea would go away after I started was what got me hooked ;) Now that I don't need the buzz but enjoy the nicotine, my e-cig is all I need and I'm proud of it :) I will admit though, that when I'm in an environment that may frown up on it, I stealth vape. Breathe vape in, take a 2nd breath of fresh air, then exhale, no visible vapor. No worries then.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
genxblacksmith, it sounds like you have been very open with your kids about smoking. I won't opine on whether you should vape around them or not, but it may be bad to try to keep it a 'secret activity'. I too still enjoy the 'having a break' part. If you are out behind the barn, so to speak, and hide your gear and pretend you are not vaping, someday they will find out.

Last edited:
I know. Stinking up all the bars, making me smell nasty when I get home, leaving nasty butts everywhere...wait...that used to be me....

Very true nothing like coworkers making you feel like your an alien because you smoke that is always nice as well.

Guess I will find out what they think of vaping soon enough.

But anyways good job with your parenting best way to go about it.!!

Justonf

Jul 7, 2011
Tampa, FL
I have a 6 year old and a 1 year old and have always avoided vaping where they could come in contact with any of the vapor. I have no idea if there is any actual evidence of it being harmful or safe, but better safe than sorry. It really isn't all that hard to put forth a little extra effort to not expose them to it in my opinion.

As far as them seeing me vape, I don't hide it from them, but I think that is just a decision left up to the individual parent.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Do NOT be ashamed of yourselves! Be proud. I vape around people all of the time, as of yet they have found no evidence or proof that anything is harmful to others. I don't feel that it is harmful to me, and I can assure you I felt that way every day about analogs. You can just 'tell' when things are not going well for you. And you can tell when your body is healing. To me, thats proof enough.

That being said I don't go around blowing my vapor in my childrens faces or anything of that sort, I keep it low pro but I'm not afraid OR ashamed ot pull it out and puff away, at work, outside, in the house etc.

Many people have vices, for some it's food others alcohol some cigs. If you drink a lot of caffeine, have you ever tried to stop? Thats painful. Very painful, headaches etc. it's almost as bad as kicking nic, but not quite. That being said aside from Nic being addictive and costly, it's not a real bad habbit to have, there are FAR worse. DO NOT BE ASHAMED! I choose to vape, just as I chose to smoke analogs. Was I addicted to nicotine? Yes. Did I enjoy the act of smoking? You bet I did.

If I can enjoy that act of smoking, get that nicotine that makes me feel more alert, aware, and attentive, without the harmful side affects, how am I doing anything different then say someone who is drinking 8 cups of coffee?

This stuff is getting ridiculous. Don't buy into the crap the gov and others are selling. Yes we do not know enough about it yet because it hasn't been around for 20+ years, BUT what we do know is positive, not negative. And so far nobody has debunked it. I'll tell you one thing, technology is better then ever before, it wouldn't have taken so long to prove cigs as harmful if they had the tech we have today, and the point is, it hasn't happened yet for E-Cigs.

Of course they want us thinking its bad and to be ashamed, it's easier for them to swoop in and pass harsh regulations to cripple the industry so the big-tobacco circle can keep on jerking along.
Great post, and you are mostly on the mark.

You sound like a person that might be willing to help us in the fight.
And we always need more vapers willing to join in the fight, because there most certainly is a fight going on.

I would just suggest checking out how Big Pharma is involved, rather than Big Tobacco...
The New Corporate America Business Model

And please check out this subforum if you want to learn more...
Electronic Cigarette News

And of course check out CASAA, who fights for us because they ARE us...
CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

genxblacksmith

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Gods Country
Do NOT be ashamed of yourselves! Be proud. I vape around people all of the time, as of yet they have found no evidence or proof that anything is harmful to others. I don't feel that it is harmful to me, and I can assure you I felt that way every day about analogs. You can just 'tell' when things are not going well for you. And you can tell when your body is healing. To me, thats proof enough.

That being said I don't go around blowing my vapor in my childrens faces or anything of that sort, I keep it low pro but I'm not afraid OR ashamed ot pull it out and puff away, at work, outside, in the house etc.

Many people have vices, for some it's food others alcohol some cigs. If you drink a lot of caffeine, have you ever tried to stop? Thats painful. Very painful, headaches etc. it's almost as bad as kicking nic, but not quite. That being said aside from Nic being addictive and costly, it's not a real bad habbit to have, there are FAR worse. DO NOT BE ASHAMED! I choose to vape, just as I chose to smoke analogs. Was I addicted to nicotine? Yes. Did I enjoy the act of smoking? You bet I did.

If I can enjoy that act of smoking, get that nicotine that makes me feel more alert, aware, and attentive, without the harmful side affects, how am I doing anything different then say someone who is drinking 8 cups of coffee?

This stuff is getting ridiculous. Don't buy into the crap the gov and others are selling. Yes we do not know enough about it yet because it hasn't been around for 20+ years, BUT what we do know is positive, not negative. And so far nobody has debunked it. I'll tell you one thing, technology is better then ever before, it wouldn't have taken so long to prove cigs as harmful if they had the tech we have today, and the point is, it hasn't happened yet for E-Cigs.

Of course they want us thinking its bad and to be ashamed, it's easier for them to swoop in and pass harsh regulations to cripple the industry so the big-tobacco circle can keep on jerking along.

Great post. I'm with ya brother.

One that note, I vaped in the car with my 11 year old daughter today (she's just started sitting in the front seat). We were out and about when we pulled up behind a young ladies car at a red light. Her back window was covered rough stickers and slogans. I'm already shaking my head when she says, "Why would anyone put a sticker on their car that says, "Dirty Dicks?" The much smaller letters said "crab shack, FL". I knew she was reading it but surprised she extolled on the issue. "Honey, Daddy's got to feed his nic habit." "And why does she want us to Save the Ta-Ta's"? The breast cancer awareness slogan... Puff ..."Why does it say, "I got crabs at Sharky's", they're not talking about the seafood, what are crabs?"... Puff. The longest red light ever. We're pretty open with our kids, but good god! I could not keep a straight face as I blushed... Puffed... and explained that I would kill her if she ever put that crap on the back of her car.

Yeah, I'm relaxing around my kids a bit. What else can I do? I was just glad she didn't catch the one about "Snorkeling".

Scuba Squirrel

Jan 27, 2012
Tempe
I have four wonderful kids, 10, 7, 6, and 1. I never smoked analogs around them and they never knew that I smoked. Although my 10 year old was getting suspicious when I'd disappear and come back smelling. In turn, I choose not to vape in front of them either. That's just my personal choice. I will do it in the house when they're asleep, or sneak off to the bathroom during the day. In everything that I've researched I have found nothing to say that it is harmful. I do agree with a lot of other people that if you have young kids around that you should lock up your juices. You don't want them getting into that stuff. In the end you know your kids better than anyone posting here does. Do what you feel is right for them.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
I have three children aged 11 years, 9 years and 4 months. They have grown up watching me fight my addiction. I never smoked within their eyesight or in the house. They cheered me on when I beat it back for a few months and even a year at a time. They raise hell along with my wife when I falter, sneak off and return stinking of it.

So now I vape. I explained to them what it is and how it works. "Whatever Dad, just don't smoke" is the short story. I haven't vaped in front of my children. I like the quiet outside break. I do vape in the house after I put them to bed and still feel a bit naughty about it. I do vape when I'm around my dad and I never smoked around him. I still don't vape in public. I almost vaped when the kids were in the car with me today.

Looking forward to lowering my nic levels in the coming months. Looking forward to not needing nic at all. Looking forward to not needing gear around me.

I bought my Kids their own Mods........ Just kidding.. When im driving I just crack the window a bit and blow the vapor in the general direction, its gets sucked right out..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread